Your favorite 80's...
Last post by Evil Avatar
Yesterday 09:31 AM
14 Replies, 1,734 Views

Old 06-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

YouTube to Mass Shadow Ban & Demonetize Conservative Channels

In what is being called the VoxAdpocalypse YouTube has begun effectively shadow banning and demonetizing independent conservative channels. While this has been happening in tiny bites it is now planning on going ahead full steam in the next few weeks and months.

Not only does their algorithm now give huge HUGE boosts to "authoritative" sources such as mainstream media channels (even if the content isn't news, which arguably includes their "news") effectively relegating these creators to the 5th or 10th page in the search results but they are also demonetizing many content creators videos for something called "other bigotry" as determined by YouTube.

This seems to have been triggered by a guy at Vox who got butt hurt over some Steven Crowder rebuttal videos to some poorly researched and executed progressive fringe videos he posted.

First YouTube said the videos were fine because even though Crowder said things which weren't nice (like calling the guy a lispy queer, a term the Vox guy used to describe himself!) they weren't going to do anything.

I guess that got all the PRIDE people upset, especially considering this is the month where all the gay people will dress down to their leather chaps and feather boas to march in the Castro district so they stormed YouTube's email and YouTube cried "uncle". They demonetized Crowder's whole channel.

Finally, they have now changed their policy so that any one with Nazi, white supremist, or "other bigotries" (read: conservative) leanings will be demonetized. It has already started to trickle down to other right wing channels.

Anyway, rather than flat out bans they'll just starve people out through lack of views or demonetization.

If this isn't content curation I don't know what it. If they want to continue to sway the content people see and don't see it is time to remove the protection they hold by pretending to be a platform service: YouTube is a publisher, not a platform and should no longer be indemnified from the content they host.

Here is Crowder explaining the discussion between him and YouTube.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It's a tough call, because these platforms are not public spaces. If they don't want you around, they could just ban you for no reason. It's a private company and they don't have to answer to anyone on how they run their business.

One can only hope that the more woke they get, they more broke they get. Alienating 50% of your potential audience doesn't seem like a smart idea.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:17 PM   #3
RAV
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar
It's a tough call, because these platforms are not public spaces. If they don't want you around, they could just ban you for no reason. It's a private company and they don't have to answer to anyone on how they run their business.

One can only hope that the more woke they get, they more broke they get. Alienating 50% of your potential audience doesn't seem like a smart idea.
That's the catch, you see. Officially they declare themselves a public forum, in order to evade the legal responsibilities they would have if they were considered a publisher. You can't have it both ways. Conservatives must force this legal issue now to establish clarity. Google&Co are too big now to let them get away with this. They are considered critical infrastructure. We are not talking about some small site run by some random dude.

Can you imagine if a provider of electricity or water were to suddenly declare they don't want to do business with conservatives anymore? Or treat them like second class customers, with throttled access? (the argument being, we don't want bigots to use our electricity to spread bigotry). I think Google is getting quite close there, in the service of essential needs in the 21 century, because this access to information has become critical enough to people.

But besides that, even for small companies, it seems the protection of privacy is a one-sided road in legal terms. You know what happens when a small bakery would decide they don't want to serve cake to a gay wedding. They'd be sued to all hell. Same if a private company would say they don't want to hire black people. Or if Google decided they want to restrict business with Muslim people, so to not spread Islamic bigotry. They'd all be be sued to hell.

There is no excuse to what is happening here right now. It is utmost appalling. It sets an extremly dangerous precedent.

I can tell you from personal experience, that I have been banned over and over again from so many liberal communities, especially liberal arts communities, and the argument is always the same: we are private and can do whatever we like. You hear that again and again, and after a dozen times of being the subject to arbitrary tyranny like that, something begins to click in you.

Liberals like to "turn it around" as they would see it. For them, our society is nothing but tyranny and power games. So their conclusion is to ramp it up 10 times to their advantage. They always ramp it up 10 times worse, when they do it. From the problems of capitalism, to the mass murders in their despotic hellholes around the world.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:49 AM   #4
Jotoco
Evil Dead

This ship has sailed.

Look at Milo or Alex Jones.

They have had their platforms cut from bellow then. Internet providers will not rent space for then, payment processors will not process for then. Next step is food, water and electricity.

And I dare say it will happen within the next 5 years in the USA.

And another example is GAB, they had to build infrastructure and payment because nobody else would work with then.

Free Speech is dead and buried. 1st Amendment and constitution are just pieces of paper now. Ask any low court judge if they give a damn about what is written there.
Jotoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
RAV
Reaper

To add to the doom&gloom, I get the impression that Google isn't actually afraid anymore to be branded a publisher. I even think they are already getting prepared for it.

In the past they tried to hide behind the notion of public platform, for the technical impossibility of curating on all the billions of videos.
But now we are entering the age of artificial intelligence, and Google is front-runner on that.

I wouldn't be surprised if they figured they can potentially manage the responsibilities of being branded a publisher, and that they even want that. Right now they are increasing their business with actual publishing of videos and games next. I think they are getting ready of just dropping the charade and becoming a full on publisher with all the rights and responsibilities. They want it. They want more control over content. They are willing to pay the price for that. Additionally, they still have a lot of influence in politics with lobbying. Even if they are beholden to the legal responsibilities of being a publisher, who is to say what exactly this will mean anymore. At any case, in the future, they will be able to excuse their censoring by stating that they are under legal obligations to it. They can shift the blame away from their own turf. At the same time, they are the ones with influence how these legal obligations look exactly. Nice game.

Is all just speculation, they probably will still try their best to keep the current charade up for as long as possible, but seeing how more and more daring they are becoming in their overreaches, it kinda tells me they are getting ready for the homerun.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

And this my friends is what happens when you allow cultural marxism to take hold. Let the millions of Christian Russians who died at the hands of bolsheviks to be an example of what not to do as a country. Theres a reason (((they've))) been kicked out of more countries over the course of history than any other people.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote