4 Replies, 648 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Valve aims to combat Steam review bombing with new 'histogram' charts

PC Gamer has the story.

Quote:
"Review-bombing" is a coordinated effort to damage the public profile of a company or product by inundating it with negative reviews. Actual problems with the product in question often have nothing to do with it: Dota 2 got hammered last month because Valve won't make Half-Life 3, and more recently Firewatch suffered because of Sean Vanaman's beef with Pewdiepie. As we reported earlier this summer, it happens because it works, and it's become enough of a problem that Valve has finally been forced to address the issue.

One of the big problems facing Valve, as Alden Kroll said in a new blog post, is that review bombers are "fulfilling the goal of User Reviews" by expressing their opinions on whether or not people should buy a particular game. "But one thing we've noticed is that the issue players are concerned about can often be outside the game itself. It might be that they're unhappy with something the developer has said online, or about choices the developer has made in the Steam version of their game relative to other platforms, or simply that they don't like the developer's political convictions," he wrote.

He acknowledged that those opinions can be relevant to a player's happiness with a game purchase, but that relevance is less obvious when it comes to the actual review score. Data indicates that in most cases, review scores recover to an appropriate level once the bombing campaign is over, but there's no apparent correlation between a developer's response (or lack thereof) to complaints and the score's bounceback.

"In short, review bombs make it harder for the Review Score to achieve its goal of accurately representing the likelihood that you'd be happy with your purchase if you bought them," Kroll said.
Read on.
Emabulator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:34 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
"It might be that they're unhappy with something the developer has said online, or about choices the developer has made in the Steam version of their game relative to other platforms, or simply that they don't like the developer's political convictions,"
If you're unhappy with a developer it is absolutely legitimate to let others know about that. It's even MORE legitimate to be upset if one version of the game disappoints you relative to other platforms.

Solution: Only allow verified owners to review games. Next, for the overall score of a game assign increasing weight to scores given by people who have played the game longer. Thus, bombers who don't own the game can't review, and bombers who've played the game an hour count far less than those who've played for ten or twenty.

Their approach isn't bad, but I think mine is better.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Hillary's book got bombed on Amazon. Amazon deleted the reviews. Thing is Amazon is a liberal fag so they prolly fixed the reviews to favor the book.

Metacritic has also peaked my attention a couple of time for inaccurate reviews.

I think the bottom line is...there is enough information out there as a whole to let people know what they will like and not like.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Amazon will delete reviews that are not Amazon.com verified and are obviously trolling. If they are verified, they don't give a shit.

The issue with review bombs is that everyone only cares when it is used negatively (review down) and not positively (review up). You can't really have it one way. Positive review spikes (outside of the initial release or DLC) should have the same warning, not just when it is negative.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
If you're unhappy with a developer it is absolutely legitimate to let others know about that. It's even MORE legitimate to be upset if one version of the game disappoints you relative to other platforms.

Solution: Only allow verified owners to review games. Next, for the overall score of a game assign increasing weight to scores given by people who have played the game longer. Thus, bombers who don't own the game can't review, and bombers who've played the game an hour count far less than those who've played for ten or twenty.

Their approach isn't bad, but I think mine is better.
This is pretty much the only viable solution: Limit reviews to people who actually own and have played the game.

Amazon has the "verified purchase" tag, but Valve should take that a step further. If you don't own the game, you really shouldn't be reviewing it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This is pretty much the only viable solution: Limit reviews to people who actually own and have played the game.

Amazon has the "verified purchase" tag, but Valve should take that a step further. If you don't own the game, you really shouldn't be reviewing it.
But what if you've played it on PC outside of Steam and have a legit review?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #7
dirtbag
El Matador

Haha - the people who normally say "free speech has consequences" to punish / get fired those they dislike are now complaining that a Dev should be able to express opinions without facing backlash through review-bombing.
dirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #8
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbag View Post
Haha - the people who normally say "free speech has consequences" to punish / get fired those they dislike are now complaining that a Dev should be able to express opinions without facing backlash through review-bombing.
Liberals are always in a state of perpetual outrage.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Sounds like Valve is reacting to pressure from Bethesda over the current review bombing of Fallout 4 following the almost laughably offensive Creation Club launch. Recent reviews have it down to 13% and "Overwhelmingly Negative". And deservedly so.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Tough shit, lol. Buy it on Steam if you want to comment on it on Steam.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
If you bought it outside of Steam and don't use Steam to access the game, then it really doesn't make much sense to use Steam as a means to review the game.

