22 Replies, 1,726 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Black Desert - 4K Trailer #E32017

Click on the Headline for the Trailer.

Quote:
Xbox One console launch exclusive. Black Desert is a sandbox oriented MMO featuring next-gen graphics, full action combat and an immense seamless world full of adventure and danger. Travel through the lands in search of treasure and adventure or become one of the top craftsmen in the land. Set up trade routes and breed horses or compete against other guilds in epic siege warfare.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:15 AM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

Everyone who has tried it in the FFXIV community claims it is boring, archaic and obtuse. Please understand that FFXIV is so obtuse that you can play for hundreds of hours before learning how to link items in chat. I can thus only assume that being obtuse to an FFXIV player requires the game requiring a gyroscopic mouse from the nineties without ever once telling the player.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:32 AM   #4
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I play FFXIV and didn't find it that complicated. Even leveling a character is on par to FFXIV. I haven't gotten any character to 60 though, my max leveled character is 55 but I did that on a week. It's fun and since there is no monthly fee, there is no guilt when you don't log in.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Everyone who has tried it in the FFXIV community claims it is boring, archaic and obtuse. Please understand that FFXIV is so obtuse that you can play for hundreds of hours before learning how to link items in chat. I can thus only assume that being obtuse to an FFXIV player requires the game requiring a gyroscopic mouse from the nineties without ever once telling the player.
I love Black Desert next to FFXIV. The combat is infinitely better. (tab targeting is archaic and I hate it) The spectrum of things to do, the economy and workers mechanics, the guild driven activity, the ocean exploration, the "sphere of knowledge" mechanic, are all great. What stops Black Desert from being truly outstanding is that it lacks any end game content at all. Did I mention I despise tab targeting? There's nothing clunkier and more annoying than that.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I love Black Desert next to FFXIV. The combat is infinitely better. (tab targeting is archaic and I hate it) The spectrum of things to do, the economy and workers mechanics, the guild driven activity, the ocean exploration, the "sphere of knowledge" mechanic, are all great. What stops Black Desert from being truly outstanding is that it lacks any end game content at all. Did I mention I despise tab targeting? There's nothing clunkier and more annoying than that.
Interesting, I may have to try it. I actually like tab targeting, a shame FFXIV's doesn't work.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Interesting, I may have to try it. I actually like tab targeting, a shame FFXIV's doesn't work.
Some buddies are twisting my arm to play FFXIV with the expansion dropping and I'm dreading it. The tab targeting is garbage. I think it's supposed to tab to whatever is closest to the center of your screen, but it also keeps distance in mind? Either way, it never works. I end out not targeting what I need to, ever. I've never played an MMO on keyboard/mouse that cramped my hands after 30 minutes of combat. I hate the combat, especially if I have to min/max my role. Tab around as fast as you can, follow your min/max skill order as fast as you can, rinse repeat. Actually, after playing Black Desert Online, it further solidified my hatred of FFXIV's combat.

Black Desert is easily worth recommending if you like nerding out to deep mechanics. With something as simple as "gardening" it's a science project. You have to keep in mind Groundwater/Temperature/Humidity, etc. The action combat is smooth and well done. And I really like the "knowledge" thing. As you kill different mobs, talk to different people, and make discoveries, your "knowledge" increases, which you can leverage to get quests out of NPCs you normally wouldn't be able to, get them to sell you different things, or find out more information. You can connect areas across the world through "nodes", and employ workers to gather materials for you and set up trade routes. You can level and breed your horses and your pets. You can make boats, equip them with gear, and explore a massive ocean, discover islands, etc. Basically, every mechanic is deeper than most MMOs, and for me at least, it equates to more fun.

The downside is that it's very PVP/Guild driven. I prefer that, but others might not. Also, there isn't much in the way of end game content. Your end game is basically guild wars, sieges, world bosses, and continuing to perfect your gear. I'd imagine they'll introduce better end game content at some point, but that's just a guess.

Either way, if you don't like cookie-cutter themepark MMOs that break down into "grab quest", "teleport", "kill a few things", "teleport", "turn in quest", "repeat to level cap" which is when the "real" game starts, but prefer an MMO with enjoyable elements and mechanics that give you rewarding things to do aside from rush to cap and grind dungeons, it's a good one, IMO.

