It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Chief Smash
Yesterday 08:59 AM
11 Replies, 618 Views

Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #1
Jetherik
Editor in Chief

Weekend Gamer: What are you playing?

With Fall fast approaching (after all, it was in the 50's this morning), it is time for me to make sure that my gaming unit can withstand the cold and put it through some serious gaming. What are you playing this weekend?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Maybe Dungeon Defenders 2. I've also been playing a MOBA-like game called Rise of Legions.

I love when games are free. For some reason on the PC they haven't nailed the monetizetion addiction cycle like they have on Mobile and I feel no need to invest in buying anything from either of these games.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #3
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

More ESO. Man, I have really been enjoying the crap out of this game. MMO trash aside, I have been able to just take my time and do just whatever I want solo for the large majority of the content. I really think they nailed informal grouping correctly so you can tackle tough content together with other without requiring you to group up (except rare occasions) so you don't even need to pay attention to the garbage chat etc. Level scaling too, so you can go anywhere and the mobs are leveled to you. In single player I hate this but in an MMO it really is cool.

In my year so far, I have one 24, one 19 and a 16 lvl group of toons. I get to take it slow, enjoy the atmosphere and read the lore and just have fun. This game is great. Currently trying to find a guild of old assholes like me that just like to take the time and smell the roses / mine the ore / craft good shit and read the books instead of power leveling. I also love that they don't have shit tons of fucking skill slots everywhere, you have to chose from 5 so you don't have this monster 800 skillbar shit taking up your entire screen tracking cooldowns.

It also looks great. /end ESO drooling rant.

CthulhuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #4
Meeks
Evil Dead

Not much free time this weekend, unfortunately. But I've been progressing through Cat Quest with my five-year-old and enjoying watching her reaction to the little accomplishments like clearing a dungeon, acquiring a nice weapon upgrade, completing a quest, etc. The experience is definitely giving me the nostalgia of games from my childhood like Zelda, Ultima, and Final Fantasy. Little does she know this is all just training for her first MMO in a couple more years. Dad will be needing a pocket medic!
Old 10-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #5
Inkabodcrane
Evil Dead

Been playing games, buckshot (maybe even birdshot) style for a couple weeks now. Little of this, little of that. That being said:

Destiny 2 on Steam. I have grown to prefer FPS games with kb/m over the years, and this game is very fun to play. Graphics in 4k HDR are insane, and running missions for a few hours every night is a good time.

Catherine Full Body Edition PS4: the puzzles in this game are super fun and addicting. Then you throw a fun and interesting story mode on top with great animation and this game is really one of a kind. Hope this one gets a lot of success so it keeps going like other Atlus games.

Mortal Kombat 11: Terminator. Beating up and doing fatalities to MK characters with the T-800 is awesome.

playing some Gears 5 and Madden 20 on Xbox as well. Go Hawks!

Go Against the Flow.
Inkabodcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I was playing Gears of War 5 until I found out that the Xbox One X puts out so much heat that it was melting everything that was behind it. I’ve got to move my old 360 out of the way now so it doesn’t get damaged by the X.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

That is an impressive amount of heat! I've taken to setting up all my tv/game room stuff on wire shelves with a decent amount of space between stuff vertically also.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

I am going to White Springs (érr..Greenbrier) tomorrow, driving from Charleston over The New River Gorge Bridge and getting a tour of the Enclave bunker. Cool.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #9
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

34 outside my house this morning, and snow this evening. Fall didn't happen here, it just went from summer to winter this year.

That said, I was up in the Twin Cities today, but when I get home I'll be playing some more RDR2, and some SHMUPs.
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
CthulhuFan
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
34 outside my house this morning, and snow this evening. Fall didn't happen here, it just went from summer to winter this year.

That said, I was up in the Twin Cities today, but when I get home I'll be playing some more RDR2, and some SHMUPs.
Definitely chilly here lately but we didn't have a repeat of previous years where it was late Aug and all Sep heat wave. All in all, this has been a pretty pleasant year for Missouri. Very wet though.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuFan View Post
Definitely chilly here lately but we didn't have a repeat of previous years where it was late Aug and all Sep heat wave. All in all, this has been a pretty pleasant year for Missouri. Very wet though.
Nice to hear you had pretty nice weather this year. Very wet here this year too. I think this winter is going to be brutal again
Old 10-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

More Quake 1 Arcane Dimensions. Forget Dusk or other modern nostalgic 3D shooters. Arcane Dimensions is so good it’s in another league above the original Quake and anything released in the last several years.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
More Quake 1 Arcane Dimensions. Forget Dusk or other modern nostalgic 3D shooters. Arcane Dimensions is so good it’s in another league above the original Quake and anything released in the last several years.
Oh, link? I would like to check that one out. I’ve been meaning to sit down and go back through Quake 1 and the expansion packs.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I picked up the cold that is going around work, so I slept most of the day Saturday. I did get in a few hours of Gears of War 5 on Horde mode. There are some great maps, but for some reason people keep picking that dumb Museum map. It looks fantastic, but it’s kind of small and you get overrun really easy in the later levels. I made it to Level 40 with a group of guys and had to drop out when my food arrived. Doh!

