21 Replies, 1,466 Views
» Promotion

Old 09-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Square Enix is trying to get full-fat Final Fantasy 15 on Nintendo Switch

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
There was some speculation that the Switch would get Final Fantasy 15: Pocket Edition, a mobile spin-off that takes the original game's story and delivers it across 10 episodic chapters tailored for touchscreens, but it sounds as if Square Enix is attempting to get a version of the console game running on Nintendo's hardware.

"We're actually doing very specific technical investigations into what's possible at the moment," Tabata told us at Square Enix's Shinjuku offices ahead of this week's Tokyo Game Show. "Where we are at the moment - we've completed those tests and have worked out where the ground lies. We're currently in the middle of the discussion and debate about what we should be doing, and how to realise that on the Switch.

"The other thing - you see the mobile version, the PC version, one thing we value is to optimise the way the game plays and the experience for the individual hardware it's on rather than a one-size fits all approach. We can't currently announce anything - we haven't come to a full decision on the best way to do it yet. We're having very open, frank discussions with Nintendo at the moment about what they think is the best thing to do. It's all under investigation."

Last week Bethesda made the surprise announcement that it's bringing the recent Doom and the forthcoming Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus to Nintendo Switch, which gives us some cause for optimism when it comes to seeing current-gen console ports on the hybrid hardware. Whether that'd be possible for Final Fantasy 15, meanwhile, seems uncertain right now - though there are options that Square Enix are open to exploring.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Ha, I was just going to post this story!
Old 09-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

Its all about that file size right?

For some reason id buy a game on Switch over the prettier PS4/Bone version...because carts.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

It is going to be two fold: system power and file size. You could put the game on a cart as-is, but it is going to cost Square a ton of money for the carts, and the Switch hardware will not be able to run the game as-is. But now that Square is working on a proper PC port, it is not impossible that they can use what they learned developing for minimum-spec hardware and apply it to a Switch port.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:15 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Is this even a good game?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Its all about that file size right?

For some reason id buy a game on Switch over the prettier PS4/Bone version...because carts.
Lol fail logic is fail. May as well just say I like inferior versions of games because carts.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Lol fail logic is fail. May as well just say I like inferior versions of games because carts.
No you fucking numpty. I buy the cart for long term storage and collecting and buy the PC/Steam version for .50 cent when the fuck ever, if and when i give a shit about visuals. Most of the time i just dont.

When you have witnessed graphics progress from pac man on teh 2600 to Mario Sunshine on the GCN you really tend to not care about the shitty little advances we currently get. Your vag might get soggy at the difference between doom on PC and switch but i could give a shit. Doom is $8 on PC Now fuck off already.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Hopefully the cart they put it on will still cost under $100.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Nintendo Switch cards are limited to 32GB by Nintendo. So whatever they end up doing MUST fit into 32GB. This is probably because BluRay single layer is limited to 25GB. Do we know if any games have ever used 50GB BluRay dual lair? Not that it matter since its not like Switch carts need 4K, or even full HD, textures.

Meanwhile I have a 128GB micro SD in my Switch, so I don't know why the hell Nintendo was so cheap here.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Speaking of which.... why did no one ever make a game call Duel Lair? The ultimate pun!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Do we know if any games have ever used 50GB BluRay dual lair? Not that it matter since its not like Switch carts need 4K, or even full HD, textures.
I don't really check the disc size, but all the current disc consoles install the games on the harddrive so they do not have to deal with compressed contents and the slow rotation speeds on the disc. So something like Final Fantasy XV will take up a good 45GB of space once it is taken off of the disc. So you either have lower quality assets on the cart, or use higher compression but then have longer load times/hitches as the game decompresses the assets.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
shadow763
Lord of Woe

So it will take two carts.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
so I don't know why the hell Nintendo was so cheap here.
You answered your own question!!! Rhetorical?
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #14
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

No, it won't decompress on the fly. What it will do is decompress from cart to SD card, hence the new games now requiring SD cards. (because their internal memory is also a limited joke at 32GB. If there were no limit to the cart size, I bet this would never be needed. Check it out:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...messy_solution
Old 09-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Oh shit, I didn't know that. I thought the advantage of the cart was that it did not need to install into SD or internal memory and SD and internal memory was only used for patches and DLC. So if retail games will also need a large amount of internal storage, this is going to really kill my enjoyment of the Switch.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
...this is going to really kill my enjoyment of the Switch.
You know what would really kill my enjoyment of the Switch? The Switch.

ba dum psssssh.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:07 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

Oh you! But you are right, to a degree. The Switch is in an odd place in my house. Not really something I would want to play portable and I really can't take it seriously as a dedicated console. But I bought it for Nintendo games, so I really don't mind if it will not see that much loving over the next couple of years.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nintendo Switch cards are limited to 32GB by Nintendo. So whatever they end up doing MUST fit into 32GB. This is probably because BluRay single layer is limited to 25GB.
Switch cards are not limited by Nintendo per se. Macronix, who manufactures the cards has only recently begun ramping up 64 and 128GB versions, so 1) They aren't widely available and therefore 2) They aren't going to be cheap compared to the 32GB version. Larger cards are coming, though most games hardly go over a single layer BRD anyway.

Also Switch can read cards >32GB cards.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #19
Pumped'Up
Evil Dead

Switch is still around? I thought Nintendo stopped making them, haven't seen it on any store shelves since launch. Ah well, doesn't matter, looks like square is desparate with sales even on a ghost system.
Pumped'Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumped'Up View Post
Switch is still around? I thought Nintendo stopped making them, haven't seen it on any store shelves since launch. Ah well, doesn't matter, looks like square is desparate with sales even on a ghost system.
oh dude, you've really done it. Now you will have the nintendo snowflake force after you.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
final fantasy xiv, square enix, switch