Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Today 05:22 AM
8 Replies, 632 Views

Old 04-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Interview w/ BLIZZARD right before DIABLO 2 shipped - Nov 1999

Classic interview (Nov 1999) with Bill Roper of Blizzard right before Diablo 2 was being released. Hear stories about what Blizzard learned making Diablo 1, challenges of Battle.net, features cut and much more!

I loved hearing about the nuts and bolts of how they balanced the gameplay from Diablo 1 to Diablo 2... Fascinating stuff!
Metal Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
DeadPixel
Evil Dead

Excellent content MJ, makes me miss the old days I remember rushing to local game store on the first day of Diablo 2 during my work lunch break and getting 3 copies. I couldn't wait to get home to play it, so I installed it on my office computer and played the rest of the afternoon. I was lucky to have a corner cube where no one could see my screen, but they suspected I did nothing that day with a giant grin on my face.
DeadPixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #3
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

lol Blizzard, all that balance talk and did nothing to prevent duping from either Diablo 1 or 2 which made any sort of balancing a joke since people just duped Zodiac rings and Stones of Jordan etc.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

I have to apologize for my shitty Diablo 2 footage... Hadn't played the game since it came out... but it was captured on a real Windows XP machine
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

When Diablo 2 came out I thought it was total trash. I love D1 and played it seven times to completion. D2 I remember returning it to Gamestop the next day both because of the continued 640x480 which was inexcusable at the time (I know they sort of fixed it later, halfheartedly) but also because the multiplayer portals respawns crap ruined the whole feel of D1 for me. That was probably the first example of multiplayer totally downgrading the single player experience. I tried to play it a few years ago to prepare for D3, but only made it maybe a third of the way in. Had been too eclipsed by other games since then. Most notably Titan Quest which I'm re-playing as we speak on console. D3 after the auction house was fantastic even in SP, but I didn't care for any of the end-game stuff after the main campaign.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:09 PM   #6
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I wasn’t a huge fan of D2 either. I liked it but didn’t love it like I did D1. I felt like this was when Blizzard started going to the “world is ending!” well for their stories too often. D1 didn’t have this sort of grand scale in terms of story and it was so much creepier because of that.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

After having played a metric ton of D3 and now a metric half-ton of Path of Exile, I have to say I think PoE is closer to a true sequel than D3. I enjoy them both, but PoE is the better game IMO.

Too bad, really.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #8
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
After having played a metric ton of D3 and now a metric half-ton of Path of Exile, I have to say I think PoE is closer to a true sequel than D3. I enjoy them both, but PoE is the better game IMO.

Too bad, really.
Agree entirely.

Switching to World of Warcraft art direction and a half-serious, sometimes silly dialogue, made the whole "end of the world" thing seem like BS. I cared about the dialogue/story in the first 2 games. I didn't care at all in D3. It seemed like nonsense. It wanted to be silly and light while simultaneously trying to tell you thole thing was "serious business".

I missed the atmosphere, the darker art direction, the darker soundtrack, and darker storytelling.

Also they dummied down the mechanics, character progression, and loot to the point of absurdity in D3.

I've put in fairly significant time on both games, and find PoE to be the better game and the better successor to D2. D3 is just so formulaic. It's just an obvious rinse/repeat cycle with a story I didn't care about.

PoE on the other hand has that darker vibe, has the deep character building, has the more compelling story. It makes the loot in a loot driven game matter. It's not just the formula of grinding the next season to get the next best set for your class.

Yes I understand D3 was a totally different studio - so I understand WHY D3 was so far away from D2. Still doesn't make it excusable or more enjoyable. D3 isn't a bad game, especially with expansion content. It's just not at all what I wanted from a Diablo sequel and still ultimately remains a total let-down for me. Coming off of the 1000+ hours I put into D2 before the announcement of D3, I didn't foresee something just so far off the mark that D3 was.

I feel like I've typed this here once a year, but for me, because of how much I enjoyed the first 2 games, D3 (while a solid game) might be the most disappointing sequel of all time for me.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 04-20-2018 at 05:24 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, metal jesus, pc gaming