Game & Movie Releases...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Today 05:21 AM
4 Replies, 856 Views

Old 08-14-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Sega's 16-Bit Masterpiece Released 29 Years Ago Today

Twenty-nine years ago today my brother and I pooled our money together, and went to Shopko to buy the new 16-Bit machine. We hooked it up to the 19'' black and white TV we had in our bedroom. A short while later, our folks bought a new 19'' color TV for the family room in the basement, and we quickly moved the Genesis to that.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Easily one of my favorite consoles of all time. If anyone remembers the "straight six" controller with six face buttons all in a line, then you know it was a fantastic piece to hold.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
Sinistar
Evil Dead

A classic system with a handful of amazing games that still hold up today. Plus, perfect marketing to help make it stand out. So many great memories with NHL 95, Madden 92 and on, Speedball, Gunstar Heroes and Flashback. And of course, Sonic.
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:51 AM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Ah yeah, such fond memories. I traded in my NES console and my mountain of carts for a shiny new Genesis console and a modded Batman cart for Mega Drive and never looked back. Played it for hours, even had my console modded at one point to play imports once Sega started region locking some games.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #6
solinari6
Evil Dead

Yeah, genesis was great, but Altered Beast was a big pile of dog shit. My first genesis game was Strider, which blew my mind away.
solinari6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
Yeah, genesis was great, but Altered Beast was a big pile of dog shit. My first genesis game was Strider, which blew my mind away.
I agree but why did we all love Altered Beast back then?

My older brother had a Genesis but I'm sure I played it way more than he did. I loved the system. I was mostly a Nintendo guy but at this point I was platform agnostic enough to really love every system from this generation as we had the Genesis, SNES, and TG16 in the house. All of this in addition to the great arcade games of the time made it the golden age of gaming in my view.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
GodFather
Evil Dead

I remember loving shinobi on the Genesis. such great times...when I wasn't PC gaming non stop.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I owned the first Genesis on the block and would get sooo frustrated at Shinobi, loved the Phantasy Star games, Ecco the Dolphin, Herzog Zwei, so many RPGs like Shining in the Darkness series... way more than a "handful" of amazing games on that system I don't even know where to start.

I know which one captured the most of my time though:

I had my genesis years before I had a PC. SC2 on the PC was one of the games which made me take the plunge to PC gaming (along with many other notables).
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
swirlee
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Easily one of my favorite consoles of all time. If anyone remembers the "straight six" controller with six face buttons all in a line, then you know it was a fantastic piece to hold.
I think your memory is failing you. The 6 button Genesis controller was 3 buttons stacked on 3 buttons, not 6 in a row.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #11
Azrael
Evil Dead

My 1st console... I loved that thing. Unfortunately mine was a Japanese Import to Australia meaning later games for the system wouldnt play on my console but some of these games are all time favourites. Phantasy Star 2 & 4 were amazing, Streets of Rage. Great memories
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #12
alienchild
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
To each their own. That controller is why I didn't get a Genesis (Mega Drive here in Europe). I thought it was utter shite to hold. Perhaps it is more comfortable now that I'm an adult.
alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:54 AM   #13
Juan
Evil Dead

Got an import Megadrive for xmas a few months after it's release in Japan (1988 or 89?). One night a few days before xmas while my parents were out, me and my brother found it and somehow managed to get it out of the wrapping paper and play on it for an hour. The upgrade from the master system was literally jaw dropping. Playing Rambo 3 and Forgotten Worlds that night is a defining memory of my childhood.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
My older brother had a Genesis but I'm sure I played it way more than he did. I loved the system. I was mostly a Nintendo guy but at this point I was platform agnostic enough to really love every system from this generation as we had the Genesis, SNES, and TG16 in the house. All of this in addition to the great arcade games of the time made it the golden age of gaming in my view.
Agreed on the golden age of gaming in my mind. Those carefree days were some of the best. Spending hours with friends playing whatever was the newest game that one of us was able to procure. I mowed a lot of lawns to get a Genesis since my parents felt like the NES we had was good enough forever. Kind of started me down the road of buying all available systems since I didn't want to miss out on any great games.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
GinRummy
Evil Dead

Played a lot of Road Rash on it, along with NHL hockey and Madden football. I think mine came with Golden Axe as well as Sonic of course.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I still have one in a closet somewhere.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I remember SO wanting this as a kid since I grew up on Master System instead of NES. I never got it. My consolation prize was an Amiga 500 which ended up being way more powerful and cooler anyway.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
Played a lot of Road Rash on it...
I love Road Rash, and still play it a few times a year!
Old 08-15-2018, 04:30 PM   #19
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I still have one in a closet somewhere.
Me too !
Old 08-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #20
blackzc
Evil Dead

The first time played a Genesis was at a friends house. He had Sonic and a Madden game. I remember it being a bit janky next the SNES and the controls being a wooden.

Now though its almost like the Genesis has aged better the the SNES with its muddy sound and overly heavy/slow controls. And at least via emulation ill fire up the Genesis more than the SNES.

Tags
genesis, mega drive, sega, sega genesis