Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Star Trek Picard First...
Last post by Azzy
Today 11:54 AM
15 Replies, 653 Views
Metal Jesus in JAPAN -...
Last post by PacerDawn
Today 09:25 AM
19 Replies, 910 Views
Pure Evil - Brightburn!
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:59 AM
0 Replies, 93 Views
VB Code / Image Help
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 08:29 AM
5 Replies, 202 Views
Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by Terran
Today 06:29 AM
18,435 Replies, 3,327,697 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:13 PM
4,275 Replies, 767,531 Views
Terminator Dark Fate...
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:09 PM
34 Replies, 1,367 Views
Sonic Delayed due to...
Last post by ministryofwrath
Yesterday 05:31 PM
3 Replies, 343 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 06:16 AM   #61
brandonjclark
Evil Dead
 
brandonjclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
"With Apex Legends releasing for free on Xbox One, PS4 and PC, it will come as no surprise that the game includes micro-transactions, allowing players to purchase new weapon skins, banners and voice quips."

This entire model of gaming is dumb. I have no interest in playing these types of games. It just cheapens the whole experience and makes gaming feel like a throwaway hobby. Am I just too old-fashioned? Granted, I've had this reaction since Ultima Online was first announced (i.e "don't put this shit in my games")
And I don't think "wow, free, let me check it out", I think "wow, free, another throwaway piece of shit experience not worth of my time".
I want to pay my money up front, get an awesome complete experience, and not have to deal with other people (unless its a separate multiplayer mode) or with monetization. I just HATE where gaming is going with this crap. *Rant Off*
I think we're very much the same, we just go about it different ways.

For example, I have put a total of over ~1500 hours into Rocket League, but to this day I've NEVER ONCE paid for anything in game. I gave them $20 bucks long ago and that's it. It's the greatest value in my gaming experience history, for sure.

However, if I could give them another $40-50 dollars to get rid of ALL of the microtransactions and have all the cars (ALL OF THEM), I would.

But I'm not going to spin their fucking roulette wheel a thousand times to try and achieve them.

DON'T BRING GAMBLING INTO MY GAMES!
__________________
~B$
Gamertag: legisilverback | Steam Nickname: brandonjclark
...playing Rebel Galaxy
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #62
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Your ability to juggle conversations with 2 willfully obtuse individuals simultaneously is staggering.

I've never played a titan fall game. I have zero expectations about the developer. I have been an avid gamer for 30 years who gets around to most titles worth playing, despite that obvious hole in missing out on the titan fall games.

Without any expectation, APEX is fun to play. Is it a masterpiece on proportion with my favorite games of all time? No, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes my budget tells me I have $0 for games and I feel like a certain kind of gameplay. If there's a good game of that variety - that's perfect when it's free. Good game + free = worthy time investment sometimes. Doesn't have to be a Mona lisa. most games arent. Free or not. I'm not eating a shit salad because "bro, it's free!" . I'm playing a good game, enjoying it, and on a tight budget. Win for me. I'll still play all the other good games too, when I can afford them.

Booda, I feel like you're saying the game is shit because it's not masterpiece titanfall. Free or $60, most games arent. That doesn't mean they aren't worth playing. Even if it came from the same developer. Metroid is maybe my favorite series of all time. Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is no Metroid Prime. DK was still a good game, still worth playing though. Too bad Metroid games never really sell that well, because most of them are brilliant.

