11 Replies, 457 Views
Goddamn people
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 12:11 PM
9 Replies, 565 Views

Old 02-06-2019, 11:40 PM   #21
Tolgar
Evil Dead

The only F2P I broke my MT rule on was warframe, and that was just extra inventory space for frames/guns and a couple cosmetics like a good cape you couldn't earn in game, $10 here and there over the 6 months I played it was worth to me. But not buying the actual "prime" stuff, actually tried to see how far I could get without owning any prime stuff.

This shit gets in your head, specially if there is a way for them to drip feed you points to unlock items. Its like I'm back playing FFXIV and if you weren't doing your weekly/daily stuff to get your tokens to unlock your armor, you were just.... sub optimal outside of the raid scene. These new games and methods are just FEEDING on these things to keep them going. Old days I could play when my friends were on and just do whatever. Now? I might as well uninstall every other game I have, they aren't gonna be touched.

I have the whale dopamine brain, thank god I don't have the funds or non-scrupulous mindset to empty someone else's bank account to keep the digital heroin coming. Not enough education on the planet to help parents keep this stuff in moderation or their kids away from it. It doesn't help when EVERYONE else they know is playing. Good luck people.
Tolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #22
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Actually his way of thinking isn't wrong. It makes far more sense than getting nickle and dimed to death with MT's.
For games that are multi-player, no, this kind of thinking is not wrong. You can potentially entice more players to give it a shot because it is free to play, and you can potentially then make more money off of them through microtransactions. This is why the successful DOTA clones start free to play.

Personally, I would not mind if all MP experiences went free to play since a) I am not a huge fan of PVP and b) I like playing new and shiny things.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #23
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
For games that are multi-player, no, this kind of thinking is not wrong. You can potentially entice more players to give it a shot because it is free to play, and you can potentially then make more money off of them through microtransactions. This is why the successful DOTA clones start free to play.

Personally, I would not mind if all MP experiences went free to play since a) I am not a huge fan of PVP and b) I like playing new and shiny things.
I'm talking in general, SP games shouldn't have this sort of shit at all.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:40 AM   #24
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgar View Post
Not enough education on the planet to help parents keep this stuff in moderation or their kids away from it. It doesn't help when EVERYONE else they know is playing. Good luck people.
Well I disagree here. We've made quite a big point with our kids that microtransactions are a waste of cash most of the time. They did chip in to buy the Fortnite Battle Royal season pass once (after a lot of back and forth with us) but we haven't allowed them to use real money to buy anything else in any other game. Since then they've bought the season pass using Vbucks they earned in Save the World. Even then we've cautioned them repeatedly to be cautious with those Vbucks and they'll only spend them on something they both agree on (which isn't very much these days.) But again, no cash involved and they appear to have it drilled into their heads now that it would be a waste of cash anyway. Will they be able to go around my back when they get older? Yeah probably but right now they seem to be pretty level headed about it all even though some of their friends are not.

I'm not saying all of this to brag about my wife and I. I'm only saying that it's very possible to do it. It just takes some consistency and the willingness to follow through when you say "no" to the kids.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #25
Booda
Beam another Blast

Again, with the current gaming culture there is no accounting for taste. Publishers (& unfortunately in some cases, developers it would seem) have figured out that they can put out a cheap, extremely dumbed-down experience on every level & the idiots out there will not only eat it up, they will pay bookoo bucks to do so.

Current game design philosophy on the so called ďTriple AĒ level in many cases is: Eat Shit
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #26
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Actually his way of thinking isn't wrong. It makes far more sense than getting nickle and dimed to death with MT's.
Self-fucking-control.. or lack thereof is ruining people who adhere said way of thinking.. in regards to f2p games.

Oh look someone is giving away stuff I enjoy for free, but I have the option of purchasing other items from them to enhance my experience in using the free stuff. FUCK HOW DARE THEY!
Old 02-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #27
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolgar View Post
The only F2P I broke my MT rule on was warframe, and that was just extra inventory space for frames/guns and a couple cosmetics like a good cape you couldn't earn in game, $10 here and there over the 6 months I played it was worth to me. But not buying the actual "prime" stuff, actually tried to see how far I could get without owning any prime stuff.

