Yesterday 06:26 PM
7 Replies, 1,072 Views

Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The Netherlands and Belgium Declare Loot Boxes Gambling and Therefore Illegal

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Hot on the heels of the Netherlands declaring loot boxes are gambling and therefore illegal, Belgium has had its say.

The Belgian Gaming Commission looked at Star Wars Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Overwatch and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and found only Star Wars was not in violation of the country's gambling legislation - and that's only because EA stripped out the game's loot boxes after its launch debacle.

It determined FIFA 18, Overwatch and CS:GO's loot boxes are a game of chance and so are subject to Belgian gambling law. Battlefront 2, at the time the investigation was conducted, did not have loot boxes, so escapes unscathed.

A statement from Minister of Justice Koen Geens said FIFA 18, Overwatch and CS:GO were therefore illegal and demanded their loot boxes removed. If they're not, the publishers "risk a prison sentence of up to five years and a fine of up to 800,000 euros". When minors are involved, those punishments can be doubled, Geens added.

Belgium expressed a particular concern about the impact loot boxes have on young people. "It is often children who come into contact with such systems and we cannot allow that," Geens warned.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
Robberbaron
Knight

It has begun !
Robberbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Good. Give 'em a dose of their own regulatory medicine, good and hard, lol. Enjoy!

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:54 AM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Whoowee! This is gunna be fun to watch.

First China makes them put the odds of getting particular items in the loot box, now a bunch of places are going to start calling it gambling. Fuck you random lootboxes! It couldn't happen to a nicer piece of shit method of "awarding" prizes.

I used to work in a bingo hall that sold pull-tabs and it was sad watching people spend small fortunes on the tabs chasing the one or two payout cards in a big ass box. It's the same thing here except the odds are never in your favor.

In the EA games Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes you can buy a "booster pack" to level up your hero. It takes 330 shards to level a guy up from 0 to 7th level (stars). The first costs 1 - 15 shards, 2 is 1 - 25 shards, 3 is 0 - 30 shards, and so on.

For your $10 booster pack you have a chance to get 5 - 330 shards. I did an experiment where I opened 50 packs (I was bored) and I never got more than 15 shards from any pack. The average was 12 and the typical award was 7. From a possible of 5 - 330.

This is a small sample size sure, but after 500 bucks you'd think I'd easily have a fully leveled character, right? Well, close. Averaging 7 shards I *barely* managed to level that character to the max star level.

Loot boxes and random rewards are the devil's hand in gaming. The worst thing ever and they have to go away. I'm happy to see this happening in the EU and it can't happen fast enough in the US.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #5
Transylmania
Evil Dead

I watched my friend spend over $250 on Specter packs in Mass Effect 3 to get one specific gun and then once he finally got it he played a game with it and didn't even like it. I couldn't believe it. WWE 2k18 decided to lock 75% of the content that was available free in previous games behind a loot box system too. I sold it on Ebay pretty quick after release.
Transylmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 AM   #6
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

The fact that you don't get all the players in Fifa has been really stupid tactic.
NACIONAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #7
Josh93945
Squire

While I agree that it's a stupid way to sell loot, I wonder what the impact will be on CCG's, both digital and physical. Hearthstone, Magic, etc. Sounds like those are gone...
Old 04-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #8
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Hopefully other countries and regions will see loot boxes for what they are and their law makers wont bow down to large corporations or the legal donations/backhanders of lobbyists etc.

I'll give the CEOs of these companies the benefit of the doubt that they were blinded by profits and the knock on effect to their remuneration packages and they genuinely didn't see they were selling gambling to minors and gambling addicts. At best it's gambling at worst it's rigged gambling hence it needs regulated.

If you can't play nice then expect the grown ups to step in and make you and this is the door for more regulation.... well done.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Whoowee! This is gunna be fun to watch.
Christopher Walken is excited!

He looks like he wants to die in that second image, lol...

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I guess it's just the small government advocate in me but I don't see why this is a big enough deal for them to step in.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #11
xplics
Dread Lord

Good for them here is hoping the rest of the world follows these footsteps!

Tags
cs: go, ea games, fifa 18, loot boxes, overwatch