Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
Barbershop Fined For...
Last post by blackzc
Today 06:33 PM
16 Replies, 1,440 Views
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Wizzkidd
Today 04:44 PM
5 Replies, 222 Views
Assassin's Creed Odyssey...
Last post by vallor
Today 03:06 PM
3 Replies, 273 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by vallor
Today 02:57 PM
2,940 Replies, 402,004 Views
Rockstar Begins Selling...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 02:19 PM
44 Replies, 1,388 Views
NieR:Automata Game of...
Last post by Terran
Today 02:05 PM
14 Replies, 880 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 11:52 AM
15 Replies, 568 Views
Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by Emabulator
Today 09:36 AM
8 Replies, 216 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2018, 07:12 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Well, I was in a theater with 250 people who hated it. Not a single person laughed, cheered or clapped. When the movie was over the entire audience shuffled out with this kinda depressed look to them and the comments I overheard were all negative across the board.
This is anecdotal and worth about as much as me pointing out that the theater I was in - featuring a similar number of people - laughed, clapped and cheered. The audience seemed pleased and I was one of the few with a middle-of-the-road impression of the film.

It's a divisive film, for certain. I enjoyed certain aspects of it immensely and disagree with many of the decisions made...but, I think some of them *had* to be made to help avoid a retread of what we've already gotten out of the franchise for the past thirty years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Agreed. The Force Awakens definitely could have been much worse. It had some big holes but they felt like holes that could have been patched with some great reveals in Last Jedi. Unfortunately we didn't get those reveals and they took the strengths of Force Awakens (such as some likable characters) and either watered them down or just threw them out. Throw some very weak writing and dialogue on top of it all and you get what we got.
Well, we got the reveals...but the catch is that people didn't like the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I still can't believe they turned a victorious rebellion from episode six into a tiny group of rag-tag nobodies getting picked off in Mary Poppins' Spaceballs in eight. Ugh. What a pile of shit.
The outcome isn't actually outrageously different from the eventual outcome we got in the old EU, in which the Republic allowed the Imperial remnants to effectively resume partial command; they ruled jointly because everything got ripped to shit by uberangstygrimdark aliens, then Han's son turned to the Dark Side and became a Sith Lord.

The New Republic failed in both versions of the story we've gotten, but people are taking partiality to this version because reasons.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:23 PM   #22
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead
 
MADxMrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Well, I was in a theater with 250 people who hated it. Not a single person laughed, cheered or clapped. When the movie was over the entire audience shuffled out with this kinda depressed look to them and the comments I overheard were all negative across the board.

And if you look at the mountain of comments in any Star Wars twitter post and the hundreds of thousands of negative reviews on RottenTomatoes, I think that the people who liked it are FAR in the minority.

So, I know far more people who hated it than loved it. In fact, I would be hard pressed to find anyone I know in real life who liked the film. I have one friend who didn't think it was totally terrible and that's about as close to "liking it" as anyone I know thinks.

Perhaps you are the person that Star Wars fandom can live without, because we don't need more films like Episode 1 - 3 or Episode 8.
I was in a movie theater on the Thursday it was release at 930PM and it was packed with 200 plus people. Everyone cheered and clapped at the end and people walked about saying how awesome it was. I then went to see it again that Monday. Still a lot of people. This man with his friend walked out saying "Man that was awesome.". And I literally heard his friend say "That was terrible.". So my point? Some people love it, others hate it. Either way it's Star Wars and will make a shit ton of money. I'm happy they are making them and experimenting. I personally loved the film.
__________________
I'm one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.
 
IGXGamingTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Heh, all I need to see


So glad I didn't pay to see this in the theater. Although, you play the Man of Steel soundtrack to this during the "You can save all of them" clip and it looks pretty good ... LOL.
__________________
"Sometimes when you have to fight for what's right, you have to fight dirty." -Deadpool
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:59 AM   #24
Phoenix1985
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,257
This chat is still going on?

I guess I can just repeat what I saw and heard: People enjoyed the movie, some parts of it baffled them but overall it was a great experience. Certainly a lot better than the stinker that was Rogue One.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlitzkrieg View Post
Also, Telltale signed with xbox, with fear that if they released Jurassic Park on the PS3, the dinosaurs would get loose.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:25 AM   #25
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
It's certainly more childish than Rogue One which I think helps with a movies series that's now meant to appeal to everyone.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:34 AM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
It's certainly more childish than Rogue One which I think helps with a movies series that's now meant to appeal to everyone.
Star Wars has always been aimed at everyone. Nothing has changed. It was never primarily for adults, nor was is strictly intended for children.

If you think anything has changed on this front, you haven't been paying attention at all.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:56 AM   #27
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Star Wars has always been aimed at everyone. Nothing has changed. It was never primarily for adults, nor was is strictly intended for children.

If you think anything has changed on this front, you haven't been paying attention at all.
I never claimed it wasn't. Last Jedi is certainly more childish than Rogue One and I would argue that the series is skewing a bit younger and more universal these days but I never claimed it was only for adults in the past.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #28
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I never claimed it wasn't. Last Jedi is certainly more childish than Rogue One and I would argue that the series is skewing a bit younger and more universal these days but I never claimed it was only for adults in the past.
The new movies aren't skewing any younger than the prequels did.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:49 AM   #29
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The new movies aren't skewing any younger than the prequels did.
I think this last movie has writing that skews younger and then you have the Rebels series which my kids watch and it definitely feels like it skews younger than Clone Wars did. It's not just the movies. It's the whole franchise that feels this way to me. Maybe I should have made that more clear.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I think this last movie has writing that skews younger...
Try saying that after re-watching Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones or even Return of the Jedi.

Quote:
and then you have the Rebels series which my kids watch and it definitely feels like it skews younger than Clone Wars did.
Rebels started out a bit more kid-friendly than Clone Wars was known for...but, people seem to forget that Clone Wars opened up with the search for "Stinky" the Hutt, Jabba's son.

Rebels also gave us scenes like this:



Quote:
It's not just the movies. It's the whole franchise that feels this way to me. Maybe I should have made that more clear.
The whole franchise has always been designed to appeal to everyone. Nothing has changed.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #31
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix1985 View Post
Certainly a lot better than the stinker that was Rogue One.
IMO Rogue One ties, if not sits slightly above, Episode 6.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #32
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
I honestly don't see that as bad as seeing some of the depictions of war with some of the heroes dying left and right during Clone Wars. Yes the Clone Wars movie was sort of a joke but the series got pretty gritty pretty early once it hit TV. And Rebels, despite having some dark scenes, is still thematically pretty young most of the time in my opinion. The main cast reminds me of Ash Ketchum and the gang sometimes. Phantom Menace had it's idiotic parts and felt young but I didn't really feel that way about Attack of the Clones. And it all progressed into Revenge of the Sith which was not really kid friendly at all in my view. Individual scenes and movies aside though, it feels like they've moved into this modern but younger style. Episode 8 seemed to almost Twilight-like with Rey and Kylo. Rose wanting to free those lama horse things from the casino felt like an episode of Wonder Pets. Rey's mastery of all things Jedi really does feel like a fan fiction written by a young woman. I mentioned before that I enjoyed episode 7 but 8 really did feel different. You can say that nothing changed but it felt that this one wasn't written to appeal to everyone.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #33
IGXGamingTV
Game. Stream. Beer.
 
IGXGamingTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
IMO Rogue One ties, if not sits slightly above, Episode 6.
That's what I thought. It's what the prequels or even maybe other Star Wars films should be. Show what happens between the films of important parts of the main storyline, like Rogue One, for example. It's a way to keep Star Wars fresh, bring in new characters, and still keep it canon within the original trilogy.
__________________
"Sometimes when you have to fight for what's right, you have to fight dirty." -Deadpool
IGXGamingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #34
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGXGamingTV View Post
That's what I thought. It's what the prequels or even maybe other Star Wars films should be. Show what happens between the films of important parts of the main storyline, like Rogue One, for example. It's a way to keep Star Wars fresh, bring in new characters, and still keep it canon within the original trilogy.
In my opinion, Rogue One is a bad movie with really good parts that make it worth it. It's one of those rare movies that plays out, on screen, like it doesn't know what it's doing and is stalling for time. And that's such a bizarre thing for a film to do because usually it could be edited out. I think they KNEW they should have edited out Forrest Whittaker, but they couldn't because it was Forrest Whittaker. Once they stop stalling for time and actually start the film, it's extremely good. But all the stuff with Erso's personal journey as a character is just bad.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:48 AM   #35
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
In my opinion, Rogue One is a bad movie with really good parts that make it worth it. It's one of those rare movies that plays out, on screen, like it doesn't know what it's doing and is stalling for time. And that's such a bizarre thing for a film to do because usually it could be edited out. I think they KNEW they should have edited out Forrest Whittaker, but they couldn't because it was Forrest Whittaker. Once they stop stalling for time and actually start the film, it's extremely good. But all the stuff with Erso's personal journey as a character is just bad.
I enjoyed the movie enough but I don't disagree with any of this. I think the movie also suffered from having mostly unmemorable characters (maybe there were too many of them?) because the only one whose name still comes to mind is K2SO. However I think the movie ended well, especially with the Vader scene and a strong ending can really change how we see a film.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #36
Terran
Evil Dead
 
Terran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,024
I saw a film that absolutely surprised me in that both my wife and I enjoyed it immensely: Downsizing. Hong Chau absolutely stole the movie (she's hilarious!) and it was immensely fun. It didn't feel like a radical environmentalist's screed, and in fact it made fun of end-of-the-worlders to a degree.

Worth a watch. A fun movie, but definitely deserves its 'R' rating.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #37
Shifter
MMO vs. new baby
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada, eh
Posts: 557
Jumanji was pretty freakin hillarious. My kids were dying.
__________________
I end threads.

Gamertag: Shifteer
PSN Network ID: Shadowforge
Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 AM   #38
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I saw a film that absolutely surprised me in that both my wife and I enjoyed it immensely: Downsizing. Hong Chau absolutely stole the movie (she's hilarious!) and it was immensely fun. It didn't feel like a radical environmentalist's screed, and in fact it made fun of end-of-the-worlders to a degree.

Worth a watch. A fun movie, but definitely deserves its 'R' rating.
A surprising endorsement, for certain. I might have to check it out once it hits digital/disc.

It had a concept just weird enough to almost enticement to check it out, but I'm glad to hear that it's actually pretty funny.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM   #39
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 904
Watched Bright on Netflix. It was a perfectly average movie. If you ever saw End of Watch it's similar to that but with magic and kinda boring. Every critic who bashed the shit out of it was hoping for a simplistic narrative about race relations and they didn't get what they wanted here. There's a well layered background story I wish we saw more of instead of being told about. Will Smith alongside an unrecognizable Joel Edgerton were good together. Action and effects were good. I'm mostly amazed how Will Smith hasn't aged in 25 years.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:14 PM.