Last post by TheHulk
Yesterday 04:50 PM
15 Replies, 1,148 Views

Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #81
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
Excellent video. We've all heard lessons like these before but this was a great reminder and good motivation to take inventory of the various ruts we find ourselves in.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:47 PM   #82
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardedSonOfNel View Post
That...was really good. Dang it! Got some stuff to start!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #83
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Excellent video. We've all heard lessons like these before but this was a great reminder and good motivation to take inventory of the various ruts we find ourselves in.
I stumbled across this, not knowing what it was. I, like you thought it was a fantastic video. I seem to be in a lot of ruts right now, and then this video popped up, and helped me regain perspective. I like to think my mother (who passed away a year a go this November) pointed me to it.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:24 AM   #84
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Only an Irishman would do this....
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:04 PM   #85
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

When I was watching YouTube late at night and the strangest things get recommended.

I saw a few of the LockpickingLawyer and soft of got addicted. Now I want to order a lockpick set for "hobby purposes only".

Sort of like Davie504, I never cared much for the base but he keeps it entertaining.

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #86
SacredWeasel
Evil Dead

He is surprisingly entertaining, good for a binge.

Possible NSFW language if your boss doesn't have a sense of humour:

SacredWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:51 AM   #87
Rommel
International Playboy

drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:41 PM   #88
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Fixing Rommel's link.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #89
RAV
Evil Dead

They don't have that problem in China, that's for sure...
When you got through Shenzhen there is repair shops everywhere fixing anything.

I know that it's kinda annoying with copying our tech and stuff, but really, not caring about our fucked up copyright/patent system has its upsides, too,
because it's gotten kinda ridiculous here, and it's benefiting more the big corpos, than the little guy setting up shop.
They are selling it as protecting innovation and investment, but it's gotten so silly, it probably stifles it more than anything,
and kinda anti-consumer. This is where the discussion between free market and capitalism gets a bit complicated...

I mean, the Chinese not only copy from the West, they copy even more among themselves. Is a different approach to development, much more like Open Source Software, but for hardware.
Nowadays, you don't just go to China for cheap labour, but for development competence. And it's this weird situation, where many Western companies profit by selling tech as their own
that originated in China's development communities... but the Chinese don't give a fuck either. In the end it's the Maker space that innovates most, not the big corpos, they mostly run around and pick stuff up for themselves.

Anyway, I suppose posting the following video gets me into trouble, considering our current atmosphere,
it touches on a couple things that doesn't quite sit right with how we do things here, but I think it's an interesting watch anyway... so shoot me, but here it goes:

RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:14 PM   #90
RAV
Evil Dead

This video discusses the strategic problems around China's geography that defined some of its policies. It makes some interesting points.

This one is also interesting. It discusses Africa becoming for China, what China was for us.

There is also videos on Russia's and India's geographic problems, which have some relations to China:

Last edited by RAV; 10-26-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 10:34 PM   #91
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
This video discusses the strategic problems around China's geography that defined some of its policies. It makes some interesting points.

When I was working on Operating Systems at Microsoft many years ago there was almost an international incident between MS and China because China felt MS was providing an individual identity to Tibet via the Time Zone setting.

Pre-Mao there were 5 timezones in China, which you might expect with a country so large, however Mao "simplified" it by creating one big timezone, Chinese Standard Time, centered on Beijing which has since set it at GMT+8 regardless of how far east or west you are from Beijing.

In the first iterations of Windows 95, Windows CE, and NT 4.0 they used an atlas style map of the globe with a highlight line showing your selected timezone. Tibet is, to China anyway, part of "Chinese Standard Time" however in the selection Lhasa (the capital of Tibet) it just said "Tibet GMT+6" with no references to China and not recognizing the Chinese Standard time.

This really pissed the CCP off and they threatened to prevent Windows products from shipping there until it was removed.

Here is a quick blog by someone describing the old dialog function and a few other geopolitical reasons the dialog was changed in updates and for future products to show NO highlight. This included a complete ban in India for the same reason since it was fighting with Pakistan in the Kasmir region and it didn't like that Microsoft put Kasmir as part of Pakistan. India not only banned Windows 95 but also threatened to ban all Microsoft products. The solution in that case was to disable to time zone picker for products sold in India.

Here's the image of the time zone picker for people who don't remember of are too you to have used any version of Windows prior to NT 4.0. It used the UN recognized country boundaries to draw the highlight..

After the kerfuffle we ended up with this until Windows 98.

Last edited by vallor; 10-26-2019 at 10:45 PM..
Old 10-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #92
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:03 AM   #93
RAV
Evil Dead

Old 11-09-2019, 08:56 AM   #94
RAV
Evil Dead

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #95
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Eric Andre is hilarious. Why is this stuff on Cartoon Network and not Comedy Central?