Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Trek Picard First...
Last post by Azzy
Today 11:54 AM
15 Replies, 653 Views
Metal Jesus in JAPAN -...
Last post by PacerDawn
Today 09:25 AM
19 Replies, 910 Views
Pure Evil - Brightburn!
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:59 AM
0 Replies, 93 Views
VB Code / Image Help
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:29 AM
5 Replies, 202 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:29 AM
18,435 Replies, 3,327,697 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:13 PM
4,275 Replies, 767,531 Views
Terminator Dark Fate...
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:09 PM
34 Replies, 1,367 Views
Sonic Delayed due to...
Last post by ministryofwrath
Yesterday 05:31 PM
3 Replies, 343 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #41
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Im going to have to call bullshit on this. Thatís just my opinion of course.
Well you can ask him yourself really. He just said he disapproves of Respawn "crapping out a shitty product".

If that's not trying to say that Respawn did something objectively bad then I don't know what is ^_^
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #42
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
See Chief? This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. It's very personal to Booda for some reason.

What if I told you that it's not a shitty product? What if I said it's a better product than what other companies are actually charging people for? And not only that, it's at a $0 cost!

I mean the product may not be for you (or others), but I don't think anyone besides you is saying it's not a quality product.
Ok, MozÖ since you still canít wrap your head around what Iím trying to say when I speak to you directly about the situation, weíll try an analogy this time.

Letís say I head to one of my favorite upscale restaurants for dinner. When I patron this place, I expect a certain level of quality/service. I expect to see something along the lines of a pittsburgh filet mignon au poivre (cold in the middle naturally), Duck aílOrange or a rack of lamb served with a rich cabernet sauce set in front of me. In other words, something tip top & impressive. & I of course know that Iím going to pay a premium for that sort of quality/service & am more than happy to do so.

What I donít expect from one of my favorite upscale restaurants is to be served a pile of shit. & free or not, I Ďm not eating said shit. Now if you & all the other shit eaters come in the restaurant eating all of their free shit (& a certain % of you all actually paying to eat the free shit), pretty soon itís probably just going to be shit on the menu, free or otherwise. Now all of you shit eaters have ruined that great restaurant.

Hello? Moz? Any of this soaking in?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #43
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Ok, MozÖ since you still canít wrap your head around what Iím trying to say when I speak to you directly about the situation, weíll try an analogy this time.

Letís say I head to one of my favorite upscale restaurants for dinner. When I patron this place, I expect a certain level of quality/service. I expect to see something along the lines of a pittsburgh filet mignon au poivre (cold in the middle naturally), Duck aílOrange or a rack of lamb served with a rich cabernet sauce set in front of me. In other words, something tip top & impressive. & I of course know that Iím going to pay a premium for that sort of quality/service & am more than happy to do so.

What I donít expect from one of my favorite upscale restaurants is to be served a pile of shit. & free or not, I Ďm not eating said shit. Now if you & all the other shit eaters come in the restaurant eating all of their free shit (& a certain % of you all actually paying to eat the free shit), pretty soon itís probably just going to be shit on the menu, free or otherwise. Now all of you shit eaters have ruined that great restaurant.

Hello? Moz? Any of this soaking in?
Let's go for a more appropriate analogy if we absolutely must use analogies shall we?

First part? All good, you got to the upscale restaurant, you get your fancy food, you pay for it, fantastic! Delicious! Restaurant's a bit empty but hey, great place!

Second part is disingenuous and what I mean by noting that you seem to think what they did is an objectively bad thing (feel free to correct that).

A more appropriate analogy would be the same company that has the fancy restaurant now opened up a burger joint! Not as fancy, but hell people like burgers. You go there, and well it's the best damn burger you've ever eaten! Best burger on the market in fact. Great toppings, meat's cooked to perfection, nice home made delicious bun. Sure not as fancy as pittsburgh filet mignon au poivre, but so few things are. And what's this? They gave you that meal for free? And you can keep getting it whenever you want? Well now sure you could tip them, or pay to get some different sauces on there, but you know what? It doesn't really need it, completely your choice.