I played a little bit more of the campaign. It’s fun. Nothing special though. It lacks something. I really think they need to do a “reboot” and go back to Marcus and Dom. Just give up and give us the old characters we love in a new adventure. Some wartime BS if they can’t think of anything else.

You know what is weird? With the billion 360 games you can play on the Xbox One X, you can’t play Quake 4. I think I’m going to hook up the old 360 and finish that one up at some point this week.

I got copies of Gears of War Remaster and Halo 5 in the mail from cheap eBay sales. Those games are on Games Pass, but I don’t know if I’ll keep that service long unless they really start to step up what they are giving away for free every month. Dishonored 2 just doesn’t cut it.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:01 AM   #15
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Oh, link? I would like to check that one out. I’ve been meaning to sit down and go back through Quake 1 and the expansion packs.
Review:

Looks cool. Really like the map design.

Download Page
Installation Instructions

The install process of quake mods is a bit messy, but I'll give it a shot.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:10 AM   #16
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

I expected it to be a pain in the ass but was running in a few minutes. Make sure to use the latest version of Quakespasm because the mod is designed with it in mind. I tried a little bit with Dark Places and most levels’ framerate are total shit to almost unplayable.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 AM   #17
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I guess there was some big event in Fortnite and the funny part is that no one I even follow commented on it. Good to see most real gamers are not playing that shit.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:13 AM   #18
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I guess there was some big event in Fortnite and the funny part is that no one I even follow commented on it. Good to see most real gamers are not playing that shit.
I saw something about that, and for a second I thought I might look into it, and post it as news. But then I thought; I don't like Fortnite, so screw it.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #19
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
I saw something about that, and for a second I thought I might look into it, and post it as news. But then I thought; I don't like Fortnite, so screw it.
It wouldn’t be such a bad news article, except that we don’t much follow the Fortnite seasons around here. I found them all to be interesting because of the map changes, events and new characters, but the core gameplay of Fortnite changed so little during each season that it didn’t seem worth doing news stories about the changes.

A new area of the map is in winter! But, it’s the same circle-jerk gameplay as always! Doesn’t make for much of a news item when you think about it.

Kudos to Epic for being brave enough to shut down the game for a few days until Season 11 launches. I feel bad for Fortnite streamers right now. They might have to go play Apex Legends!

I got my old 360 hooked up so I can play some Quake 4 and ordered a 360 disc of DOOM BFG edition it play later. Should at least keep me entertainment till DOOM Eternal comes out in the spring.

Looks like my only purchase this fall is Death Stranding. I don’t have orders in for anything else. The
Old 10-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #20
Booda
Beam another Blast

Father Lectures 'Fortnite'-Addicted Son On Need To Play Better Games

Quote:
WHEELING, WV—Saying that the talk was "long overdue," local father Kyle Smith finally sat down with his Fortnite-addicted son in order to lecture him on his need to play much better video games.

The father gently but firmly reminded his son that his childhood time is precious, and that he shouldn't waste it playing an incredibly boring battle royale game, when he could be playing actually good video games.

"You could be playing Half-Life 2, Ocarina of Time, or Final Fantasy VII right now," the father said sternly. "Now let's go boot up my gaming PC and get you some emulators so you can play the classics. You'll thank me later." He continued to explain to his son Fortnite's many mechanical shortcomings, such as its long stretches of game time where absolutely nothing happens and its emphasis on style over substantive gameplay.

"Come on, son. You have a problem. It's time to let it go," he said before taking the iPad from his kid and ushering him toward his high-end gaming rig.

Smith's son, Samuel, reacted with confusion upon playing Half-Life 2 for the first time. He quickly began building forts out of wooden boxes in the game, rather than advancing through City 17 as the game designers intended. "Where are the other players, dad?" he said, puzzled. "And can I buy a better skin for this guy? What button do I press to dance? Where's Thanos?"

"It will be a long road to recovery," his father told reporters as he subjected his son to a barrage of treatments including Super Mario 64, Breath of the Wild, and Fallout: New Vegas. "But with the love and support of his friends and family, I know Sam can kick his Fortnite habit and replace it with much better games."
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote