Activision says that...
Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 09:15 PM
31 Replies, 2,097 Views

Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

MS Thinks Tomb Raider Can Compete with Fallout 4 #Fallout4

During a PodCast interview, Microsoft Executive Aaron Greenberg comments that he would rather Xbone exclusive Rise of the Tomb Raider launch the same week as Fallout 4, rather than Black Ops 3 or Star Wars Battlefront.

Quote:
The challenge is that you have to look at the production schedule. You want to make sure that you don't rush the game so that it's not done or not of high quality. That is always the number one priority. The challenge with Tomb Raider is if you go a week later you're against Star Wars Battlefront, if you go a week earlier you're against Call of Duty Black Ops III; you go two weeks earlier you're against Halo 5.

And then you go late and then you're like well, 'Does the consumer have money left to buy the game?' So there wasn't a better scenario for us except that was the week it wasn't going head-to-head against Call of Duty or Star Wars Battlefront. We felt like the Fallout audience and game, while both fantastic games, they're not direct competitors per se. But it's two big, big titles launching at the same time and we hope people will buy both.
Going up against Fallout 4? Good luck with that. It is going to get slaughtered.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
AlienDev
Banned

Fallout 4 sales will crush Tomb Raider by several orders of magnatude.
AlienDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:34 PM   #3
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Sounds like he's very acknowledging that it's an uphill battle and that this was the call that made the most sense. He's just saying that the other titles are even bigger opponents to worry about. Yet another troll post from Evil...
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

It's not going to fare well. Not only does it have a reduced audience being an Xbone exclusive but going against one of the most anticipated games of the year.

Makes sense they will add all those micro transactions to make up for the loss.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Demo_Boy
@DemoEvolved on Twitter

He doesnt think Tomb Raider can compete with Fallout.
He's saying it gets rekt the LEAST against Fallout in a release window that has Halo5, COD, and StarWars in the same window.
And you know what? He is correct.
Because at least there are some people that don't like VATS. and they will be able to buy an action game.
Also if you come out after Star Wars, he's right, there's not going to be anyone in the store to buy it.
TBH, I think this launch window really screws over the dev.

Looking forward to the bargain bin Tomb Raider (XBone edition) on Boxing day.

MS could toss the dev a bone and do a packin offer to make up for the shitty sales they are going to suffer.

This game needed to ship 2 weeks ago
Demo_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post

This game needed to ship 2 weeks ago
Boy, it sure did. I forgot this game was coming out this year.

What were they thinking?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Anemone
Evil Dead

Going again Fallout in that scenario is a good choice, there's not a ton of audience-overlap there in that genre as compared to the other choices.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
sai tyrus
Renegade Paragon

It really would be best if they launched in Spring. It'd be a nice title to ht shelves after people went through Fallout 4, the newest COD and Battlefront. Gonna be a rough holiday season. I personally love Crystal Dynamics and want to see them do well. But the release date for the new Tomb Raider is horribly timed.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!" - Bilbo Baggins
sai tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai tyrus View Post
It really would be best if they launched in Spring. It'd be a nice title to ht shelves after people went through Fallout 4, the newest COD and Battlefront. Gonna be a rough holiday season. I personally love Crystal Dynamics and want to see them do well. But the release date for the new Tomb Raider is horribly timed.
Yea, a couple of weeks ago there was nothing on the market at all. We have had some dead weeks. Why wait until all the big games are launching? That kind of thinking is why they are where they are at right now sales wise.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #10
MasterKwan
Evil Dead

I imagine Fallout will be so buggy, you'll need Tomb Raider handy to actually be able to play a game.