We all agree shit is bad. The game is not shit, not by a long shot. You talking about it like it is does you a disservice. Now you may not like the game style (BR games/burgers), but to say that people who do enjoy it are also shit? Come on man.

And I get what you're saying about the "future of games", I really do. But you gotta see the truth in all this right? It was do or die time for Respawn. That fancy restaurant? It was their second attempt at doing that restaurant and it closed up shop after a few months. Who knows, maybe they'll take their profits from the so far very (and oddly) successful burger joint and try again. I hope they do.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #44
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Because saying "What Respawn crapped out here... is shit" isn't an "I don't like this game, it's not for me, my opinion, etc...", plenty of people have said that in these forums already and that's fine and dandy, not everything is for everyone.

He's attempting to say that Respawn did something objectively bad here, that there was no time, effort, or thought put into something when everything we see/experience points to the opposite in fact.

It's one thing to say something isn't to your taste. It's another to try and paint something like a cheap asset flip like what Booda is doing.
Says the guy who was crying that a single title wasn't on steam due to a timed exclusive deal. Pot meet kettle much?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #45
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Says the guy who was crying that a single title wasn't on steam due to a timed exclusive deal. Pot meet kettle much?
Says the guy crying that they took a title off steam, increased the price on it (for some users, like me), and expected me to pay that price for an inferior service... Come on Spectral, there's no need to misconstrue the conversation we had, you can let all the gory details out, they won't hurt you.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #46
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
A more appropriate analogy would be the same company that has the fancy restaurant now opened up a burger joint! Not as fancy, but hell people like burgers. You go there, and well it's the best damn burger you've ever eaten! Best burger on the market in fact. Great toppings, meat's cooked to perfection, nice home made delicious bun. Sure not as fancy as pittsburgh filet mignon au poivre, but so few things are. And what's this? They gave you that meal for free? And you can keep getting it whenever you want? Well now sure you could tip them, or pay to get some different sauces on there, but you know what? It doesn't really need it, completely your choice.
Subscribe me to your newsletter.

Quote:
That fancy restaurant? It was their second attempt at doing that restaurant and it closed up shop after a few months. Who knows, maybe they'll take their profits from the so far very (and oddly) successful burger joint and try again. I hope they do.
Renew my subscription.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #47
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead
 
ElektroDragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 10,757
I don't think I've encountered a single F2P game that wasn't shit in some profound way. They just don't put in the effort into it they would for a paid game! They treat it more like fish bait. "Let's throw this crap out there and see if anyone bites!" Since they have no guarantee of immediate ROI from sales, then don't invest the cash up front to make it amazing either!

I mean even the example everyone always comes up with, Path of Exile, wasn't that great, but I will admit it comes closest. But sorry, I'd still rather play Diablo 3 or the Interplay/Obsidian RPGs.
__________________
Proud to be perma-banned 5 times on NeoGAF.
ElektroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #48
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Let's go for a more appropriate analogy if we absolutely must use analogies shall we?

First part? All good, you got to the upscale restaurant, you get your fancy food, you pay for it, fantastic! Delicious! Restaurant's a bit empty but hey, great place!

Second part is disingenuous and what I mean by noting that you seem to think what they did is an objectively bad thing (feel free to correct that).

A more appropriate analogy would be the same company that has the fancy restaurant now opened up a burger joint! Not as fancy, but hell people like burgers. You go there, and well it's the best damn burger you've ever eaten! Best burger on the market in fact. Great toppings, meat's cooked to perfection, nice home made delicious bun. Sure not as fancy as pittsburgh filet mignon au poivre, but so few things are. And what's this? They gave you that meal for free? And you can keep getting it whenever you want? Well now sure you could tip them, or pay to get some different sauces on there, but you know what? It doesn't really need it, completely your choice.

