Last post by Terran
Today 06:26 PM
18,164 Replies, 2,964,078 Views

Old 11-06-2015, 06:35 AM   #41
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I don't believe that these "blind" Nintendo fanboys (that you like to bring up) actually exist. I think the people you're referring to simply like Mario, Link, Pikachu or even Bayonetta enough to not care about the lack of everything else, kinda like some people love "Battlefield" but don't care about "Call of Duty" or vice versa. To be totally honest, I'm a bit ashamed of myself for not owning a Wii U, because I just know that I would enjoy "Pikmin 3", and I'd love to try "Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker". Therefore, I am looking forward to the NX and hope Nintendo does it right. Strong specs, a standard controller and maybe mandatory cross-play with a detachable handheld system with one screen would definitely make me get one right away, as a gift to myself.

That said, you're right about Nintendo's falling out with third-party publishers. Manufacturing N64 cartridges was prohibitively expensive, and those COGs posed a big risk. Then, the GameCube came out using miniDVDs (1.5 GB) instead of standard DVDs, forcing developers to either use multiple discs (RE4), again increasing COGs, or outright scrap big projects. And the Wii... oh well, I think we all see the difference between 1080p and 480p and can imagine the hassle of porting games that then get shat on ("Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop" comes to mind).

To (somewhat) get back on topic: I heard a rumor just the day before yesterday that not even Ubisoft had received any (or maybe just not enough) NX dev kits so far. Take that for what it's worth, a rumor, but if it's true, that doesn't sound encouraging...
What you said exactly describes why I've enjoyed the Wii U so much. I'm not blind to the things they do wrong. I skipped the entire Wii generation because of it. (sold my Wii just 6 months after launch) When they have a console that does something that makes sense, I'll get it, because I love their games. If anything Nintendo makes games that focus on fun/gameplay, and they're almost always really polished and loaded with unlockables and reasons to keep playing. It's funny though. The Wii was a major success and I wasn't a fan. The Wii U is a failure, and I find it to be the far superior console, and not just in hardware power.

The Wii U has some gems on it. Xenoblade will add another, but it was a sales disaster, there's no argueing that. There's also no arguing that it has almost 0 3rd party support at this point.

On Ubisoft. Interesting rumor. Hopefully it's not true. I have heard that the NX is getting a lot of 3rd party traction elsewhere there. The name I've heard a lot for launch is squeenix, including a brand new Final Fantasy. I'm going to try to find the source, but there was apparently a leak on some of the games in development, and the list included around 6-7 3rd party titles and some additional 1st party.

The thing that has me holding out hope for a successful NX console (I really enjoy Nintendo's games) are these rumors:

1. "Industry leading chips"
2. They're creating a master account that carries forward for their digital content. (I buy Mario Bros 2, and it's attached to me on this master account regardless of the console that I can download it from)
3. Merging their handheld and console platforms. (I can play my digital NX titles on the go)
4. They're supposedly being aggressive when it comes to 3rd party.

If the rumors above are true, they could be on to something. We'll see, I suppose.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 11-06-2015 at 07:01 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:52 AM   #42
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Thanks for bringing up the account bullshit. One of the most infuriating things about them. Your purchases are tied to a console! WTF. So super dumb. I shouldn't have to buy Mario 2 for the 900th time. Nice of them to finally catch up to the modern world two generations later.

The thing with third party is Nintendo courts them intially to help drum up initial sales and maybe get a decent amount of launch titles because they usually don't have big guns at launch anymore like they used to. Those third parties that bite, release a game, then basically drop support. It is pointless and cyclical. I get why they do it, but let's not all start believing that they will suddenly have rock solid support all gen.

I do wish Nintendo could get back to the ways of yore, but their dependence on profit per console sold coupled with keeping the overall cost low will be forever to their detriment. I don't even know if next gen Sony/MS can afford to release a console at the prices they did this gen. It just hobbles the system too much trying to keep the prices low like they were last gen. With inflation etc the costs just go up. If you want a console that can even be competitive with PC gaming for the next couple of years they will need to be able to raise the overall console price so they can put in beefier components.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #43
Scherge
Alles wird gut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
On Ubisoft. Interesting rumor. Hopefully it's not true. I have heard that the NX is getting a lot of 3rd party traction elsewhere there. The name I've heard a lot for launch is squeenix, including a brand new Final Fantasy. I'm going to try to find the source, but there was apparently a leak on some of the games in development, and the list included around 6-7 3rd party titles and some additional 1st party.
I think literally every third-party developer and publisher is getting their hopes up about the NX at this point - I suspect that even individuals at Sony and Microsoft are secretly cheering for it, because they know the industry as a whole is healthier with a healthy Nintendo. The developers I've talked to (granted, it wasn't that many) all want to bring their games to it, but none of them know any details about the technical specifications.