This shit gets in your head, specially if there is a way for them to drip feed you points to unlock items. Its like I'm back playing FFXIV and if you weren't doing your weekly/daily stuff to get your tokens to unlock your armor, you were just.... sub optimal outside of the raid scene. These new games and methods are just FEEDING on these things to keep them going. Old days I could play when my friends were on and just do whatever. Now? I might as well uninstall every other game I have, they aren't gonna be touched.

I have the whale dopamine brain, thank god I don't have the funds or non-scrupulous mindset to empty someone else's bank account to keep the digital heroin coming. Not enough education on the planet to help parents keep this stuff in moderation or their kids away from it. It doesn't help when EVERYONE else they know is playing. Good luck people.
Some people said fuck peer pressure. Some people went to Jonestown and downed the flavor aid.

Darwinism in action.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well I disagree here. We've made quite a big point with our kids that microtransactions are a waste of cash most of the time. They did chip in to buy the Fortnite Battle Royal season pass once (after a lot of back and forth with us) but we haven't allowed them to use real money to buy anything else in any other game. Since then they've bought the season pass using Vbucks they earned in Save the World. Even then we've cautioned them repeatedly to be cautious with those Vbucks and they'll only spend them on something they both agree on (which isn't very much these days.) But again, no cash involved and they appear to have it drilled into their heads now that it would be a waste of cash anyway. Will they be able to go around my back when they get older? Yeah probably but right now they seem to be pretty level headed about it all even though some of their friends are not.

I'm not saying all of this to brag about my wife and I. I'm only saying that it's very possible to do it. It just takes some consistency and the willingness to follow through when you say "no" to the kids.
Its amazing what a bit of parenting and personal responsibility can do
Old 02-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #29
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm talking in general, SP games shouldn't have this sort of shit at all.
hence my hate for elite dangerous and my constant writing trainers for it.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 AM   #30
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Again, with the current gaming culture there is no accounting for taste. Publishers (& unfortunately in some cases, developers it would seem) have figured out that they can put out a cheap, extremely dumbed-down experience on every level & the idiots out there will not only eat it up, they will pay bookoo bucks to do so.

Current game design philosophy on the so called ďTriple AĒ level in many cases is: Eat Shit
Which is why it's all the more impressive when a dev clearly puts some effort into it, and offers it up for free! I mean it's a win/win for the dev and gamers.

PUBG and CoD... Those are the people ripping you off with sub-par experiences and charging you for it in this case.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #31
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Which is why it's all the more impressive when a dev clearly puts some effort into it, and offers it up for free! I mean it's a win/win for the dev and gamers.
One more time Moz since you seem to have trouble following me.

What Respawn created here is incredible.

What Respawn crapped out here... is shit.

Shit tastes like shit even when it's free.

Have a mint Moz... your breath smells like shit.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #32
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

See Booda? It's just so hard to take you seriously when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

No one is arguing that Titanfall 2 is anything less than an incredible game. But it also launched with a full price tag.

Now you're looking at a free game, saying it's shit because...? Why? Are the mechanics crap? Is it a buggy mess? Voice talent no good?

I mean I'm pretty sure the consensus at this point is it's a quality product so what exactly makes it shit? Is it the completely optional cosmetic system? Is that the marker of a shit game to you?

If you could give some specifics maybe people could take you more seriously.

Last edited by Mozain; 02-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #33
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
See Booda? It's just so hard to take you seriously when you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

No one is arguing that Titanfall 2 is anything less than an incredible game. But it also launched with a full price tag.

Now you're looking at a free game, saying it's shit because...? Why? Are the mechanics crap? Is it a buggy mess? Voice talent no good?

I mean I'm pretty sure the consensus at this point is it's a quality product so what exactly makes it shit? Is it the completely optional cosmetic system? Is that the marker of a shit game to you?

