16 Replies, 810 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by SpectralThundr
Today 03:32 PM
5,079 Replies, 1,121,730 Views

Old 04-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

New Fortnite Content Will Release Every Other Week Without Downloading An Update

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
Fortnite: Battle Royale has proven to be far more popular than developer Epic Games could have anticipated, but it's done an impressive job of rolling out new content to the game. It's now formally outlined how it will do so on a regular schedule moving forward.

Through what it calls "content updates," Epic will add new things and make changes every other week. What's notable is that these updates won't require you to actually download anything--they'll presumably be included as part of the previous patch, with that content then unlocking when Epic is ready to do so. For instance, following the 3.4 update released last week, we're now getting the 3.4 content update this week.

"This new cadence allows us to iron out more complex bugs, while continuing to provide fun content every week," Epic explained on its website. The company may continue to roll out other patches as necessary, as we just saw with the new PS4-specific update, but fans should now have a better sense of when to expect new additions.

The 3.4 content update brings the Vending Machine to Battle Royale, allowing players to exchange materials for items. It also makes some weapon changes and kicks off the next limited-time mode, High Explosives v2.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Epic is putting so much effort into the Battle Royale mode and very little into the PvE, I have to wonder if this will end up as another Paragon when the Battle Royale craze dies off.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Someone should remind Epic they have a PvE mode that is suffocating while they milk the BR mode.

The same thing happened with other games like H1Z1 where BR was just a small mode attached to a survival game which then made it big so they split it off to it's own game while the survival game was deprioritized.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Exactly, and look at what happened to H1Z1, it was this game tons of people were talking about and playing and then they switched to the Battle Royale mode and it just died off and disappeared. I understand a few people still play it, but nothing like the attention it was getting when it was a single player game.

While you can’t ignore the success of Fortnite Battle Royale mode, you have to remember that PUBG was already dying when Fortnite stole the BR from PUBG, so the same thing is going to happen to Fortnite BR in another year... it will die off and get replaced by the next “craze” and if Epic continues to ignore the single player portion of the game, they will have nothing to fall back on.

They should be looking at adding other more traditional multiplayer modes, like Capture the Flag or Domination while the iron is still hot.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:31 AM   #5
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Exactly, and look at what happened to H1Z1, it was this game tons of people were talking about and playing and then they switched to the Battle Royale mode and it just died off and disappeared. I understand a few people still play it, but nothing like the attention it was getting when it was a single player game.

While you can’t ignore the success of Fortnite Battle Royale mode, you have to remember that PUBG was already dying when Fortnite stole the BR from PUBG, so the same thing is going to happen to Fortnite BR in another year... it will die off and get replaced by the next “craze” and if Epic continues to ignore the single player portion of the game, they will have nothing to fall back on.

They should be looking at adding other more traditional multiplayer modes, like Capture the Flag or Domination while the iron is still hot.
Maybe they don't see much in the way of gaining new audience or even keeping up the current numbers by adding new multiplayer modes. Maybe they agree with you but they're just cashing in while they can.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Maybe they don't see much in the way of gaining new audience or even keeping up the current numbers by adding new multiplayer modes. Maybe they agree with you but they're just cashing in while they can.
Cash is certainly key here, they have made more than enough money now to cover the development costs so I'm sure they do care about the future of the product, I think they are just riding the wave as long as it lasts and will end up developing those other modes later as BR starts to die off. It is just a shame to see a really great single player game -- and the whole reason the game was created -- just get ignored because of some fad game that brings in a lot of cash for skins.

Everyone was all up in arms over loot boxes a month ago, but I don't see anyone complaining about the thousands and thousands and thousands (probably millions) of dollars people are spending on Vbucks to get skins.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Everyone was all up in arms over loot boxes a month ago, but I don't see anyone complaining about the thousands and thousands and thousands (probably millions) of dollars people are spending on Vbucks to get skins.
They don't know how fast that pool can dry up. The customers are fickle, fickle creatures and it doesn't take much for them to abandon the game in droves. Look how fast H1Z1 then PUBG rose and fell.

Even though PUBG is still alive now that the twitch people have moved on to Fortnite the perception is the game is "dead".
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic games, fortnite