Today 08:14 AM
12 Replies, 918 Views

Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Yakuza 0 Reviews - "almost always succeed in its own weird way" #Yakuza0

Game Informer - 9.25/10

Quote:
Yakuza 0 tries a ridiculous amount of things, and Iíll be damned if it doesnít almost always succeed in its own weird way. The Yakuza series has established a cult following in the West, but it hasnít managed to break through to the mainstream. If thereís any justice in this world, thatís about to change.
Destructoid - 9/10

Quote:
Yakuza 0 is a stone cold masterpiece. Sure, it has some rough edges and there is probably more content then most people will ever care to see, but it runs well, looks great and provides a dramatic, well written and properly paced story that holds up even for people who have no experience with the series. If youíve been looking for a chance to dive into this series, you would be hard pressed to find a better entry point. If youíre already a fan, then youíd be stupid to pass up on this game.

It features all of the best aspects of the series with very little of the negatives, making for a game that Iíll probably still be digging through by the time Kiwami releases over here.
IGN - 8.5/10

Quote:
Yakuza 0 is another sprawling entry in the open-world series, packed with an extraordinary amount of things to do and centred around a genuinely compelling crime story. Since itís a prequel, itís also unburdened by the seriesí increasingly intricate backstory and thus far more approachable for newcomers than the last few Yakuza games. While its melee combat may lag slightly behind modern genre standards, Yakuza 0 still hits far more than it misses and is a big, bold and bruising tour through the Japanese underworld.
GameSpot - 8/10

Quote:
Unless you have a strong aversion to violence, sex, or middling graphics, you owe it to yourself to give Zero a chance. Its story will surprise you, its inhabitants will make you laugh at every turn, and its ambitious scope will redefine how you think about open-world games. It's a fascinating adventure no matter how you approach it, and itís proof positive that a game can be wildly inconsistent yet remain a great experience.
GamesRadar - 4/5

Quote:
But that's been Yakuza from the start: a series which toys with dozens of ideas from all kinds of games, some better than others, and throws them into a blender and wraps them up in a deliciously pulpy, hard-boiled crime drama. On that front, Yakuza 0 delivers, telling a tale full of humor, heart, and dudes ripping their shirts off in one swift motion - and if this your first time diving in, you can't go wrong here.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I have been playing a pre-release copy for a couple of weeks. It's oddly addictive. This is easily my favorite in the series.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #3
gillman
Evil Dead

Middling graphics my ass. That game looks good. Whoever did the GameSpot review is a fucking asshat. I was lucky enough to grab a review copy. That game is fucking gold.

It is 1980's Japan. If you need to bitch about something bitch about that and how weird that is. I kind of think they pulled everything off pretty perfectly.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

Looking forward to this release. Loved all the other game in the series so far.
LostToys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillman View Post
Middling graphics my ass. That game looks good. Whoever did the GameSpot review is a fucking asshat.
It was originally a PS3 title, no? So I can understand why they would say middling graphics because the game, although beautiful in cutscenes, really suffers from being released on last generation hardware when you are just running around and talking to NPCs on the street.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Wow, great scores. I had no idea it would turn out so well
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Middling graphics my ass. That game looks good. Whoever did the GameSpot review is a fucking asshat. I was lucky enough to grab a review copy. That game is fucking gold.

It is 1980's Japan. If you need to bitch about something bitch about that and how weird that is. I kind of think they pulled everything off pretty perfectly.
In my experience, more and more people are getting into writing about video games who have absolutely no idea how video games are made. He's probably comparing it to PT, graphically, which was a game that didn't DO anything. It's very easy to make a game look graphically good when it doesn't do anything.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
In my experience, more and more people are getting into writing about video games who have absolutely no idea how video games are made. He's probably comparing it to PT, graphically, which was a game that didn't DO anything. It's very easy to make a game look graphically good when it doesn't do anything.
It's sorta like how we have a ton of people who enjoy politics around here, but don't understand how the world actually works.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Fubl
Evil Dead

Angry Joe's opinion https://youtu.be/a1cFBtr-ryU
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #10
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It's sorta like how we have a ton of people who enjoy politics around here, but don't understand how the world actually works.

