Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 02:14 PM
0 Replies, 476 Views

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Technidon
Evil Dead

Guild wars 2

HI All,

I am wondering who is going to jam out with their clams out on GW2? If you are let me know..
Old 08-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #2
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Tempted to.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaATR View Post
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
lockwoodx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I really want to... I just have so much going on!!! It does look awesome and you cant beat the price. Maybe when I pass my CCDA exam at the end of SEP I'll try it out. Hopefully by that time any major issues that arise will be fixed as well.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Anenome
Autarchist

Dipped into a Mesmer Sylvari today--wowwwww.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

heh I'm maining a Human Mesmer, switching between dual swords and staff right now. Really like what they've done with the class, pretty much what I always wanted mesmer to be.

All of the classes are pretty fun though. Glad they made title progression account wide this time around, for when that urge to roll another class hits.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
inscribed
Evil Dead

Lvl 30 human warrior, and its been a blast so far. Dual axes and greathammer all the way. I have around 25% map completion and the quests that pop up are still fresh and new. I really like the advancements with the guild system as well... having to earn fame through both PvE and PvP and then spend fame on researching and building all kinds of upgrades.

My only complaint so far is from a lore standpoint, and that's with the treatment that Temple of Ages got. After how important it was in GW1, to get reduced to a single underwater POI with no story or even a quest discussing its importance seemed not right.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

I'll try warrior next. I'm wary 'cause warris were annoying in WoW :P But, after playing all these others, I think they will have smoothed the rough points.

I'm barely 6% map here :P Would rather take my time with the game, spread it out. Seems a game you can play anytime, in bites, for years really
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Is there an endgame? raiding?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Anenome
Autarchist

There is, but the focus isn't on getting to endgame as fast as possible, you can really just explore and enjoy yourself. The questing system is so smooth compared to wow it's really ridiculous. Automatic quest gaining and finishing, no turn-ins, parties are completely ad hoc for these quests too, people just show up and help and the difficulty auto adjust for number of people there.

Can't count how many times, just in the brief dip I've taken, that people just coalesced around an auto-announced event happening and began wailing on a boss
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
inscribed
Evil Dead

I can't speak to end game yet myself, but for PvE, there are dungeons, world events/bosses, hitting 100% exploration, unlocking all the various dyes/customizing your character, building guild rep, and earning 100% achievements.

PvP is also a big focus for end game play, and is very very good. Imagine an area that would take 10 minutes to cross from one side to the other, with hundreds of players fighting. Its not just a mass horde of slaughter either, its dozens of skirmishes spread across the map as players secure supply lines, build fortifications and seige weapons, and group into small raiding parties to invade the other sides key points. There is also smaller, structured PvP built around a tournament system similar to Guild Wars 1 tournament PvP. Eight teams of five players enter a tournament, and the top teams win prizes. Guild Wars 1 had official monthly and yearly tournaments for the top PvP guilds with cash prizes, so I believe something similar will happen with GW2.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post

Can't count how many times, just in the brief dip I've taken, that people just coalesced around an auto-announced event happening and began wailing on a boss
Now THAT sounds Bad Ass!
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Anenome
Autarchist

When you actually do do instances, they have a variety of modes. Story mode is easiest, and is designed just to be a visual tour basically, without much challenge, introducing you to the dungeon and the pulls and getting your toes wet. You get real difficulty, and I assume real gear, by doing the harder stuff, but I still haven't picked a favorite class, so I'm far from doing that

I've always, always loved the AD&D concept of the Bladesinger, and so far the closest I've ever gotten to playing something like that seems to be the Mesmer! I just started one yesterday, but I am optimistic! Mesmers are magical duelists who use battlefield illusions to fight.

Also, the Sylvari? They are completely badass!

Like, these are not elves. They're so far beyond the concept of elves it's amazing. They are technically plants >_> Literally! They have leaves for hair and plantlike husks for skin, and it's one of the most awesome things I have ever seen while building my Sylvari mesmer. And they aren't born, they're grown in pods, awakened from the dream, a sort of racial shared spiritual place from which they receive all knowledge and purpose. Thus, they're born instantly adult and with full knowledge and purpose, and rather than being old and long-lived like the typical elf concept, they're marked by being extremely young.

And the writers are having a field day with this, expertly using plant metaphors and sayings all over the place, with the newly born called saplings, and one encouraging another who looks said, saying like, "Please don't wilt."

And the environment! I started as a Norn, snow and the like everywhere--pretty standard fare, can't do much with it right. But they do, with all sorts of environmental effects always going off. Nothing is static. There's snowflakes in the air, wind blowing trees, snow-falls off cliffs in the distance, bugs and birds, etc.

And in the Sylvari homeland--if you thought WoW's elven homeland was visually beautiful, these guys put the WoW artists completely, completely to shame. Everywhere you turn it's beyond gorgeous and amazing both artistically and conceptually.

I'll have to make an Asura next, see what their homeland is like. Also there's human to mess with. I played Charr a bit, the beast race, and their land is pretty dreary :P But still visually complex.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #13
inscribed
Evil Dead

Also, every character has a different story to play through, so there is a lot of gameplay just in making different characters to explore the story with. Even two characters with the same race and class will play two different stories based on how you answer your biography questions.

The asura area has been my favorite so far. A quest that involves playing robot chess? A quest that involves "demonstrating" different inventions to asuran children? Climbing into a mech suit to clean up a haz spill? Yes please. I love that every quest has multiple ways to complete it, including combat and non-combat options or any combination thereof.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Anenome
Autarchist

Yeah, I built my Sylvari with a nemesis back story--the green knight. He's my arch rival now.

It's amazing how they built the back-story system. Really puts you right into your character. Even how NPCs respond to you is determined by your backstory.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
lockwoodx
Photobomber

It's too bad the game is generic as shit for MMO fare. Ree's writing is really top notch.
Quote:
Lock is untouchable though, he's too cool to be targeted, like ever. He's Detroit's Heisenberg!
Old 08-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
inscribed
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
It's too bad the game is generic as shit for MMO fare. Ree's writing is really top notch.
If you can call Guild Wars 2 generic, then you can call any video game generic.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Don't mind him. Lock is contractually obligated to shit on every game at least once, regardless of quality.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
lockwoodx
Photobomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by inscribed View Post
If you can call Guild Wars 2 generic, then you can call any video game generic.
Why yes, I can.

I never mind "going there", especially when it's for the jugular. While WvW is fun and the game overall provides more than enough value to justify the price of purchase, it's just another MMO and doesn't really innovate.

GW2 will be very successful and thankfully it's not struggling too much atm. That doesn't keep it from feeling generic tho. I'm just a little bummed out they didn't continue on the path of a hybrid/non mmo format, and the loading screens are... ugh, but there's no doubt this was a game built for gamers by gamers. MMO gamers were their target market this time tho, (since they already captured the casual one) and it shows.
Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

So GW2 totally rewrites the concepts of combat, leveling, storytelling, teamwork, rewarding players and PvP in MMO's, and it's not innovative... meanwhile The Secret World provides a near completely traditional MMO experience with revamped storytelling elements and a unique setting, and it's amazing?

That said, TSW world with GW2 combat and PvE mechanics would be pretty cool.

Last edited by Capt_Thad; 08-30-2012 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: emphasis on sarcasm
Capt_Thad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwoodx View Post
it's just another MMO and doesn't really innovate.