Disney's Dumbo Trailer...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 08:14 AM
12 Replies, 948 Views

Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Halloween Slices up a Monster Opening Weekend

The 2018 Halloween sequel has carved out the #1 spot on the weekend boxoffice chart with a $77 million opening weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of October 19th to October 21st, 2018.
  1. Halloween $77.5/$77.5
  2. A Star is Born $19.3/$126.3
  3. Venom $18.1/$171.1
  4. Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween $9.7/$28.8
  5. First Man $8.5/$29.9
  6. The Hate U Give $7.5/$10.6
  7. Smallfoot $6.6/$66.3
  8. Night School $5.0/$66.9
  9. Bad Times At The El Royale $3.3/$13.3
  10. The Old Man & the Gun $2.0/$4.2
  11. The House With A Clock In Its Walls $1.7/$64.9
  12. Free Solo $1.0/$3.5

Dropping 48% in the second week of release, First Man is turning into one of the largest studio losses of all time, at this point only pulling in $15 million of it's $60 million budget on a reported cost of $125 million including marketing. Ouch. Guess it doesn't pay to take a big dump on the American Flag.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
MavenACTG
Dread Lord

Was it worth it to revive the controversy so you could virtue signal? Can we just move on and let the flop be a flop?
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavenACTG View Post
Was it worth it to revive the controversy so you could virtue signal? Can we just move on and let the flop be a flop?
haha no.. but this is EA so you just filter it out after awhile.

I honestly didn't even know about the flag "controversy", and I still didn't watch it. I just do not care to see it. It looks... boring. I'll watch it, but not at the theater. I'll rent it for 5 bucks on Xbox.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
Ghostblaze
Evil Dead

I was pleasantly surprised by Halloween. Finally does the franchise some justice. Washes those shit stain Rob Zombie versions out to sea.
Ghostblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:58 AM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Venom seems to be doing pretty well. I'm sad House with the Clock isn't doing better, I like the concept but they did a shit job marketing it until right up till release date. I guess you had to be a fan of the book or something.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I heard it's a turd.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

Happy for Halloween's success. Nice!

Quote:
Can we just move on and let the flop be a flop?
Nope. Schadenfreude is too delicious to pass up when it's on the menu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
haha no.. but this is EA so you just filter it out after awhile.

I honestly didn't even know about the flag "controversy", and I still didn't watch it. I just do not care to see it. It looks... boring. I'll watch it, but not at the theater. I'll rent it for 5 bucks on Xbox.
Yeah burying your head in the sand to reality is always a wise decision. Dumb progressives.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #9
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

Quote:
I specifically didn't watch it because of the BS. I will probably never watch it, unless it's on TV and I'm drunk. Fuck that shit. I get they want to appeal to the Chinese market, but facts are facts, and removing a major one when telling a "true story" just doesn't work for me, who is an American. I can totally understand a non American not caring, though. Also a Canadian actor telling people "it's not a big deal" doesn't help. It's not that hard to understand.

I saw Halloween today. It was pretty good...but I wouldn't throw RZ's remake under the bus for it. It was basically another one of those. Which is cool, but not abnormal or inventive. My favorite part was the cops talking about the Banh Mi sandwiches, but my wife is Vietnamese so I suppose I'm biased there. Also at least half or more of the kills were off screen. It's already rated R, so why?

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:33 AM   #10
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Maybe they were going more for the vibe of the first one. The kills in that one were relatively subdued by todays standards. This film felt more like a direct sequel because of it.

As far as the flag controversy, I had never heard of it until I read it on here. Granted, that was also the first time I heard about the movie as well.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:52 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
I specifically didn't watch it because of the BS. I will probably never watch it, unless it's on TV and I'm drunk. Fuck that shit. I get they want to appeal to the Chinese market, but facts are facts, and removing a major one when telling a "true story" just doesn't work for me, who is an American. I can totally understand a non American not caring, though. Also a Canadian actor telling people "it's not a big deal" doesn't help. It's not that hard to understand.
The flag is shown multiple times; they just don't show it being planted. Their reasoning is that they wanted to focus on "unseen aspects" of Armstrong's mission , not the parts everyone has seen (like the planting of the flag). While I understand and can appreciate their reasoning, I still think the scene should have been included...mainly because it's one of those things that just kind has to be there, y'know?

