Today 08:00 AM
4 Replies, 207 Views

Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PUBG Halts Personal Item Trades

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
The ability to trade in-game items between players has been switched off in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for the foreseeable future - to stop the sale of these items using third-party sites.

In a new blog, PUBG Corp. called the decision a "temporary" measure, but there was no mention of how it might solve the problem, or what timeframe this could take.

To clarify, this does not involve the sale of items via the Steam marketplace. This is about the "personal trade" system which PUBG Corp. says was "supposed to allow friends to trade items without any costs attached".

Using third-party sites was "essentially an abuse of the system", the developer concluded. "To prevent this, we're temporarily turning off personal trades while we search for a better solution. Once we figure out a way to prevent abuse, the restriction will be lifted."

It's an interesting stance to take, especially in the wake of the headlines generated last year surrounding third-party sites which enabled gambling, and the recent moves to investigate the practice.

The ability to sell in-game items outside of Steam - where prices can be set at whatever the seller wishes - is one thing. The ability to encourage gambling on these items - and the ability to attract headlines surrounding this practice - is another.

Last year, the Gambling Commission warned parents about gambling websites, calling them "parasites feeding off popular video games".
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

"The ability to trade in-game items between players has been switched off in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for the foreseeable future - to stop the sale of these items using third-party sites."

I just don't agree with this. If folks want to spend their money on in-game items let them, and if other folks have it to sell, let them. Big deal. Some people have more money than time to grind out gear and the like, and others have time but no money. Let it be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
Wolfe
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I just don't agree with this. If folks want to spend their money on in-game items let them, and if other folks have it to sell, let them. Big deal. Some people have more money than time to grind out gear and the like, and others have time but no money. Let it be.

Quite simply, the way I see it... PUBG aren't getting a cut of the money changing hands for items outside of steam. And we can't be having that sort of free enterprise behaviour going on!
Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
BillyWilliamton
Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
"The ability to trade in-game items between players has been switched off in PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for the foreseeable future - to stop the sale of these items using third-party sites."

They cant do this because everyone keeps whining about gambling. Allowing it paints a giant target on their backs when they already have enough shit to deal with.
BillyWilliamton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWilliamton View Post
They cant do this because everyone keeps whining about gambling.
Completely different issues, one of which (gambling) is actually legitimate and the other (in-game item exchanges between players) is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
Quite simply, the way I see it... PUBG aren't getting a cut of the money changing hands for items outside of steam.
My suspicion as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 AM   #6
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Maybe some people on the Exec team are fancying a trip to Belgium later in the year and don't want to get arrested at the airport... unsure if they could be arrested at any EU airport however

Overall AFAIK you can buy loot boxes (Gamble) then cash out buy selling the items you've gambled for by staking real money to other players. Which meets the definition of gambling in many countries as they stand without any modification.

I personally don't see it as whining, you have people deliberately targeting children and people with gambling addictions in addition to no checks or balances. How do you know the gamble is fair?.. you don't even know the odds FFS which could in fact be variable depending on their algorithms designed to manipulate people on an individual level (probably why they wont reveal the odds as there aren't any .. its totally gamed)... it's seriously morally repugnant IMO.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I swear how do people not get it... Fortnite... probably one of the biggest, most popular, games on the planet right now. Even my sons are all on it and they used to not be into shooters(RPGs and fighters usually). Why? It's fun yeah, but they love all the gear you can get. The cool skins and stuff. It's right up their alley. You know what I pay my kids in chores now??? haha Fortnite loot. No shit. They will do the dishes(and other things) and instead of wanting money they will be like "dad just buy me this pack in Fortnite.". The point(other than times have truly changed..) they can buy EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT!!

Games like Destiny 2 and PUBG kill me. Like how can you justify selling people random bullshit? I guess people technically do not have to buy it. Im just saying if I were running a business I would copy what the other more successful folks were doing. When you start selling people random stuff, because you know they have a chance of not getting what they want, it just screams sleazy business practices.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADxMrMike View Post
I swear how do people not get it... Fortnite... probably one of the biggest, most popular, games on the planet right now. Even my sons are all on it and they used to not be into shooters(RPGs and fighters usually). Why? It's fun yeah, but they love all the gear you can get. The cool skins and stuff. It's right up their alley. You know what I pay my kids in chores now??? haha Fortnite loot. No shit. They will do the dishes(and other things) and instead of wanting money they will be like "dad just buy me this pack in Fortnite.". The point(other than times have truly changed..) they can buy EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT!!
Imo Fortnite is not really a game. I mean yeah, it’s got some gameplay to it but that’s just window dressing. What Fortnite really seems to be is a digital distribution service for cosmetic items.

Someone explain this to me… outside of Fortnite being the “hot newness”, how in the hell is the PvP better than something like Titanfall 2? Is Battle Royal really that fun or is buying clothes for your avatar really that addictive?
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pubg, pubg corporation