Today 03:11 PM
7 Replies, 873 Views

Old 11-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Super Mario Odyssey Becomes Fastest-Selling Mario Game Ever In US, Europe

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Super Mario Odyssey has been widely acclaimed, but it's also been a commercial success in its first week. Nintendo announced today that Odyssey has become the fastest-selling Super Mario game ever in both the US and Europe, topping 2 million sales in its first three days worldwide.

In the US, Odyssey sold 1.1 million units in in its first five days on the market. According to Nintendo of America, that beats the previous fastest-selling Mario game, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which was released in November 2009 during the height of Wii craze. This also makes it the fastest-selling game on Switch to date, the company said.

Specific sales figures were not shared for Europe. However, Nintendo of Europe claimed the same thing: Odyssey is both the fastest-selling Mario game (topping Super Mario Galaxy 2's launch weekend) and Switch game ever in the region.

Nintendo also revealed that 2.6 million Switch units have been sold in the US as of the end of October. Worldwide, the system is on pace to sell 14 million units between April 2017 and March 2018--a figure that would top lifetime sales of Wii U.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

Have the game but have not started playing it. My projector died and I need to determine if I will try to get it fixed (it is 6 years old JVC DLA-RS50 and technology has dramatically gotten better) or replaced (I want an OLED, but am afraid of a new generation being announced at CES and the 7 series from LG suffer from some processing issues) and I refuse to play AAA games in hand-held. This game deserves full 1080p/60Hz.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
blackzc
Evil Dead

I might wait a bit before getting an OLED, they are still pretty new. I bet next x-mas is when they go mainstream. But boy do they look good. Plasma good.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Nintendo: Now You're Playing With Power

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Old 11-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
TheHulk
Evil Dead

Who knows how many they could have sold if they had consoles on the shelf.... Bazinga! I kid, I kid. Can’t wait to play it myself.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHulk View Post
Who knows how many they could have sold if they had consoles on the shelf.... Bazinga! I kid, I kid. Canít wait to play it myself.
What? Every Best Buy and Target I've been to in the last several months always has at least 10 Switches on the shelves. Sure, there was a shortage during the first few months following the console release, but that's typical of all consoles.

Anyways, I've enjoyed the hell out of Odyssey.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:32 PM   #8
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

I finally decided to get a switch, disappointed. Got it for Odyssey, also disappointed. I know I'm in the minority, but that hat gimmick is just lame.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I finally decided to get a switch, disappointed. Got it for Odyssey, also disappointed. I know I'm in the minority, but that hat gimmick is just lame.
Zelda is amazing though and Mario vs. Rabbids might be more your cup of tea actually.

Also mama mia at those sales figures!!

As for stock of the Switch, it was HARD TO FIND right up until mid-September. After that every store had a tons of them. So "months" is exaggerating a bit.

My kid picked up on Odyssey right away, he's 6 and I've never seen him play a Mario game this well. Though he still has trouble with the mini-bosses. The hat gimmick, eh I dunno. I'm just happy there's an open world-ish Mario game again that isn't all tough as nails platforming. It's more in the Sunshine/Galaxy vein which frankly is the best.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:29 AM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I beat the main game, really just started going back and looking for moons, i did have fun with it. Glad i bought it. But so far its not as good as Sunshine or 3D world on the WiiU. Still need to play it more.

Good solid game though. I wonder if alot of the hype is because so many missed out on 3D World. That is a good game.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:41 AM   #11
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I want an OLED, but am afraid of a new generation being announced at CES and the 7 series from LG suffer from some processing issues
Next generation LG TVs won't be available until late Q1 early Q2 next year, it's how they do it every year. When they do become available they will be significantly more expensive then the prior years model as well. I'm not sure which processing issues you have read about, I will tell you that LG is pretty good about firmware updates that keep fixing issues- I have an E6 and still get regular updates- they even added HLG HDR support- something that didn't exist when I bought the TV and was never promised. I bought the E6 model as I wanted flat with 3D support(OLED 3D looks *way* better then LCD) which sadly none of the 7 series has.

Quote:
Plasma good.
That is selling them *WAY* short. Maybe for normal 1080p BluRay content they are on equal footing with plasmas, but putting in Planet Earth II on 4K BRD is just an entirely different level- no plasma I've ever seen is remotely close(to be fair, that is largely a function of HDR and higher res that plasma never got a chance to show off).

I've got a bit of time in with Mario, I think I have about 70 moons- just made it to New Donk city. I'm having fun with it, the hat mechanic is actually more fun then I thought it would be and I'm certainly enjoying it more then any of the Marios I've played in probably the last decade. Not even close to Zelda good IMO, but well worth a play through.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #12
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSkywlkr View Post
Next generation LG TVs won't be available until late Q1 early Q2 next year, it's how they do it every year. When they do become available they will be significantly more expensive then the prior years model as well.
I am looking to spend 3 to 4K on the new television, so a newer 65" "C8" would fall into this price range, even if the C7 (this year's model) drops in price. So I am not concerned about the additional price associated to a new model, as I am not looking at the falling price of older models.