Quote:
The thing that has me holding out hope for a successful NX console (I really enjoy Nintendo's games) are these rumors:

1. "Industry leading chips"
2. They're creating a master account that carries forward for their digital content. (I buy Mario Bros 2, and it's attached to me on this master account regardless of the console that I can download it from)
3. Merging their handheld and console platforms. (I can play my digital NX titles on the go)
4. They're supposedly being aggressive when it comes to 3rd party.

If the rumors above are true, they could be on to something. We'll see, I suppose.
I have my doubts about 4, but maybe the current secrecy only means that we won't see the NX release Christmas 2016 - which I'm rooting for, though. Other than that, I completely agree with your list and hope it's all true.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #44
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Thanks for bringing up the account bullshit. One of the most infuriating things about them. Your purchases are tied to a console! WTF. So super dumb.
Yes and if they repeat this again they're going out of business, or at least, turning into Sega.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #45
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

Nintendo is launching their new account system in March. It's been a long time coming, and it sounds like they're going all-out to do it right.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...unts_will_work
Old 11-07-2015, 02:26 AM   #46
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
QFT

Companies Inception: September 23, 1889 (roughly as old as MS and Sony combined)
Year they got into video games: 1974
Year they started making their own video game hardware: 1977

They're not invincible, but they've always done very well up until the Wii U, and as you said, the company is still making profit. I'm pretty sure the NX will do just fine, and they'll continue the hardware game for as long as the set top console industry is around.
Atari wasn't invincible either, but you want to know something? Nearly every existing developer and publisher have ties to Atari's origins somehow. From Activision, to Accolade (defunct) , to Acclaim (defunct), Warner Brothers Interactive, Infogrames, Hasbro, To some you would never associate with Atari like Bally/Williams/Midway, Namco, Data East via their pinball division (defunct) Sega's Pinball division (defunct) Granted some of the ties are extremely indirect like the mentioned pinball divisions simply on location of being on the same site as Chicago Coin (now Stern Pinball) and by ties to Williams Bally Midway who via Midway still existing in some form under the Warner Brothers interactive label and still retain the rights and IP to all Atari Games arcade IP. (Namco for a time also owned the Atari Games IP catalog and Bally's Aladdin's Castle chain)

Oh and Nintendo because originally Atari was going to distribute the Famicom in the US but the 1983 crash nixed this from happening.

The bottom line is unless the rumors are true about the NX having "industry leading" chips and actually competing in power with the other 2 console makers, 3 party publishers are going to simply ignore it as though it doesn't exists. Nintendo can't last forever on first party titles only. That's just reality.
I'd like to see them actually compete and stick around rather than just go the route of Sega personally.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:38 AM   #47
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
They need to hire me over at Nintendo because I know exactly what will make the NX a success.

1) Most powerful hardware.
2) Strong and continued 3rd party support.
3) Introduction of a brand new unified, account-based metascore system like Trophies/Achievements, not those dumb stamps.
4) A true portable account system.
5) A controller based on the Gamecube's with best elements from the DS4.
6) ALL Virtual Console games available DAY ONE and ALL for 99 cents each.
7) BluRay and DVD playback and wide streaming app support DAY ONE.
8) Don't put Wii in the name, and no waggle.
9) Video camera and microphone, plus a headset included in the box.
10) Youtube video sharing day one. And Twitter screen cap sharing.

And there you have it, a recipe for market dominance.
sooo...your recipe for dominance is to make the same console Sony and MS are making but, you know, with more power...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:18 PM   #48
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
sooo...your recipe for dominance is to make the same console Sony and MS are making but, you know, with more power...
So he puts 10 points there and you pick a single 1?
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps4, ubisoft, xbone