If you could give some specifics maybe people could take you more seriously.
For the love of God MozÖ that steady diet of eating shit because itís free has completely rotted your ability to comprehend. I need you to follow me here. Remember that Respawn developed Titanfall 2. Respawn (the same studio that developed Titanfall 2) also developed Apex Legends. Keep this in mind. Itís important for you to understand that when reading what follows.

Yes, compared to Titanfall 2Ö Apex Legends plays like shit. The gameplay is watered down, dumbed-down shit compared to Titanfall 2.

Mozain: Fuck it bro, itís free so why not?

Yes, compared to Titanfall 2Ö Apex Legends looks like shit. The art direction/design is watered down, dumbed-down shit compared to Titanfall 2.

Mozain: Fuck it bro, itís free so why not?

Iím not even going to get into the whole cosmetic store, loot boxes, season pass & who knows what all else to nickel & dime the shit eaters. Not to mention that BR mode in general is mostly lazy & boring as shit.

I donít think the game is shit just because itís free. I do however think the game is free because itís shit.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:14 AM   #34
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Ah so we get to the heart of the matter:

Booda: They didn't make the game I wanted them to make! *cry cry*

They made the game you wanted, hell they made 2 of them. People didn't buy them. I get you want them to make a third, I do too, and who knows maybe this will allow them to do so and get their name more prominent on the map so people will buy it this time around.

You're completely missing the context of price point for product. People expect a product they pay for to look better, be better, who wouldn't? It's not "Fuck it bro it's free" (who says "bro" besides you anyways?) it's "This is a quality free product among a sea of shitty free products".

You seem to have a huge issue that they decided not to go the same route that failed them two times before. Why? It would be absolutely insane for them to go with a failed formula for a third time, it makes zero sense.

And you want to talk about shitty cosmetic stores nickle and diming you? Titanfall 2 had one of the more egregious examples I can think of. Only using real cash instead of an in-game currency? Having to purchase things in a bundle? Tying increased XP gains to those purchases? Fuck, that's downright disgusting on every level and is certainly a black mark on an otherwise excellent game.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #35
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Devil's advocate, how is Booda not liking what they make crying and you not liking Booda's opinion not crying? I'm fine with the game industry doing whatever makes them the cash they're trying to make. It doesn't mean I have to like it and the older I get, the less it matters anyway. I'm not their market anymore and I don't really have the time and energy to put into the hobby anyway.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM   #36
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Devil's advocate, how is Booda not liking what they make crying and you not liking Booda's opinion not crying? I'm fine with the game industry doing whatever makes them the cash they're trying to make. It doesn't mean I have to like it and the older I get, the less it matters anyway. I'm not their market anymore and I don't really have the time and energy to put into the hobby anyway.
Because saying "What Respawn crapped out here... is shit" isn't an "I don't like this game, it's not for me, my opinion, etc...", plenty of people have said that in these forums already and that's fine and dandy, not everything is for everyone.

He's attempting to say that Respawn did something objectively bad here, that there was no time, effort, or thought put into something when everything we see/experience points to the opposite in fact.

It's one thing to say something isn't to your taste. It's another to try and paint something like a cheap asset flip like what Booda is doing.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:23 PM   #37
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Ah so we get to the heart of the matter:

Booda: They didn't make the game I wanted them to make! *cry cry*
Am I crying about it? Nope.

Am I voicing my disapproval of a studio that I admire for crapping out a shitty product? You bet I am you herd mentality shit eater.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #38
Terran
Evil Dead

Hey now, herds can be smart too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #39
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Am I crying about it? Nope.

Am I voicing my disapproval of a studio that I admire for crapping out a shitty product? You bet I am you herd mentality shit eater.
See Chief? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's very personal to Booda for some reason.

What if I told you that it's not a shitty product? What if I said it's a better product than what other companies are actually charging people for? And not only that, it's at a $0 cost!

I mean the product may not be for you (or others), but I don't think anyone besides you is saying it's not a quality product.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #40
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:

He's attempting to say that Respawn did something objectively bad here, that there was no time, effort, or thought put into something when everything we see/experience points to the opposite in fact.
Im going to have to call bullshit on this. Thatís just my opinion of course.

Tags
apex legends