Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 03:13 PM
4 Replies, 661 Views

Old 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #21
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I don't care if it was expected or not, this looks like Xcom geared for 5 year olds. Without the actual depth of Xcom. When are you going to hold Nintendo to a standard higher than celebrating the same ol kiddie crap over and over and over? Take Mario out back, and put a bullet in his head, I'm sick of seeing him every 1 out of 3 Nintendo titles.
You don't know if it's deep or not... but your right that it may not be.. but looking at the demo gameplay it's certainly got the potential of depth. Looks a bit more puzzle like and bite sized but certainly different enough IMO. I don't really care if it looks childish.. just like I don't care if the main character of a game is male/female/black/white or a geometric shape... it's utterly irrelevant IMO as long as it plays well. For me Mario doesn't matter either other than it's normally a sign of quality.. not always but at least you know Nintendo have said.. yeah it's not rubbish.. only recent game IMO that was absolute garbage on a mechanical level was Colour Splash how the heck that one got out the door boggles the mind.

This and Mario Odyssey seem like really interesting games and certainly my top picks from this years E3.. some really good games elsewhere but also a number of the same game reskinned from a number of developers...
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketMagnet View Post
You don't know if it's deep or not... but your right that it may not be.. but looking at the demo gameplay it's certainly got the potential of depth. Looks a bit more puzzle like and bite sized but certainly different enough IMO. I don't really care if it looks childish.. just like I don't care if the main character of a game is male/female/black/white or a geometric shape... it's utterly irrelevant IMO as long as it plays well. For me Mario doesn't matter either other than it's normally a sign of quality.. not always but at least you know Nintendo have said.. yeah it's not rubbish.. only recent game IMO that was absolute garbage on a mechanical level was Colour Splash how the heck that one got out the door boggles the mind.

This and Mario Odyssey seem like really interesting games and certainly my top picks from this years E3.. some really good games elsewhere but also a number of the same game reskinned from a number of developers...
I get what you're saying, for me I was sick of Nintendo IP after the NES, so I think that's why at this point I'm just completely over everything they do, since it feels like they're just churning out the same tired 3-5 games over and over every console cycle. That and I was never really into their kid centric themes, that's not what I'm looking for in gaming.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #23
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I don't care if it was expected or not, this looks like Xcom geared for 5 year olds. Without the actual depth of Xcom. When are you going to hold Nintendo to a standard higher than celebrating the same ol kiddie crap over and over and over? Take Mario out back, and put a bullet in his head, I'm sick of seeing him every 1 out of 3 Nintendo titles.
I'm not celebrating shit; I simply said it was completely unexpected. I'm willing to give Mario x XCOM a shot because it's completely fucking out-there.

I have no idea what sort of depth the game is going to have; you've seen just as much of it as I have.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:39 PM   #24
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I get what you're saying, for me I was sick of Nintendo IP after the NES, so I think that's why at this point I'm just completely over everything they do, since it feels like they're just churning out the same tired 3-5 games over and over every console cycle. That and I was never really into their kid centric themes, that's not what I'm looking for in gaming.
You accuse them of churning out the "same tired 3-5 games over and over every console cycle"...and yet when they announce something completely new and different, you're still full of piss and vinegar.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #25
LostToys
Evil Dead

His issue is the IP, not that the game isn't different from other titles in the IP. So the game may be completely different and out there, but because the core IP is there (Mushroom Kingdom, Mario, etc) is still feels derivative. Characters and are style go a long way in how the game looks, even if the gameplay is different, so if the characters and art are pretty much all the same, then the games get very same-y feeling over time.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #26
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
You accuse them of churning out the "same tired 3-5 games over and over every console cycle"...and yet when they announce something completely new and different, you're still full of piss and vinegar.
Nintendo is known for throwing Mario characters into every game under the sun, from tetris clones, to final fantasy type rpg's and everything else under the sun. I hardly see how this is completely new and different by their track record. Enough with fucking Mario, make a new IP with NEW characters.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #27
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Nintendo is known for throwing Mario characters into every game under the sun, from tetris clones, to final fantasy type rpg's and everything else under the sun. I hardly see how this is completely new and different by their track record. Enough with fucking Mario, make a new IP with NEW characters.
You mean like Splatoon or ARMS?

I'm sure those won't count in some capacity or another, though.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #28
ashikenshin
Subscriber

omg they have 2!!!! Spectral, your argument got invalidated like that! holy fuck, two new IPs! take that!
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #29
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
You mean like Splatoon or ARMS?

I'm sure those won't count in some capacity or another, though.
Fair enough, I'll do you one better, make a new IP that isn't geared towards children that would make me give a shit about their hardware.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:11 PM   #30
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
omg they have 2!!!! Spectral, your argument got invalidated like that! holy fuck, two new IPs! take that!
They've released two brand-new IPs since 2015, which is more than most companies have accomplished within a similar span of time. If we look at, say, Bethesda, over a similar span of time, we have:

A Wolfenstein Game
Two Elder Scrolls games (one of which was a remaster)
Two Fallout games (one of which was mobile, the other being the fifth(!) entry in the series)
A Dishonored sequel (and a remaster of the original)
A new DOOM title

Look at all of those brand new IPs from a major publisher/developer!

Quote:
Fair enough, I'll do you one better, make a new IP that isn't geared towards children that would make me give a shit about their hardware.
Heh, looks like I was right. Two new IPs within the span of two years and they still somehow don't count in your book.