Quote:
I'm not sure which processing issues you have read about, I will tell you that LG is pretty good about firmware updates that keep fixing issues...
I work for a high-end electronics manufacturer and we use LG OLEDs in our office, and they do definitely have some issues that are panel related and will never be fixed through firmware. This includes uniformity issues with specific IRE ranges, increased processing lag with Dolby Vision (this is pretty true across the board), Gaming Mode is still laggier than I prefer, motion judder and image retention which have been improved by other manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic, and so forth.

They are great displays, but I want a littler higher quality when spending 3 grand on a television.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:01 AM   #14
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

LG C7's have some of the lowest lag when in gaming mode that you can get, FWIW.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Yeah, I primarily use the LG OLED65W7P at work and sometimes bring in my PS4 Pro and game on it. They have released many firmware to address Gaming Mode input lag, but I still prefer it to be a little lower as part of a panel refresh where frame insertion helps reduce motion judder in conjunction with faster response times (lowered judder requires frame interpolation which increases processing lag on the current LGs).

I also watch a ton of movies, and the frame conversion that LG does (it is a native 600Hz panel, so everything is converted to 600Hz) annoys the shit out of me.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #16
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

Quote:
uniformity issues with specific IRE ranges
Not disagreeing, but, best available...? I haven't seen any panels test better on a uniformity basis- they aren't perfect, but best I've seen.

Quote:
increased processing lag with Dolby Vision
True, but only movies use DV. HDR Gaming mode they are now in the 30ms range, which from what I have seen, is best you can buy.

Quote:
but I still prefer it to be a little lower as part of a panel refresh where frame insertion helps reduce motion judder in conjunction with faster response times (lowered judder requires frame interpolation which increases processing lag on the current LGs).
Why do you do this on an OLED? OLEDs have nigh zero pixel response time- the same as plasmas or CRTs. They have latency from processing- inserting a dead frame just massively increases latency.

Quote:
I also watch a ton of movies, and the frame conversion that LG does (it is a native 600Hz panel, so everything is converted to 600Hz) annoys the shit out of me.
Uhm, hmmm, so much wrong, where to start- They aren't 600Hz displays, the only time we have displays that used that number as marketing propaganda was plasmas with their sub field measurements(the best I ever saw for an actual RR on a plasma was 96Hz). The LG OLEDs are 120Hz input, they take a 24Hz signal and display a 24Hz signal- if you are seeing judder something is set up wrong.

I'd highly advise going into the settings mode and shutting off all the processing you have going on. You are killing that poor display and what it can do
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #17
LostToys
Evil Dead

No the internal processing of the panel is done at 600Hz. Everything is converted and processed at 600Hz, which is why these panels have increased motion judder when fed anything that is not a native 60Hz source. Films are still primarily shot and distributed 24Hz, so even if you output natively at 24Hz from the player, the display is still going to convert to 60Hz anyways. Sony and Panasonic have opted for frame insertion to solve this issue, while LG has opted frame duplication/interpolation (depending on the settings used). I can't stand frame interpolation because of how unnatural it makes the image and how it can add visual artifacts like tearing and smearing, and frame doubling increased motion judder when you have dropped frames (bad for gaming).

Unlike LCDs you do not want to kill all the settings. I've been working with the LG engineers pretty closely the last couple of months to fix some image processing issues, and they have confirmed which settings should always be enabled to ensure that the panel is processing the signal properly. For example, it is usually recommended that Dynamic Contrast be disabled, but doing so will disable the dynamic tone mapping, which is one of the reasons the LG panels look so good. You rely on the source for tone mapping metadata, which is not always accurate (ex. Despicable Me was authored incorrectly at a 10,000 nits peek, despite the master being designed for 1,000 nits. So you will see visual errors, like hot spotting and crushed contrast, if you rely on the disc tone mapping).

Sharpness, a setting you normally disable as it adds edge enhancement, will actually soften the image if you set it to below 10.

Contrast should also always be set to 100 as lowering the setting will actually increase the brightness beyond legal limits. So you end up with clipping in the contrast as the display will not be able to render beyond 256.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #18
LostToys
Evil Dead

And the LG we use in our office was professionally calibrated for the specific work space, by an LG technician. So, ideally, what I am seeing at work is the optimal configuration for their equipment.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #19
Terran
Evil Dead

OMG, they're DOOOOOOOOOOOM3D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

I didn't play the game once, even for a minute yet. I've looked at some videos. I'm personally not disappointed with the game at all!

Tags
nintnedo, super mario odyssey