I'd buy both instantly if they were both on my platform. I'm stuck with Fallout for now.
MasterKwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:02 PM   #11
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Ostensibly, the audience for a play-along-movie and a life-simulator-rpg have a greater chance to be different than other, similar games like COD.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 PM   #12
Grimorial
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Sounds like he's very acknowledging that it's an uphill battle and that this was the call that made the most sense. He's just saying that the other titles are even bigger opponents to worry about.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demo_Boy View Post
Because at least there are some people that don't like VATS. and they will be able to buy an action game.
You can easily play any Fallout without VATS. You don't need it for a melee character and sure as shit don't need it for a guns build. The hitboxes in that game are so forgiving. The only time I use VATS is in my "oh shit" moments when something gets the drop on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterKwan View Post
I imagine Fallout will be so buggy, you'll need Tomb Raider handy to actually be able to play a game.
Modern Fallout in general is buggy but what makes you think it'll be so buggy that it will be unplayable. Let alone that someone would want to play Tomb Raider in its stead?
Old 10-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #13
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimorial View Post
Agreed.

You can easily play any Fallout without VATS. You don't need it for a melee character and sure as shit don't need it for a guns build. The hitboxes in that game are so forgiving. The only time I use VATS is in my "oh shit" moments when something gets the drop on me.

Modern Fallout in general is buggy but what makes you think it'll be so buggy that it will be unplayable. Let alone that someone would want to play Tomb Raider in its stead?
Engh. People just like to complain. Never mind that the game has an unparalleled open world and permutations that come out looking like utter sorcery... if a character glitches every once in a while, "it's so buggy! It's garbage! I can't even play this! Ugh!"

I never understood what people disliked about VATS. F3 wasn't a first person shooter.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I never understood what people disliked about VATS. F3 wasn't a first person shooter.
I think it's to do with difference in console vs pc. I found the F3 controls on consoles to be rather bad and clunky, which forced you to use VATS, whereas on the pc they were just fine and you really didn't need to touch VATS even once.
SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #15
Grimorial
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
I used it a lot in FO3 but I didn't use it much at all in my playthrough for FO:NV. After doing it so much in FO3, it felt like a time consuming crutch that just broke the immersion into the environment. Broke the tension. To disqualify it as a FPS would be a disservice. IMO its at least a FPS RPG Hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
I think it's to do with difference in console vs pc. I found the F3 controls on consoles to be rather bad and clunky, which forced you to use VATS, whereas on the pc they were just fine and you really didn't need to touch VATS even once.
I really didn't think about it. Was there nothing to be done in the way of settings for this? Was it the same way with New Vegas? I am sure FO4 will be different for consoles this time around.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #16
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredWeasel View Post
I think the only time in F3 that I HAD to use VATS was at the very beginning of the game. It's been a while, but there was a Sheriff guy in Megaton who was crooked or something. If I went to go talk to him, he would kill the person I was with, or something. I really wanted to see if it was possible to kill him before he killed my companion and the only way I could manage to do it was to target him with VATS.

Other than that, I don't think I really used it that much during the course of the game.

In any event, apparently it's even less necessary in this new version.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:55 AM   #17
Azrael
Evil Dead

this just in... "MS WAS WRONG!"
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Yea, a couple of weeks ago there was nothing on the market at all. We have had some dead weeks. Why wait until all the big games are launching? That kind of thinking is why they are where they are at right now sales wise.
It probably wasn't ready for release a few weeks ago, so that particular window is irrelevant. Hell, there's no way they could have targeted that window unless it was their initial goal; it's not like release schedules are often laid out for each company years in advance.

As the article actually said, nobody as Microsoft actually thinks Tomb Raider will effectively go toe-to-toe with Fallout 4. The two games are, however, different enough and attract different people; the beating the game would take going against monstrosities like Call of Duty will be significantly less if paired against Fallout.

They never said it would be more successful than Fallout 4. They did say it will be more successful than it otherwise would have been. As others have said, it may have been better if they held it off until 2016...but, it's a little late for that. Perhaps their exclusivity deal required a 2015 launch?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Going again Fallout in that scenario is a good choice, there's not a ton of audience-overlap there in that genre as compared to the other choices.
Yeah, an action platformer and a A-RPG should be able to coexist and each be successful. Fallout may skew older, as well.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failboat, fallout 4, rise of the tomb raider, xbone