Speaking for yourself Chimpy? You're right those on the left don't understand how the world works, they make it obvious by ignoring not only the history of the world that has been documented, but by also showing they have little to no common sense.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
. He's probably comparing it to PT, graphically, which was a game that didn't DO anything.
What is PT?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
What is PT?
P.T. was the demo for what was supposed to be the next Silent Hill, which was supposed to "star" Norman Reedus and was the collaboration between Kohima and Guillermo del Toro.

The game was canceled when Kojima was booted out of Konami, which ultimately led to Death Stranding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Speaking for yourself Chimpy? You're right those on the left don't understand how the world works, they make it obvious by ignoring not only the history of the world that has been documented, but by also showing they have little to no common sense.
No, I'm not speaking for myself, nor am I specifically calling out any one individual.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #13
blackstrike
Squire

I played 1,2,3 and 5 enjoyed them all. I heard 4 was ok, they are up to 7 now? And its reasonably good? I need to get back into this.
blackstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:39 AM   #14
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
It was originally a PS3 title, no? So I can understand why they would say middling graphics because the game, although beautiful in cutscenes, really suffers from being released on last generation hardware when you are just running around and talking to NPCs on the street.
Nope, "Ryu ga Gotoku Zero" released simultaneously on PS3 and PS4 in Japan, in March 2015 (so, well after the current-gen launch). I do agree with your suspicion that SEGA probably reused a lot of assets from the PS3 version for the PS4. However, the Yakuza games have always looked great since "Yakuza 3", in my opinion, so I'm expecting great things (got my copy today).

And next: "Yakuza 6"!

Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #15
LostToys
Evil Dead

Even if it is a PS3 and PS4 release, just knowing it was on both systems sorta tells you what their target platform is. It is like all those PS4/Vita games. Sure, they look better on the PS4, but they designed the game for a Vita, so there is only so much you can do with the original assets.

Which is why I am looking forward to Yakuza 6 which was designed from the ground up for the PS4. I know it will not rival Western Open World Games in terms of raw graphics fidelity and animation fluidity, but I know the overall whole will be entertaining as fuck.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #16
gillman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
Nope, "Ryu ga Gotoku Zero" released simultaneously on PS3 and PS4 in Japan, in March 2015 (so, well after the current-gen launch). I do agree with your suspicion that SEGA probably reused a lot of assets from the PS3 version for the PS4. However, the Yakuza games have always looked great since "Yakuza 3", in my opinion, so I'm expecting great things (got my copy today).

And next: "Yakuza 6"!
Yakuza 6, in America, in 2018 though. Don't hold your breath. We are more likely to get the full reboot of 1 before that.
gillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #17
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
P.T. was the demo for what was supposed to be the next Silent Hill, which was supposed to "star" Norman Reedus and was the collaboration between Kohima and Guillermo del Toro.

The game was canceled when Kojima was booted out of Konami, which ultimately led to Death Stranding.

No, I'm not speaking for myself, nor am I specifically calling out any one individual.
*Puts knife back in sheath*
Old 01-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #18
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
What is PT?
Chipbot explained it perfectly.

But it was a demo for a game where you walk around in a circle in a never-ending hallway. As you walked around it, different things would change and reveal a semblance of a story. It was pretty much a digital haunted house. It was rendered with the Fox Engine that was used for Metal Gear Solid 5.

But rendering a hallway is about the single easiest thing you can possibly render. You don't have to worry about draw distances. you don't have many objects on screen. All your light sources as contained. You don't really interact with anything in the game, so they can spend their entire budget on textures and lighting. It looks almost photo realistic.

But as soon as you start having to render people, landscapes, organic objects, elemental objects, etc. and have character models INTERACT with them, it gets much more difficult.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
Fubl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Yakuza 6, in America, in 2018 though. Don't hold your breath. We are more likely to get the full reboot of 1 before that.
Full ground up redo of 1 is suppose to come out this summer and 6 next year
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sega, yakuza 0