31 Replies, 1,428 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Ghostblaze
Yesterday 06:47 PM
1 Replies, 159 Views

Old 12-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #21
Terran
Evil Dead

That's an interesting premise. Might actually reinvigorate the series. Might.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:04 PM   #22
Arionuq
Death Knight

During an earthquake its not usually recommended to go outside. You tend to be more in danger than if you cover and hold in place which is what is recommended. As someone who went through a major earthquake only a year ago, you don't really have as much time as you think and running ANYWHERE when the earth itself is shaking like crazy is a damned sight harder than you might think.
Arionuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:12 AM   #23
Juan
Evil Dead

Looks dreadful
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #24
walstib
Evil Dead

So...this is the "Serious Ghostbusters" ?

Don't like it. Ghostbusters was a comedy/satire first and foremost. This has none of that.

"Ok. the usual stuff isn't working".

"Where do these stairs go?", "They go up!"

"Ray, if someone asks you if you're a god you say YES"

"Is this true?" "Yes it's true your honor, this man has no dick".

The originals knew not to take themselves too seriously. This doesn't appear so.

---

Capture the comedic timing and writing of the original and you have something. That atrocious reboot was not it - it's what comedy has become in a woke generation.

Granted only a trailer, but not a single funny/witty moment to be had.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 AM   #25
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post

Don't like it. Ghostbusters was a comedy/satire first and foremost. This has none of that.

The originals knew not to take themselves too seriously. This doesn't appear so.

---

Capture the comedic timing and writing of the original and you have something. That atrocious reboot was not it - it's what comedy has become in a woke generation.

I agree with this but you have to remember... the current crop of writers & actors don't have the comedy chops to pull that sort of thing off anymore.

What we saw in that trailer is probably about as good as we can hope for in the current climate of films.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #26
Azzy
Cthulian

I agree that part of what made the first one so good was the saturday-morning-esque approachability for the kids with the wacky jokes and goofy effects coupled with the more adult actually scary creature design and end of world hell-on-earth themes.
I'm tired of kids as heroes. It's an easy segue for the franchise and I hope it works. I'll definitely see this in the theater and it looks so, so much better than that POS reboot we had last.
But ungh, kids and seriousness, bleh. Rudd better bring the goofy.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #27
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Ghostbusters 1 was funny but it had a creepy vibe too. The conversation about the ends times between Winston and Ray used to scare me as a kid so I don't blame them for including some creepiness here.

But overall, Ghostbusters 1 was a cultural phenom and it can't be repeated. Ghostbusters 2 was just a bad movie in comparison. Yes, as a kid, I was just happy to see the franchise continue and I went on to watch The Real Ghostbusters, which I remember being a pretty good cartoon at times. The 2016 Ghostbusters looked unwatchable in the trailers so I guess all this movie has to do is be fun, creepy, and not be the 2016 movie. My lofty hope is that it's also better than 2.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #28
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionuq View Post
During an earthquake its not usually recommended to go outside. You tend to be more in danger than if you cover and hold in place which is what is recommended. As someone who went through a major earthquake only a year ago, you don't really have as much time as you think and running ANYWHERE when the earth itself is shaking like crazy is a damned sight harder than you might think.
The Los Angeles quake? If not, went through something similar -- it was about 3-5 seconds before I realized it was an actual god damn earthquake, and the best I could manage was to get under a room divider. There wasn't time to do anything else. I don't remember how long it went on for, but it was over quick -- not enough time to do anything else.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #29
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I thought the chemistry between the Ghostbusters in the remake was really good. It was everything else (plot, effects, tone, complete waste of Hemsworth's comedic abilities) that was awful. But I didn't have a problem with the female Ghostbusters. I thought that part worked.

But this is on another level. It's tone-perfect nostalgia. It doesn't have to be funny. It's a continuation, and this chapter isn't as comedic. I'm fine with that (if that's how it really is). The primary actors aren't established comedians. Why would we expect it to be hilarious?

Looking forward to it.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 AM   #30
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I think the original cast will have pretty small parts, if you watch Feig's disaster of a movie, it really wasn't helped by the cameos at all. Bill Murray was outright terrible doing his "Paul Feig" impression and none of the other cast held up well either.

I'm sure they will be there, but I suspect the parts will be very small.
Based on IMDB credits they have everyone except Rick Moranis and Harold Ramis(obviously). Though Ramis does have writing credit on it.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #31
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreigmstr View Post
Based on IMDB credits they have everyone except Rick Moranis and Harold Ramis(obviously). Though Ramis does have writing credit on it.
A Moranis cameo is necessary. I hope he does it.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 AM   #32
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post

---

Dan Akroyd is a big believer in ghosts and spiritualism stuff like this. He had a long talk about it on Joe Rogen a few weeks ago. And they reference it directly in the new Netflix series "The Movies that Made Us: Ghostbusters" episode.

Edit: He starts talking about his UFO beliefs around the twelve minute mark. He touches on ghosts and stuff as well. The conversation goes on until about the one hour thirty minute mark or so. I believe he comes back to the subject later as well.

Last edited by Kreigmstr; 12-11-2019 at 11:37 AM..
Kreigmstr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostbusters afterlife