State of Decay 2 Reviews...
Last post by NightRain
Today 08:44 AM
12 Replies, 1,350 Views

Old 04-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Switch hacked: unpatchable exploit is a security nightmare for Nintendo

The Digital Foundry at Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
Nintendo Switch has been hacked, with two similar exploits released in the last 24 hours following a complete dump of the console's boot ROM. The hacks are hardware-based in nature and cannot be patched by Nintendo. The only way forward for the platform holder in fully securing the console will be to revise the Nvidia Tegra X1 processor itself, patching out the boot ROM bug. In the short term, homebrew code execution is possible and a full, touch-enabled version of Linux with 3D acceleration support is now available.

The exploits have been delivered by veteran console hackers fail0verflow with its ShofEL2 release, and the Fusée Gelée hack from Kate Temik, which is fully documented here. According to the hackers, the nature of the exploit was fully disclosed to Google, Nintendo and Nvidia some time ago. fail0verflow was set to release its exploit on 25th April, but brought it forward once the boot ROM dump leaked.

"Choosing whether to release an exploit or not is a difficult choice," fail0verflow wrote in a blog post accompanying the release of its exploit. "Given our experiences with past consoles, we've been wary of releasing vulnerability details or exploits for fear of them being used primarily for piracy rather than homebrew.

"That said, the Tegra bootrom bug is so obvious that multiple people have independently discovered it by now; at best, a release by other homebrew teams is inevitable, while at worst, a certain piracy modchip team might make the first move. 90 days ago, we begun the responsible disclosure process with Google, as Tegra chips are often used in Android devices. The disclosure deadline has now lapsed. The bug will be made public sooner or later, likely sooner, so we might as well release now along with our Linux boot chain and kernel tree, to make it very clear that we do this for fun and homebrew, and nothing else."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

sweet, buying one today lol.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Let the games begin! How long till the entire world starts getting their phones and shit hacked 'cause Tegra?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I'm interested to see what will come of this. Homebrew apps and games? Cool!

Also, if this allows me to backup my saves that would be great. Additionally, this would be a good way for me to test a game if I'm on the fence about it.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #5
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Updated hardware is probably already underway.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
Skookum
Reaper

Will the Switch support a bluetooth keyboard and mouse? Be awesome to use one for browsing the web and email when not gaming. Small tablet with a good battery, running Linux, I could justify that.
Skookum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Stuff like this sucks. Remember how awesome the Dreamcast and Segway was? Remember how hacking was a chunk of the reason why Sega went bankrupt?

Gamers are like babies who punch themselves in the face and then get mad about it.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

The Wii was easy as hell to hack, and if you were willing to spend $40.00 so was the DS and 3DS. Unless the hack is easy to do without any hardware, people will not bother enmass because they do not want to fuck with hardware, even easy to plug in hardware.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

In other news someone used the piano kit from the Nintendo Labo to play the Legend of Zelda theme:

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 AM   #10
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The Wii was easy as hell to hack, and if you were willing to spend $40.00 so was the DS and 3DS. Unless the hack is easy to do without any hardware, people will not bother enmass because they do not want to fuck with hardware, even easy to plug in hardware.
I could be mistaken, but wasn't the Switch hacked already? I know that there's homebrew and emulators for it, but seeing how I'm still on the Vita, I haven't bothered with buying a Switch myself yet.

However, a hardware exploit that can't be patched via firmware sounds big. Allegedly, HENkaku really hurt digital sales on the Vita... and those weren't great to start with.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:17 AM   #11
NESter the Unlikely
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
Remember how hacking was a chunk of the reason why Sega went bankrupt?
Yeah let's pretend that Sega of Japan's horrible incompetence mismanagement and general arrogance had nothing to do with it. 3DFX is dead due largely in part to Sega fucking them over on the Dreamcast. But as always piracy is the easy go-to strawboogeyman for absolving shitty companies of any responsibility for being shitty.
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:36 AM   #12
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Stuff like this sucks. Remember how awesome the Dreamcast and Segway was? Remember how hacking was a chunk of the reason why Sega went bankrupt?

Gamers are like babies who punch themselves in the face and then get mad about it.
yeah. i remember when the same thing happened to apple when jailbreaking the iphone and ipad became available. shame - i miss apple. great company that went out of business because people hacked their devices

walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:53 AM   #13
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by walstib View Post
yeah. i remember when the same thing happened to apple when jailbreaking the iphone and ipad became available. shame - i miss apple. great company that went out of business because people hacked their devices

Remember the DS with that entire R4 thing that drove Nintendo right under. That system never had a follow up with similar problems.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #14
92miata
Evil Dead

Very Cool Stuff!
92miata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Now that is a great line.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:33 AM   #16
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
This pretty much sums it up.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #17
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I thought Nintendo already had gone under because of the two Switch emulators that are making the rounds. Weird.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:

Piracy didn't kill the Dreamcast, all of Sega's shitty business decisions leading up to the Dreamcast killed it. Sega CD? 32X? Yeah lets blame piracy! Sega was a terribly run company.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #19
LostToys
Evil Dead

Piracy did not help. Saturn, PlayStation, and the PlayStation 2 required some major soldering to get them to playback alternative region discs as well as personal backups. The DreamCast just required a boot disc, and very soon afterwards, no boot disc as people found a way to run the boot disc software with the game software. So as long as you had access to a CD burner, you had access to the entire lineup of DreamCast games.

So as long as it is required that you have to use hardware, even plug-and-play hardware, there will be a barrier to piracy that will prevent the vast majority of people exploiting the Nintendo Switch hardware. Nintendo will be find.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:51 AM   #20
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
Piracy did not help. Saturn, PlayStation, and the PlayStation 2 required some major soldering to get them to playback alternative region discs as well as personal backups. The DreamCast just required a boot disc, and very soon afterwards, no boot disc as people found a way to run the boot disc software with the game software. So as long as you had access to a CD burner, you had access to the entire lineup of DreamCast games.

So as long as it is required that you have to use hardware, even plug-and-play hardware, there will be a barrier to piracy that will prevent the vast majority of people exploiting the Nintendo Switch hardware. Nintendo will be find.
Piracy didn't help at all, but Sega was practically on it's last legs as a hardware manufacturer before the Dreamcast even launched. There was apparently even a contingency of people within the executive team that wanted to transition to simply being a software publisher before the console even launched.

The Dreamcast simply delayed the inevitable.

Tags
nintendo switch