With the way some people are reacting, it's almost as if they needed to see a M1 Abrams - driven by Abe Lincoln and George Washington - come tearing ass out of a crater. After fist-bumping Aldrin and Armstrong, they each shotgun an entire keg of beer, when this guy...

...comes soaring out from the horizon and plants the flag so hard the moon explodes. Everyone then rides the moon chunks back down to Earth while America, Fuck Yeah blasts in the background.

I mean...I get it. I understand why some people are upset, but the lack of the flag-planting scene probably isn't the reason why this movie is struggling out of the gate; I'd be willing to bet most people probably haven't even heard of the "controversy". It's not as if they completely omitted the flag, though; it's very much there and in multiple shots.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #12
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
With the way some people are reacting, it's almost as if they needed to see a M1 Abrams - driven by Abe Lincoln and George Washington - come tearing ass out of a crater. After fist-bumping Aldrin and Armstrong, they each shotgun an entire keg of beer, when this guy...

...comes soaring out from the horizon and plants the flag so hard the moon explodes. Everyone then rides the moon chunks back down to Earth while America, Fuck Yeah blasts in the background.
Fixed that for you.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #13
actusoul
Evil Dead

Do we need to see Trumpski in these posts. Sad...
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Do we need to see Trumpski in these posts. Sad...
Did the picture of the bad orange man trigger you and make you cry?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Chimp, the fact that you equate people wanting to see the flag planted with "FUCK YEAH! 'MURICA!" is pretty telling. And people probably wouldn't have cared much if they didn't make it a bit of a political point by calling it a human achievement instead of a national one. But they did make they point and now people are whining that there was a reaction to it.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Chimp, the fact that you equate people wanting to see the flag planted with "FUCK YEAH! 'MURICA!" is pretty telling.
The amount of vehemence behind the complaints implies that some people almost need it to be a "'MURICA! FUCK YEAH!" moment.

Personally, I think the scene should have been included. I do, however, understand their reasoning behind omitting it. I don't agree with it...but, I get it.

Quote:
And people probably wouldn't have cared much if they didn't make it a bit of a political point by calling it a human achievement instead of a national one. But they did make they point and now people are whining that there was a reaction to it.
The director and biographer didn't view it as a political statement; they both claim the intent was to focus on aspects of the mission that otherwise don't see any time in the spotlight. Gossling, however, is kind of a dumbass. While he's not wrong that it is, in fact, a human achievement, it was first and foremost an American achievement...because we're the ones that went and did it.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #17
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Chimp, the fact that you equate people wanting to see the flag planted with "FUCK YEAH! 'MURICA!" is pretty telling. And people probably wouldn't have cared much if they didn't make it a bit of a political point by calling it a human achievement instead of a national one. But they did make they point and now people are whining that there was a reaction to it.
"Moderate" lefties like Chimp still love to tell people how wrong they are. Having pride in America is so evil! You believe in national sovereignty? You must be a racccisssssst!!!

Expecting historical accuracy rather than the desire to push globalism is oh so fucking wrong isn't it Chimpout?
Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
"Moderate" lefties like Chimp still love to tell people how wrong they are. Having pride in America is so evil! You believe in national sovereignty? You must be a racccisssssst!!!
At what point did I say anything even remotely similar to that?

Quote:
Expecting historical accuracy rather than the desire to push globalism is oh so fucking wrong isn't it Chimpout?
At this point, I'm pretty sure you can't even read properly.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #19
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Gossling, however, is kind of a dumbass. While he's not wrong that it is, in fact, a human achievement, it was first and foremost an American achievement...because we're the ones that went and did it.
Whether they like it or not, Gossling is the face of the film. For him to make a statement like that makes it look like that's the intent of the film. You can't blame people for reacting to things like this. Now I personally think you're blowing these reactions out of proportion a bit. What you seem to see as getting a bit unhinged, I see as people enjoying some casual schadenfreude as Terran suggested.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #20
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
At what point did I say anything even remotely similar to that?

At this point, I'm pretty sure you can't even read properly.
Please, just drop the I'm a moderate from Maine act. Most of us see right through it.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart