The Evil Avatar Dragon...
Last post by Evil Avatar
02-22-2020 05:50 PM
0 Replies, 224 Views

Old 01-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Bad Boys for Life Kills Box Office with $59 Million Weekend

The Martin Luther King holiday is bringing more box office heat than originally expected as Sony's Bad Boys for Life delivered the second largest MLK four-day performance ever as well as the studio's largest R-rated opening ever.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of January 17th to January 19th, 2020.
  1. Bad Boys for Life $62.1/$62.1
  2. 1917 $22.0/$76.6
  3. Dolittle $21.9/$21.9
  4. Jumanji: The Next Level $9.6/$270.5
  5. Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker $8.3/$491.9
  6. Little Women $6.3/$84.8
  7. Just Mercy $5.7/$19.3
  8. Knives Out $4.3/$146.0
  9. Like a Boss $4.0/$17.1
  10. Frozen II $3.9/$465.0
  11. Underwater $3.6/$12.8
  12. Spies in Disguise $2.6/$58.4

We hit an early morning show of Underwater this morning. Fun little movie that was short on plot and heavy on the Cloverfield references!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:36 PM   #2
Booda
Beam another Blast

I just wanna give a shout out to 'Rise of Skywalker' for being the worst reviewed Star Wars film ever.

Congrats JJ & Co.! You guys truly deserve it.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sta...e_of_skywalker
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
MavenACTG
Evil Dead

I love how whack that Bad Boys poster is. Will gets first billing but is on the right, Martin's jawline has gone under extensive reconstructive surgery, and they made them look like the same height. So great.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Bad Boys was a fun time
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
MusicToEat
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
I just wanna give a shout out to 'Rise of Skywalker' for being the worst reviewed Star Wars film ever.

Except it's not. Rotten Tomatoes is a shit site. Metacritc RoS is 54% and Phantom Menace is 51%.
MusicToEat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
Oddmaker
Developer

Bad Boys was fantastic!
Old 01-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #7
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
[

We hit an early morning show of Underwater this morning. Fun little movie that was short on plot and heavy on the Cloverfield references!
Nice! I tried to go see it a second time with a friend, but it didn't work out. Had to work overtime again so me and the wife didn't see anything either.

Maybe we'll see the new horror film "The Turning" next weekend.

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Quote:
Is it worth to go to the theatre?, or is it better to wait for the bargain?
NACIONAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
Is it worth to go to the theatre?, or is it better to wait for the bargain?
It depends on how much you like Cloverfield. Even though it was made by another studio, it's pretty much about the same quality as the direct-to-Netflix Cloverfield film.

It has two of the Cloverfield actors and it re-uses the Cloverfield monster and even the plot is pretty much a Cloverfield reference.

If you love those movies, you probably want to see it in the theater. If you aren't that much of a fan, you could probably wait.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:29 AM   #10
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

Thanks.. Netflix it is
Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 AM   #11
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACIONAL View Post
Thanks.. Netflix it is
Yeah. Bad Boys makes over 60 million. But this is Netflix. Which it won't be because Disney's satanic ass bought Fox.

This is an original film, with similarities to Alien or Predator. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Cloverfield, aside from having a big monster. In that case, Godzilla and Pacific Rim are Cloverfield films. No, this is an underwater thriller with a surprise H.P. Lovecraft addition. Much more meaningful than Cloverfield, which was a simple found footage film, with a couple of vague sequels.

No, this is unique. Not trying to copy anything else. Michael Crichton would have loved it.

Go Against the Flow.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
NACIONAL
Evil Dead

MMM interesting take Inkabodcrane, i will try to see if it is available near me then.

Also, I won't give money to Bad Boys II... I saw the previous 2 in theaters but this doesn't float my boat anymore.

1917 I will see it when it arrives .. it looks awesome.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Yeah. Bad Boys makes over 60 million. But this is Netflix. Which it won't be because Disney's satanic ass bought Fox.

This is an original film, with similarities to Alien or Predator. It has nothing whatsoever to do with Cloverfield, aside from having a big monster. In that case, Godzilla and Pacific Rim are Cloverfield films. No, this is an underwater thriller with a surprise H.P. Lovecraft addition. Much more meaningful than Cloverfield, which was a simple found footage film, with a couple of vague sequels.

No, this is unique. Not trying to copy anything else. Michael Crichton would have loved it.
It has two of the actors from the Cloverfield films, it closely follows the plot of the pre-Cloverfield ARG's and YouTube videos and the main monster looks exactly like a smaller version of Clovie. That's about as Cloverfield as you can get without having Cloverfield in the title.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabodcrane View Post
Nice! I tried to go see it a second time with a friend, but it didn't work out. Had to work overtime again so me and the wife didn't see anything either.

Maybe we'll see the new horror film "The Turning" next weekend.
Not sure about The Turning. The Daughter didn't seem too impressed.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
It has two of the actors from the Cloverfield films, it closely follows the plot of the pre-Cloverfield ARG's and YouTube videos and the main monster looks exactly like a smaller version of Clovie. That's about as Cloverfield as you can get without having Cloverfield in the title.
Well except for the fact that it's really not.
Warning... spoilers at this link:
‘Underwater’ is the Kind of Monster Movie We Should’ve Been Getting from the ‘Cloverfield’ Universe
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:36 PM   #16
Terran
Evil Dead

On the strength of its terrible reviews, I went with a few of my kids to see Doolittle. We had a blast, lol. Spoilers ahead, so turn back now:

* Downey is indecipherable at times with his ever-altering accent. Mumble mumble mumble.
* The humor is utterly predictable, like a cheap McDonald's burger.
* The climactic scene involves Downey literally pulling a bagpipe, among other large items, out of a dragon's asshole. It's hilarious in a 'WTF are they thinking?" way.

We enjoyed it, but we expected a train wreck and just rode it for the fun of it. If you want a quality family film, this isn't it. On the bright side, my kids are now aware of the importance of a high fiber diet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:07 PM   #17
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Quote:
I hear you regarding those similarities, all I'm trying to say is that technically, officially, literally, it is not a "Colverfield" film. It is not in the Clovervield Universe. But, if you're a fan of those films, you could see how this could have fit into that universe. Instead, this is just it's own little thing.

And yea, the Turning doesn't look that amazing or anything, but it'll get us out of the house, and got to use that AMC movie pass or I'm paying for nothing!

Go Against the Flow.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #18
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post

Critics hated it (in general), fans liked it (in general). If you had to pick one, I suspect a large studio wants the latter. They didn't pay $4 billion to have most critics adore their movie while many fans hated it. Otherwise they could let Rian Johnson run the show from now on.

(I thought it was fine. It actually made me like Last Jedi more because that's not the final word on the story anymore, so I can appreciate it for what it is).
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart