Last post by Blog
Today 03:09 PM
3 Replies, 427 Views

Old 01-19-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Age of Empires: Definitive Edition Launches on February 20th

Quote:
When we set out to create the Definitive Edition of the original Age of Empires, our goal was to deliver the best possible version of this classic, from a top notch audio-visual presentation to multiplayer to core game systems. Everything needed to be as good as you remembered it (or better!) to deliver a compelling RTS experience 20 years after its original release.

...and that took us a bit longer than wed originally planned. But, it was important for the team to treat the Age of Empires franchise with the respect it deserves, so we took the time we needed to get features like attack-move and the improved minimap exactly right, and even added things like an in-game tech tree (how did we survive 1997 without that?) that we hope fans will love.

And now Im happy to announce that Age of Empires: Definitive Edition is launching on February 20 worldwide for Windows 10 PCs at $19.99 USD.

For this Definitive Edition, weve made improvements like:

Completely rebuilding assets for a modern 4K presentation

Letting you play online with Xbox LIVE (in addition to LAN play)

Re-recorded the original soundtrack with a new orchestral score

Adding campaign narration for every mission

Enhancing the campaign and scenario editor, which allows anyone to make original custom campaigns for the game, by letting players easily share them with other players around the world via AgeofEmpires.com

The above and more outline the many quality of life gameplay improvements weve added all while retaining the original feel and unique gameplay that made Age of Empires so special for so many.

To celebrate this announce, were also opening up the multiplayer beta to more players worldwide starting January 29 so everyone can get a taste of the game for free before it launches on February 20. You can find more information on the beta and sign up for it at AgeofEmpires.com.

Were excited to get Age of Empires: Definitive Edition into the hands of players this February and we thank you for your patience while we put the finishing touches on it!

Welcome back to history!
news.xbox.com
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Looks a lot better. I wish the Starcraft remaster had gone to this level.

I wonder what the co-op options will be.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
Nerevarine
Death Knight

Don't need a game that is exclusive for the telemetry operating system = Windows 10.
Nerevarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #4
actusoul
Evil Dead

One of the true GREAT games. I am looking forwarding to this.. This is the only game that I saw the sun come up while I was still playing.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Woh-lo-loh!
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
Whimbrel
Subhuman

The game that killed gas powered games. It is like some weird 4th wall looper shit where the rts games battle against each other by going into the future to kill development studios of their competitors. Command and Conquer, Myth, Warcraft, TA. Who's next?
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Terran
Evil Dead

GPG had a history with AoE that killed them? I think they were involved for a brief time with AoE Online (Robot Entertainment did most of AoEO), but to my knowledge the developer that died while working on AoE was Ensemble Studios, and they were killed not by AoE, which is excellent, but by MS, which is not.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
Whimbrel
Subhuman

First, my comment was not meant to be taken too seriously. My memory was that GPG was working on two titles, Cave man and Kings and Castles, or something close to those titles. Then somebody approached them with some bail out funding to put together something for AOE online, so they scuttled their other projects and then something else happened and they went broke. I remember something about a last ditch kickstarter that went horribly and in response Chris Taylor fired everyone rather than have them work for free. Honestly, my memory is foggy, and the details might be off on some or all parts of it. So any actual blame for the death of GPG probably rests more fairly on Taylor than on his involvement with AoE online, but I still like of blame AoE for the death of GPG just out of spite and loyalty to TA.
Whimbrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM   #9
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
GPG had a history with AoE that killed them? I think they were involved for a brief time with AoE Online (Robot Entertainment did most of AoEO), but to my knowledge the developer that died while working on AoE was Ensemble Studios, and they were killed not by AoE, which is excellent, but by MS, which is not.
He's probably talking about Age Of Empires Online. Gas Powered Games worked on it for a couple of years before Microsoft shut it down.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age of empires