We all agree shit is bad. The game is not shit, not by a long shot. You talking about it like it is does you a disservice. Now you may not like the game style (BR games/burgers), but to say that people who do enjoy it are also shit? Come on man.

And I get what you're saying about the "future of games", I really do. But you gotta see the truth in all this right? It was do or die time for Respawn. That fancy restaurant? It was their second attempt at doing that restaurant and it closed up shop after a few months. Who knows, maybe they'll take their profits from the so far very (and oddly) successful burger joint and try again. I hope they do.
Yeah well if I was to have Chef Joel Robuchon (who unfortunately passed away last August) over to the house to cook dinner, I wouldn't want him to shit on a plate & serve it to me, free or not. Much less tip him for it.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #49
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
Says the guy crying that they took a title off steam, increased the price on it (for some users, like me), and expected me to pay that price for an inferior service... Come on Spectral, there's no need to misconstrue the conversation we had, you can let all the gory details out, they won't hurt you.
I didn't demand you pay shit, All I did was suggest that people support developers earning more. That's it. However feel free to continue creating strawmen, you seem to have that down quite pat. It's not my fault you live in a semi socialist country and your dollar is worth 70 fucking cents. That's on you.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #50
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Yeah well if I was to have Chef Joel Robuchon (who unfortunately passed away last August) over to the house to cook dinner, I wouldn't want him to shit on a plate & serve it to me, free or not. Much less tip him for it.
Yah but that's just you hand waving impotently against an industry trend again.

Hell it looks like they may have even invented a new kind of scope optics system for the game that adjusts the mil dot dynamically based on elevation (according to them, an industry first).

This is once more, a great QoL thing that shows they aren't just shitting out something for a quick buck.

And say what you want but it also looks like they've passed 10 million users and 1 million concurrent in 72 hours. A burger it may be, but shit it is clearly not.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #51
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge
 
Mozain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canada eh!
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I didn't demand you pay shit, All I did was suggest that people support developers earning more. That's it. However feel free to continue creating strawmen, you seem to have that down quite pat. It's not my fault you live in a semi socialist country and your dollar is worth 70 fucking cents. That's on you.
I will never support developers earning more at the expense of the customers they serve (Earning more not at customer expense? Go crazy). They exist to serve us, not the other way around.
Mozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #52
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I will never support developers earning more at the expense of the customers they serve (Earning more not at customer expense? Go crazy). They exist to serve us, not the other way around.
That's a giant turd of bullshit right there. How are they earning more off you if Epic is taking less of a cut from them than Valve is? How does that even affect the consumer? Oh wait it doesn't. Again if your dollar wasn't worth shit which is beyond Epic's control or the developer's control why are you then blaming said developer rather than voting idiots like Tredouche out of office to fix your economy?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #53
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I don't think I've encountered a single F2P game that wasn't shit in some profound way.
I could say the same of full price games. No game is perfect. All have things that bug me. But, a great F2P game?

Path of Exile. /thread
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 PM   #54
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I could say the same of full price games. No game is perfect. All have things that bug me. But, a great F2P game?

Path of Exile. /thread
Do you even buy full priced games or just spend your time with mobile garbage and f2p tripe?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #55
Syloney
Squire
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I don't think I've encountered a single F2P game that wasn't shit in some profound way.
Granted you said 'encountered'. If you look around, the F2P can be quite a successful business model if implemented properly. Take for instance League of Legends.
Yes! League.

I started playing the game right after it launched and got 2 friends to join. We played countless nights and early mornings, till we surprisingly together stopped playing around mid Season 2. Now I can't give an estimate to the number of hours I and them spent, but one thing was certain, we NEVER BOUGHT ANY in game cosmetic item from [Legendary/Christmas xxxx/Pax xxxx/Valentine xxxx, etc]+Skin during our entire play through.