Let's be honest with ourselves; you wouldn't give a shit about the game or the hardware, even if they came out with a game just as violent and bloody as, say, Gears of War.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #31
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
They've released two brand-new IPs since 2015, which is more than most companies have accomplished within a similar span of time. If we look at, say, Bethesda, over a similar span of time, we have:

A Wolfenstein Game
Two Elder Scrolls games (one of which was a remaster)
Two Fallout games (one of which was mobile, the other being the fifth(!) entry in the series)
A Dishonored sequel (and a remaster of the original)
A new DOOM title

Look at all of those brand new IPs from a major publisher/developer!

Heh, looks like I was right. Two new IPs within the span of two years and they still somehow don't count in your book.

Let's be honest with ourselves; you wouldn't give a shit about the game or the hardware, even if they came out with a game just as violent and bloody as, say, Gears of War.
IP's that are again, GEARED TOWARDS CHILDREN. You and idiots like 31 flavors and Pat may get off on kiddie shit, me however I'm not going to drop hundreds on hardware for games meant for preteens. That is the majority of Nintendo's catalog. Deal with it Chimp, deal with someone's opinion that doesn't fit into your little Nintendo fanboi narrative, you poor oppressed little shithead.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:51 PM   #32
ashikenshin
Subscriber

Bethesda? lol why don't you use Sony? or even Microsoft? Square-Enix? You went for the publisher/developer that has released Skyrim 8 or 9 times already.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #33
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Bethesda? lol why don't you use Sony? or even Microsoft? Square-Enix? You went for the publisher/developer that has released Skyrim 8 or 9 times already.
Which is why he chose the one example of Bethesda to push his narrative, as if there aren't plenty of innovative titles from publishers that aren't Nintendo.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #34
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
IP's that are again, GEARED TOWARDS CHILDREN. You and idiots like 31 flavors and Pat may get off on kiddie shit, me however I'm not going to drop hundreds on hardware for games meant for preteens. That is the majority of Nintendo's catalog. Deal with it Chimp, deal with someone's opinion that doesn't fit into your little Nintendo fanboi narrative, you poor oppressed little shithead.
I'm pretty sure I've gone on record numerous times stating I don't give a good god damn if you like Nintendo, their games or their products.

It's your assinine, uninformed bullshit that sticks in my craw.

Quote:
Which is why he chose the one example of Bethesda to push his narrative, as if there aren't plenty of innovative titles from publishers that aren't Nintendo.
When did I say there wasn't? I own an Xbox One, a PS4 and a gaming PC along with the Switch for a reason.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #35
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I've gone on record numerous times stating I don't give a good god damn if you like Nintendo, their games or their products.

It's your assinine, uninformed bullshit that sticks in my craw.

When did I say there wasn't? I own an Xbox One, a PS4 and a gaming PC along with the Switch for a reason.
You don't give a damn yet you complain about it with post quotes every single time. Even going so far to bring it up in threads not involving Nintendo. Surely signs of somone who doesn't care and whose jimmies aren't easily rustled.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:56 AM   #36
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
Confucius say "Do not reason with cuntstain when you can troll him"
Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #37
AlfredT
Evil Dead

Quote:
You don't give a damn yet you complain about it with post quotes every single time. Even going so far to bring it up in threads not involving Nintendo. Surely signs of somone who doesn't care and whose jimmies aren't easily rustled.
Or you're talent at being a stupid cunt that annoys anyone who has the misfortune to read your idiotic, hypocritical and stupid-er than you have to be due to extreme fucking effort comments.

Also, wait.. you are going to tell him that he "complains" about it... "it" being your rampant hate on for anything not utterly retarded like you.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #38
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

Quote:
Hmm but Nintendo have clearly changed direction as if you pay attention to their marketing it's all focussed on 20+ age group.. you don't see children in the marketing like you did with previous consoles.. ergo their strategy has changed. The theme of a game is irrelevant as you can have difficult and deep gaming irrespective.. it's not a factor in gameplay mechanics and which is obvious many older Nintendo games with "stylised" gfx, it's only really the recent stuff that was dumbed down.

The games they have shown clearly have more "mature" mechanics and the real teller is they apparently did not make/commission another Metroid Prime Game because they though they were too complex/difficult for their target audience.. well now along with all their marketing aiming at core gamers they are making a MP game.. all the evidence is there that they have totally shifted.

Yes people got very excited for a new Metroid Prime (Just a title screen) but it's not just the game.. it's a statement of intent.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #39
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredT View Post
Or you're talent at being a stupid cunt that annoys anyone who has the misfortune to read your idiotic, hypocritical and stupid-er than you have to be due to extreme fucking effort comments.

Also, wait.. you are going to tell him that he "complains" about it... "it" being your rampant hate on for anything not utterly retarded like you.
Can you go a single post with out calling someone a cunt? No? Didn't think so. Look in the mirror retard.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #40
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
All of new IPs Microsoft published during the same period of time (since 2015) were from indy studios. Out of everything, State of Decay, ReCore and Ori and the Blind Forest were the only noteworthy games. Unless you want to count things like Screamride and Happy Wars, there really wasn't much coming out of Microsoft in terms of new, quality IPs. Bear in mind, these are all games Microsoft published, but they did not have and hand in the development process.

In terms of games they've actually made themselves, we've got more Forza, Halo and Gears of War.

Sony fared a little better; they helped contribute Bloodborne, Helldivers, The Order: 1866, Until Dawn, Everyone's Going to the Rapture, Nioh, Horizon Zero Daw and a handful of others, most of which were digital-only. Sony at least contributed - in some part - to the actual development of many of these games. Sony certainly has fared better by bringing - or helping to bring - some newer stuff to the plate...but, the only one that really stuck was Horizon Zero Dawn.

When you look at stuff developed internally, two new IPs within two years really isn't all that far off track.

Tags
kingdom battle, mario rabbids