This is precisely why Amazon has issues with their review system; they let anyone and everyone review products, regardless of whether or not they even own the friggin' thing they're bitching about.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

I still think my solution is best:

* Verified Steam owner of game.
* Minimum one hour playtime.
* Review 'score' receives multiplier effect for increasing number of hours played, so someone who played for ten hours has a more important review than someone who played for just one hour.

We've all played games that sucked for the first few hours and then got better, or that sucked initially and then got patch-repaired. This allows for that.

Now where's my check!??!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:53 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
Then go review it wherever you bought it from. Only verified purchases should be allowed to review.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
What about those shitty ports that CTD?
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #15
Juan
Evil Dead

Quote:
I still think my solution is best:

* Verified Steam owner of game.
* Review 'score' receives multiplier effect for increasing number of hours played, so someone who played for ten hours has a more important review than someone who played for just one hour.

We've all played games that sucked for the first few hours and then got better, or that sucked initially and then got patch-repaired. This allows for that.

Now where's my check!??!
Agree, with all but the multiplier. If you buy the game, you also buy the right to have an opinion on it. Hence why Spectral has no right to talk about BOTW.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #16
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Agree, with all but the multiplier. If you buy the game, you also buy the right to have an opinion on it. Hence why Spectral has no right to talk about BOTW.
"buy the right to have an opinion on it"

that's so fucking stupid. I can have an opinion on lots of things I don't buy.

"right to talk about BoTW"

are you that triggered by someone speaking ill of something you like?

I think review bombing has it's purposes. The Fallout Creation club is a perfect example. The developer deserves all the hate it's getting.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:22 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
"buy the right to have an opinion on it"

that's so fucking stupid. I can have an opinion on lots of things I don't buy.
This isn't incorrect; you can, in fact have opinions about things you haven't had any experience with.

It doesn't mean that opinion is worth a damn, but it sure is out there.

Quote:
"right to talk about BoTW"

are you that triggered by someone speaking ill of something you like?
It's one thing for someone to have a negative opinion about something if they've tried it and just don't like it. It's an entirely different matter when someone bags on something when they have absolutely no experience with it whatsoever.

Their opinion isn't worth a good goddamn, but it sure is out there.

Quote:
I think review bombing has it's purposes. The Fallout Creation club is a perfect example. The developer deserves all the hate it's getting.
I have mixed feelings about review bombing. Personally, it doesn't affect my buying decisions because I (along with the rest of us here) tend to be savvy enough to realize whats going on when it happens; it's typically just a temper tantrum being thrown by the community for whatever game is getting slammed.

The Creation Club is a crappy idea, but crashing a game's user review score over one shitty feature that doesn't affect the overall game is kind of immature...but, on the other hand, it does get the message across in a very noticeable manner.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #18
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It doesn't mean that opinion is worth a damn, but it sure is out there.

Their opinion isn't worth a good goddamn, but it sure is out there.
Yeah, I didn't say anything about the worth of the opinion. Just that you can share it and people will decide what to do with it.

Also, the community will find ways to get their message across. This is just a setback as Metzen would say.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
What about those shitty ports that CTD?
That's not a shitty port, that's a features of the Windows OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Hence why Spectral has no right to talk about BOTW.
This is different. We're on a hobbyist site, akin to a corner pub where everyone tosses their opinions out about all kinds of random shit. The owner allows it as well.

A storefront doesn't have to let you shit on their products IN THEIR STORE ever. At all. Period. Now, a digital storefront may want to provide an avenue for legitimate customers of products to review those products, but they don't have to do that on their own 'site' or 'property,' and they certainly can limit people in any way they see fit.

Quote:
I can have an opinion on lots of things I don't buy.
And the store has no obligation to let you use their property as an avenue to publicize those opinions. Period. It's their store. They can do as they see fit.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #20
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
And the store has no obligation to let you use their property as an avenue to publicize those opinions. Period. It's their store. They can do as they see fit.
Yeah, I was talking more about this site than the store, since spectral's opinion came on BotW became relevant.

Tags
steam, valve