So opposing Mid/Jungle have Noir skins, while Top/Bottom have Legendary skins. big whoop!!!

Those items neither affected the gameplay nor cheapened the experience. Now given it's been over 6 years since I stopped playing League, RIOT may have very well taken things up a notch and put twists here and there, being owned by TENCENT. Nevertheless, when I played, that was an example of F2P done right.
Syloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #56
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game
 
Evil Avatar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 34,446
Blog Entries: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I don't think I've encountered a single F2P game that wasn't shit in some profound way. They just don't put in the effort into it they would for a paid game! They treat it more like fish bait. "Let's throw this crap out there and see if anyone bites!" Since they have no guarantee of immediate ROI from sales, then don't invest the cash up front to make it amazing either!

I mean even the example everyone always comes up with, Path of Exile, wasn't that great, but I will admit it comes closest. But sorry, I'd still rather play Diablo 3 or the Interplay/Obsidian RPGs.
Heroes of the Storm. Totally free and one of the best games I have ever played. I doubt I have ever played a game as many hours as I did HotS. Perhaps Ultima Online, but that is about it.

It kills me that Blizzard is giving up on it instead of fixing the Ranked mode.
__________________
I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #57
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Heroes of the Storm. Totally free and one of the best games I have ever played. I doubt I have ever played a game as many hours as I did HotS. Perhaps Ultima Online, but that is about it.

It kills me that Blizzard is giving up on it instead of fixing the Ranked mode.
Spent 5 years playing UO. Still my favorite IMO of all time.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:50 AM   #58
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I will never support developers earning more at the expense of the customers they serve (Earning more not at customer expense? Go crazy). They exist to serve us, not the other way around.
Your ability to juggle conversations with 2 willfully obtuse individuals simultaneously is staggering.

I've never played a titan fall game. I have zero expectations about the developer. I have been an avid gamer for 30 years who gets around to most titles worth playing, despite that obvious hole in missing out on the titan fall games.

Without any expectation, APEX is fun to play. Is it a masterpiece on proportion with my favorite games of all time? No, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes my budget tells me I have $0 for games and I feel like a certain kind of gameplay. If there's a good game of that variety - that's perfect when it's free. Good game + free = worthy time investment sometimes. Doesn't have to be a Mona lisa. most games arent. Free or not. I'm not eating a shit salad because "bro, it's free!" . I'm playing a good game, enjoying it, and on a tight budget. Win for me. I'll still play all the other good games too, when I can afford them.

Booda, I feel like you're saying the game is shit because it's not masterpiece titanfall. Free or $60, most games arent. That doesn't mean they aren't worth playing. Even if it came from the same developer. Metroid is maybe my favorite series of all time. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is no Metroid Prime. DK was still a good game, still worth playing though. Too bad Metroid games never really sell that well, because most of them are brilliant.

Regarding EPIC, since that conversation won't die - I think the platform sucks right now from a features perspective, so I don't want to spend time in it. I have zero desire to build a library on a platform that is absent of so many features that are important to me, that a direct competitor already has (where all of my friends play as well). The onus is on EPIC to create a platform that competes with the market. I'm not going to use an inferior product for the arbitrary sake of competition. It's not competition if the product isn't competing. Arguing that Steam didn't have features like cloud saves in the past is the dumbest, most arbitrary argument ever.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 02-08-2019 at 04:08 AM..
PatrickRes9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:41 AM   #59
Chief Smash
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 4,068
Just to play devil's advocate again Patrick, what if Retro made Metroid Prime 4 a free to play battle royal? And it was good. Not great but good. How would you feel?
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:10 AM   #60
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I've never played a titan fall game. I have zero expectations about the developer.
I'm sorry, can you say that again Patrick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I've never played a titan fall game. I have zero expectations about the developer.
That's what I thought you said. Sit down. You have nothing to add here.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apex legends

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.