Evil Avatar  



Go Back   Evil Avatar > Daily Gaming News > News Items

» Sponsored Links


» Recent Threads
It's Sunday: What NFL...
Last post by Primus
Yesterday 10:34 PM
3 Replies, 187 Views
Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by EmoryM
Yesterday 09:17 PM
13 Replies, 762 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by Terran
Yesterday 08:01 PM
2,796 Replies, 355,097 Views
Marvel's Stan Lee Series...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Yesterday 05:16 PM
52 Replies, 2,441 Views
New Alita Battle Angel...
Last post by gunbust3r
Yesterday 10:41 AM
31 Replies, 2,203 Views
Sins of a Solar Empire:...
Last post by Mozain
Yesterday 10:26 AM
1 Replies, 180 Views
PUBG Coming to PS4...
Last post by SpectralThundr
11-17-2018 10:13 PM
16 Replies, 1,256 Views
Sony is Skipping E3 2019
Last post by Chief Smash
11-17-2018 08:37 PM
20 Replies, 1,025 Views
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Was Guardians really a risk though? What if it failed? Would anyone really have noticed or cared given that nobody outside of the most dedicated comic collectors knew or cared about the property?
It was a risk in that they spent $195-232 million on it and it was the first time Thanos appeared on screen for more than a split-second teaser. If it had failed, I could see Marvel Studios retooling the overall story to eschew away from the space/cosmic stuff entirely. It was also the first film to specifically talk about the Infinity Stones (although they got a brief mention during The Dark World's post-credit scene).

GotG was essentially the movie that helped introduce all of the crazy space shit that ultimately formed what we got in Infinity War and it's sequel. If it had failed, I could see things being quite a bit different.

Plus, it helped solidify the notion that the MCU movies are - to one degree or another - bulletproof. Sure, some are worse than others...but they've yet to have anything that anyone could legitimately call a dud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
And, personally, I wish it was that way. I wish Taika Waititi had done his own film, not a Thor film, particularly not one about Ragnarok. Like excalibur1814 already said, it was so tonally off that I did not enjoy the film at all.

It also has the same issue that I have with Guardians of the Galaxy: When everyone is funny, no one is funny.
I didn't care for Ragnarok, tonally speaking. It's amongst my least favorite of the movies. With that being said, I still found it to be an enjoyable movie...but I didn't care for it.

The first GotG managed to strike an impressive balance of humor and seriousness. Sure many of the characters are funny, but they're all funny for different reasons. GotG2, on the other hand, didn't do quite as good of a job.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
Scherge
Alles wird gut.
 
Scherge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The first GotG managed to strike an impressive balance of humor and seriousness. Sure many of the characters are funny, but they're all funny for different reasons. GotG2, on the other hand, didn't do quite as good of a job.
I would agree with you if it wasn't for Taserface(TM)!
__________________
Buying games and playing games are two different hobbies.
Scherge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I would agree with you if it wasn't for Taserface(TM)!
Taserface is one of the jokes I hated, actually. It was right up there with the sensitive nipples and Pac-Man in terms of on-the-nose crap.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #24
Chief Smash
Evil Dead
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT - USA
Posts: 3,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It was a risk in that they spent $195-232 million on it and it was the first time Thanos appeared on screen for more than a split-second teaser. If it had failed, I could see Marvel Studios retooling the overall story to eschew away from the space/cosmic stuff entirely. It was also the first film to specifically talk about the Infinity Stones (although they got a brief mention during The Dark World's post-credit scene).

GotG was essentially the movie that helped introduce all of the crazy space shit that ultimately formed what we got in Infinity War and it's sequel. If it had failed, I could see things being quite a bit different.

Plus, it helped solidify the notion that the MCU movies are - to one degree or another - bulletproof. Sure, some are worse than others...but they've yet to have anything that anyone could legitimately call a dud.
Agree with all of that but I guess my point was that the property itself was almost disposable before they released GotG. That felt like by far the safest movie for them to "risk."
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:19 PM   #25
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist
 
Chimpbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Third Planet of the Black Hole
Posts: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Agree with all of that but I guess my point was that the property itself was almost disposable before they released GotG. That felt like by far the safest movie for them to "risk."
Sure, the GotG property wasn't really the part at risk.

It was just everything else, to one degree or another.
__________________
EvAv's Senior Godzillaologist
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #26
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead
 
Mad Max RW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 869
Prior to release most people expected Guardians to flop.

At this point the only big risk I expect is when they reintroduce the X-Men in a couple years. Recasting Wolverine is going to take some doing.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead
 
MadMurdock_0311's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Mom's basement
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Saw Sicario 2 over the weekend. The only positive thing I can say is that it was a completely unnecessary film. Also, the ending was really fucking dumb.

It's a shame. The original film was amazing.
After seeing the trailer for this, I knew it was going to be pretty bad. The first movie was really good; one of my favorite films of the last few years. I really didn't think there needed to be a sequel or prequel, it worked as a standalone film.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.