Regarding EPIC, since that conversation won't die - I think the platform sucks right now from a features perspective, so I don't want to spend time in it. I have zero desire to build a library on a platform that is absent of so many features that are important to me, that a direct competitor already has (where all of my friends play as well). The onus is on EPIC to create a platform that competes with the market. I'm not going to use an inferior product for the arbitrary sake of competition. It's not competition if the product isn't competing. Arguing that Steam didn't have features like cloud saves in the past is the dumbest, most arbitrary argument ever.
LOL "I've never played a Titanfall game, therefore your expectations don't matter" Speaking of obtuse. Good for you Pat, you don't have expectations, except when you do, you expect the Epic games store to be as feature rich as Steam which has been around for a decade plus right out of the gate. But hey you don't have high expectations of things. Hypocrite gonna hypocrite. Who cares that Valve fleeces developers who make games you enjoy playing, you have no need or desire to see that change, or in the longterm possibly for said developers to be able to continue making games you enjoy. Perhaps Retro should do Metro Prime 4: Mario Kart edition where instead of a full fledged game you can only drive around on go karts featuring all your favorite Nintendo Characters, also it's 60 dollars and features DLC to unlock an actual game later on. Because I'm sure that's a model you could get behind, but only if Nintendo's name is on front of the box.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #63
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Perhaps Retro should do Metro Prime 4: Mario Kart edition where instead of a full fledged game you can only drive around on go karts featuring all your favorite Nintendo Characters, also it's 60 dollars and features DLC to unlock an actual game later on. Because I'm sure that's a model you could get behind, but only if Nintendo's name is on front of the box.
This is probably a shot in the dark but I'm gonna guess that Patrick wouldn't get behind that sort of model at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Metroid might be my favorite Nintendo series of all time. If it's not a total masterpiece, scrap it, and grab your best developers and get it done. Take whatever time is required. I can wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Exactly. If it isn't going to live up to the original Metroid Prime - kill it. Make it a masterpiece. Anything less won't do the franchise justice. I'm glad they were candid about it, and I'm glad they're giving it back to Retro. I'll wait another 2 years. I have enough backlog to last me that long anyway. What I expect when the game finally drops is a game worthy of the title. One of the best games of all time. Prime 1 was. So it'd better stand toe to toe with the original. I think Nintendo understands that it has to. I like this move. It's certainly better than dragging the series through the mud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
As a massive Metroid fan, for me it's better than seeing letdown garbage in 2019.

I'll wait however long I have to. However, that said, if the game is less than a masterpiece, I will be disappointed and it'll actually erode a fair amount of faith in Nintendo. Nintendo has done great with their flagship IPs, but I've noticed they've been phoning in a lot of their "B level" IP lately. Mario Party, Mario Tennis (twice), Star Fox Zero, that stupid Animal Crossing board game spinoff on the Wii-U, Kirby, and on and on. If they phone in Metroid, especially after a delay, I'll be pretty put off by the company. Maybe enough to walk away.

The mainline Animal Crossing, Metroid, and coming Pokemon game need to be great. Nintendo consoles ARE their IP, and I need good reasons to shill for the hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I'd agree. Even the biggest fans have extremely high expectations. Nintendo never gets a free pass on their games. When they make even an average game, fans are let down and pan the game as a bad one. If anything, I'd say the expectations are higher. I was just griping about how their mid level IP have been lackluster lately and stating Metroid had better be a masterpiece - being one of my favorite franchises of all time. Honestly, I'd give any other developer in the world a "free pass" more often than Nintendo.

I mean, look at this thread. "Sure Odyssey was good, but it's no Galaxy!" Is a sentiment repeated several times. Nintendo constantly has to compete against the quality of its own past. Did anyone watch the video in this thread? They're scrapping Prime 4 so it can "stand shoulder to shoulder" with the original - one of the highest reviewed (by media and gamers) games of all time. The expectations are massive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Yup, I don't know anyone who is more critical or have higher expectations of Nintendo than Nintendo fans. We give them little room for error and force them to continuously compete with their past again and again with not only expecting masterpieces every time, but somehow having to keep up with the rosy tint of nostalgia at the same time.

If Metroid Prime 4 is anything less than one of the best games of the generation, I will be disappointed - because Super Metroid and Prime 1 are some of my favorites of all time. Hows that for expectations? Masterpiece or bust. Animal Crossing better be a huge leap from the original. If the rumored Retro Star Fox game drops, it better make up for the mediocrity that was Star Fox Zero. Smash bros had to have literally every character ever in it. On and on. The expectations are through the roof.

Now, here comes Yakuza Kiwami on PC in February. I really enjoyed Yakuza 0. If Kiwami isn't half as good, but I enjoy the storyline for the most part - solid. Worth a buy. Expectations are ...meh. Somewhat hopeful. Nintendo on the other hand? They need to blow my mind every time. "Nintendo Bias" from Nintendo fans? It's literally the opposite. What about in the Youtube community? Anyone ever watch a GameXplain video or ProJared video? Those guys are as critical as you can get on Nintendo. And they're Nintendo fans.

So in that way, there is a Nintendo bias. The bias is this: "If it isn't amazing, it sucks and you just eroded confidence".
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #64
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead
 
SpectralThundr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston/Ontario
Posts: 8,605
Don't be so sure, his ability to excuse Nintendo for bad practices and anti consumer behavior simply because they're Nintendo is legion. But really, how dare people that enjoyed Titanfall want a game set in the franchise to live up to the previous ones. Naw that only matters if it's Metroid or Zelda.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #65
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Booda, I feel like you're saying the game is shit because it's not masterpiece titanfall. Free or $60, most games arent. That doesn't mean they aren't worth playing. Even if it came from the same developer.
Uh huh...
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #66
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies
 
PatrickRes9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Uh huh...
I see your point, but I think there's a difference here.

It would be okay to be disappointed. That doesnt mean the game is a "shit salad". Nor does it make it an objectively bad game that others can't enjoy.

But yah, you're right. I havent played Titanfall, so I can't relate. I'm sure APEX is a disappointment for you. If Metroid Prime 4 were a Metroid Kart game, I'd want to take my damn ball and go home. That still doesn't make it a bad game.
__________________
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #67
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Do you even buy full priced games?
Yes .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #68
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
"With Apex Legends releasing for free on Xbox One, PS4 and PC, it will come as no surprise that the game includes micro-transactions, allowing players to purchase new weapon skins, banners and voice quips."

This entire model of gaming is dumb. I have no interest in playing these types of games. It just cheapens the whole experience and makes gaming feel like a throwaway hobby. Am I just too old-fashioned? Granted, I've had this reaction since Ultima Online was first announced (i.e "don't put this shit in my games")
And I don't think "wow, free, let me check it out", I think "wow, free, another throwaway piece of shit experience not worth of my time".
I want to pay my money up front, get an awesome complete experience, and not have to deal with other people (unless its a separate multiplayer mode) or with monetization. I just HATE where gaming is going with this crap. *Rant Off*
Just download it, im with you on everything on F2P. At least so far there is no e-begging, no herding or tricking you into the Store. This is the kind of stuff that will cause me to spend money. It kinda has to be my idea, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Stop living in the past, whiny gaming dinosaurs of days of yore. Get over it, get used to it, you're not the market's focal point or sweet spot or future.
The passage of time has nothing to do with Eleckt needing to put up with farmville style faggorty. This game however, is doing it right. I will very likely spend money on it.


Everyone knows how much a hater of modern games i am. Do not sit this one out. In fact we need to get a EA group guild or whatever going. This game is good.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy

Last edited by blackzc; 02-08-2019 at 07:46 PM..
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:55 PM   #69
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
The passage of time has nothing to do with Eleckt needing to put up with farmville style faggorty.
Seems to be working for you!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:14 PM   #70
Booda
Beam another Blast
 
Booda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Streets of Dis
Posts: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Just download it, im with you on everything on F2P. At least so far there is no e-begging, no herding or tricking you into the Store. This is the kind of stuff that will cause me to spend money. It kinda has to be my idea, you know?



The passage of time has nothing to do with Eleckt needing to put up with farmville style faggorty. This game however, is doing it right. I will very likely spend money on it.


Everyone knows how much a hater of modern games i am. Do not sit this one out. In fact we need to get a EA group guild or whatever going. This game is good.
Hey blackzc... eat shit.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #71
blackzc
Evil Dead
 
blackzc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: I am boot, hear me win!
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Hey blackzc... eat shit.
What the hell did i do?

This video game release is tearing us apart. Guys, get a grip.
__________________
Nintendo: A guiding light in a sea of video game degeneracy
blackzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apex legends

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:57 AM.