A few things to keep in mind if you do try it out. 1. Yes, you can turn off all of those annoying overlays on the UI that are turned on by default. You won't need half of them (At least until later). 2. The starting area is a bit of a fetch/kill quest drag, but once you get to the first town the game opens up a bunch of mechanics, so you'll want to give the game at least a few hours so you can see what it's really about, and don't mistake it for a boring quest-athon.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I've been enjoying it more these past two weeks than my initial run with it when it came out. Part of that is learning the mechanics a bit more, I'd suggest a few videos to kind of prime your expectations before going in. There's one called 9+ New Player Guides 2017 or something, and that helped me to get back into it after all I'd forgotten.

A couple things to keep in mind if you're going to try it. It's not like theme park MMOs where you reach a hub, do all the quests, and then move to the next rinse/repeat. You don't have to do all the quests in an area before moving on, in fact I don't even think it's possible in most cases as quests will unlock later, and there are too many quests to even think about doing. Once you hit level 20 (and leveling in this game is nutso fast, especially on the boosted xp new/returning player channels "Olvia") you can filter quests to do the ones you want.

It's also largely a solo experience in my opinion. The game often actively discourages grouping, so I wouldn't go in expecting too much from that point. I hear there are currently 2 group dungeons in the game (with more coming), but I'm not near that point so I couldn't tell you.

Lastly, if you think you're going to get some cool looking gear like in videos you may have seen, you're not, not unless you're willing to drop some cash. Regular gear only changes your initial look in very minor, often imperceptible ways, and the major looks are done through bosses and the cash shop costumes. You can purchase the cash shop costumes and other cash shop items with in game money through the marketplace, and in fact it's all cheap as hell (25 million is kind of the going rate for a costume and it's nothing in this game, people can make billions in a day), but they sell so fast and from what I know of the system it's a random bid winner, so you just gotta get lucky if you can even put in a bid at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Some buddies are twisting my arm to play FFXIV with the expansion dropping and I'm dreading it. The tab targeting is garbage. I think it's supposed to tab to whatever is closest to the center of your screen, but it also keeps distance in mind? Either way, it never works. I end out not targeting what I need to, ever. I've never played an MMO on keyboard/mouse that cramped my hands after 30 minutes of combat. I hate the combat, especially if I have to min/max my role. Tab around as fast as you can, follow your min/max skill order as fast as you can, rinse repeat. Actually, after playing Black Desert Online, it further solidified my hatred of FFXIV's combat.
Tab targeting is easier. Since you don't need fast reflexes to do anything is a very calming experience. I have used a controller and keyboard and mouse and never have run into your experience.

Black Desert's combat can be either a very frustrating experience (if you are into pvp) or very rewarding. You can play very casually and get a good amount of damage or read guides and try to max your dps output to deal insane amounts.

Black Desert is also very much a solo experience until you reach lvl 54+ then getting into sausan parties is a must. FFXIV encourages interaction with other players. FFXIV feels more like an MMO than BDO.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Tab targeting is easier. Since you don't need fast reflexes to do anything is a very calming experience. I have used a controller and keyboard and mouse and never have run into your experience.

Black Desert's combat can be either a very frustrating experience (if you are into pvp) or very rewarding. You can play very casually and get a good amount of damage or read guides and try to max your dps output to deal insane amounts.

Black Desert is also very much a solo experience until you reach lvl 54+ then getting into sausan parties is a must. FFXIV encourages interaction with other players. FFXIV feels more like an MMO than BDO.
You don't do the guild missions or anything? I found the game was very guild driven between guild missions, guild wars, sieges, etc.

On the tab targeting, yah that's of course just my opinion. I much prefer free form action combat in an MMO. Tab targeting seems like a technical limitation of the past and too restrictive for my taste. But I know some people love it.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
ashikenshin
Subscriber

I don't know the benefits of doing guild missions, guild wars and sieges involve pvp which I'm not very good at.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
I don't know the benefits of doing guild missions, guild wars and sieges involve pvp which I'm not very good at.
The guild missions can be fun and require everyone working together. There are 3 types basically. Combat, Bosses, and Gather/Trading/Crafting.

When you turn in a quest,you get Guild points and silver for your guild funds. You also get guild karma. Guild points are used to obtain and level up guild skills. The guild skills are actually pretty great. They can boost stats of everyone in the guild, etc. I think you can even teleport to each other once you get that guild skill.

Also, the more guild silver you get, the more you can pay your guild mates with a guild contract. (You get paid daily by the guild when you're in one) and you can use funds to rent a guild hall.

There are probably some other benefits, but I haven't played in a little while.

Tags
black desert, kakao games