Today 10:44 AM
18,806 Replies, 3,852,548 Views

Old 11-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Prey Developer Human Head Shuts Down, Bethesda Hires Team to Open New Studio

Quote:
Bethesda Opens New Development Studio

Bethesda Softworks has opened a new development studio, Roundhouse Studios, in Madison, Wis. Roundhouse Studios is staffed by the team from the recently closed Human Head Studios. Therefore, the studio will immediately begin work on unannounced projects at Bethesda.

“Sadly, we had to wind down the business of Human Head Studios and close its doors. This was particularly devastating due to the passion and creativity of the team we’d assembled,” said Chris Rhinehart, Creative Director, Roundhouse Studios. “We reached out to our friends at Bethesda for help, and they saw that same creativity and passion in our team. With the formation of Roundhouse Studios, Bethesda offered every employee of Human Head a position at the new company. We are excited our team will remain together, pursuing the work we love, as part of a company we already know and admire”

The developers at Roundhouse Studios represents more than two decades working together on a variety of games and genres, including RPGs, shooters, action-adventure games, and more. The originals developers of Prey, the team is well known for developing titles like Dead Man's Hands, Rune and Rune II and Lost Within, and contributing to blockbusters releases like Batman: Arkham Origins and Bioshock Infinite.

“While sorry to hear of their challenges as Human Head Studios, we were excited by the opportunity to bring under the Bethesda umbrella this talented, established development team,” said Todd Vaughn, Senior Vice President of Development at Bethesda. “We are delighted that the entire staff will remain together and is now part of the Bethesda family.”

Roundhouse Studios is the second development team to join Bethesda in the last month, following, the recent acquisition of Alpha Dog Games, a mobile-games studio based in Nova Scotia, Canada.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Huh. Thats a shame, really. Bethesda won't do them any favors.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #3
BadIronTree
Evil Dead

Yesterday they release a patch for the VR multiplayer that was for Early 2019 :P
Old 11-14-2019, 01:54 AM   #4
thatlukeguy
Evil Dead

I heard the last game they released literally days before going under, is a major flop. Combine that with Bethesda lately becoming a clone of EA, and I don't have very high hopes for whatever this new team creates.
thatlukeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 AM   #5
wunshot
Subscriber

I just saw that Rune 2 came out on the torrent sites yesterday but google still has a 2020 release date. Wonder if they just said fuck it and dropped the game once they got bought.
wunshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I'm confused.... was this the Native American ghosts Prey from last gen, or the angry black outer space blob Prey from this gen?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
alienchild
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
I'm confused.... was this the Native American ghosts Prey from last gen, or the angry black outer space blob Prey from this gen?
They developed the first one. Then started on Prey 2 (more open-world'ish, or selective mission based rather). Second one got scrapped by none other than Bethesda. Human Head struggled badly because of it from what I heard. Bethesda got Arkane to develop a totally different Prey game which is the latter one you reffered to. Now that Human Head is dead they are suddenly pals with Bethesda again. Guess they swallowed their pride in favor for having jobs. I would probably do the same though...
alienchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Lucky Bethesda, they didn't have to pay any money to acquire them. And lucky developers to not be out of work, especially this time of the year. Kudos to both sides for making this happen.

Though it does seem confusing. Isn't this the company and leadership that basically got into a nasty legal kerfuffle with Bethesda a few years ago?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienchild View Post
They developed the first one. Then started on Prey 2 (more open-world'ish, or selective mission based rather). Second one got scrapped by none other than Bethesda. Human Head struggled badly because of it from what I heard. Bethesda got Arkane to develop a totally different Prey game which is the latter one you reffered to. Now that Human Head is dead they are suddenly pals with Bethesda again. Guess they swallowed their pride in favor for having jobs. I would probably do the same though...
Ahh, yes, thanks for refreshing my memory.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #10
Cranium
Reaper

These guys have been pushing the envelope on 3D gaming since before Doom. 1992's Black Crypt was an absolute masterpiece at the time, made at Raven Software, which HH later sprang out of after having had several hands on Heretic/Hexen. They've always pushed whatever latest platform they worked with into new & interesting territories. Hope they've still got some cool stuff up their sleeves. :]
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
saulob
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunshot View Post
I just saw that Rune 2 came out on the torrent sites yesterday but google still has a 2020 release date. Wonder if they just said fuck it and dropped the game once they got bought.
It's out on the Epic Games Store

Tags
bethesda, human head, roundhouse studios