Yesterday 01:32 PM
21 Replies, 1,414 Views
» Promotion

Old 06-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Have you actually played Super Mario 3D Land on either WiiU or 3DS?! Because that had a ton of new ideas. Or are you just looking at game cover artwork, because you sound ignorant.
See, that's the thing; he's admitted on multiple occasions that he hasn't touched any of these games for the better part of two decades.

In other words...he really wouldn't have a legitimate opinion on any of this, by any reasonable standards.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
In other words...he really wouldn't have a legitimate opinion on any of this, by any reasonable standards.
Ah...the very definition of a Troll. Gotcha.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:14 AM   #23
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Have you actually played Super Mario 3D Land on either WiiU or 3DS?! Because that had a ton of new ideas. Or are you just looking at game cover artwork, because you sound ignorant.
Some people dislike isometric platformers, full stop. This is a fair reason to discount the game. Me, for instance--I hate isometric platformers. I played 3D Land when I purchased littlest-now-not-so-little sister her WiiU and it didn't change MY opinion on the concept. Worse, it felt second rate. It wasn't big, grand and a must play entry ino the vaunted franchise. Instead, it was the gameboy Super Mario, the okay title that has the franchise name but none of the scope of Galaxy or Galaxy 2.

Your continuous and obsessive defense of the Wii U is unwarranted. It failed. Let it die because you aren't changing the opinion of the millions more gamers that didn't but the system than those that did. And tell Kelsey I said "Bleeyarg." She'll understand.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #24
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Some people dislike isometric platformers, full stop. This is a fair reason to discount the game. Me, for instance--I hate isometric platformers. I played 3D Land when I purchased littlest-now-not-so-little sister her WiiU and it didn't change MY opinion on the concept. Worse, it felt second rate. It wasn't big, grand and a must play entry ino the vaunted franchise. Instead, it was the gameboy Super Mario, the okay title that has the franchise name but none of the scope of Galaxy or Galaxy 2.

Your continuous and obsessive defense of the Wii U is unwarranted. It failed. Let it die because you aren't changing the opinion of the millions more gamers that didn't but the system than those that did. And tell Kelsey I said "Bleeyarg." She'll understand.
Not liking isometric platformers is a fair reason to personally discount Mario 3D World to a point (It's 3D World, not 3D Land on the Wii U. More of people talking about shit they have no idea about), and I don't know that many Mario and Nintendo fans would say the game was as grand as Mario 64 or Galaxy or Galaxy 2, but if you like or even don't mind isometric platformers, Super Mario 3D World was a solid entry to the franchise. It's easy to like if you aren't against the genre or the developer/publisher. It does have some fresh ideas, it is a great couch co-op experience, and it presented fairly difficult challenges for more hardcore players and completionists. Collecting all 3 green stars on every level was difficult. I think that's why it has a critic's score of 93 on metacritic.

I've put significant time into the game to get all 3 stars per level, unlock every stamp, and unlock everything else, and I have no difficulty stating that Nintendo made a shitty game when they make a shitty game. 3D World is not a shitty game. It's not perfect, and it's not a "masterpiece". It won't be for everyone, especially if they dislike the isometric platforming, but that goes for every genre. But to say that the game is "bad" having never played it, because you personally don't like the genre of game is absurd, because not every game in a genre is the same. I generally don't like comedy movies. I love a few comedy movies. My opinion of a comedy movie I've never seen is irrelevant to anyone else. I think Metal Jesus's critique of Spectral was fair. I've played thousands of games far worse in quality, controls, mechanics, and "fun factor" than 3D World and I'm only tolerant at best on the genre of platformer. I don't like many of them. But you have to play the game to weigh it's elements and quality vs other games.

Odyssey is nothing like 3D World. It's not isometric for starters. So spectral trying to leverage 3D world as the example in which Odyssey doesn't matter makes no sense. He also claimed that Mario has remained the same over the years, when in reality the franchise has evolved as much as a fan could hope for with an IP that is over 30 years old. To have an IP that has been around that long and still has a standard so high that anything short of a brilliant game is a failure says all you need to know about the franchise.

Why are you giving Metal Jesus shit for enjoying the Wii U anyway? The Wii U was an awesome diversion from AAA Western games, which has become the 2010's movie industry. They're "summer blockbusters". Big and flashy, void of substance and quality, and boring. I highly doubt he's trying to "sell" anyone on anything. I'm sure he's aware the Wii U era has come and gone. Like him, I personally enjoyed Super Mario 3D WORLD and the Wii U. If you didn't - great. good. I'm sure you have impeccable taste and your opinion is the correct one.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:59 AM   #25
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I'm looking at actual gameplay. Adding a water gun for mario or in this instance letting him toss his stupid hat and morphing into whatever isn't that innovative.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:47 AM   #26
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
I'm looking at actual gameplay. Adding a water gun for mario or in this instance letting him toss his stupid hat and morphing into whatever isn't that innovative.
The general concept of taking over enemies isn't necessarily new...but it does completely change the way the "sandbox" style of Mario games is approached and turns it completely on it's head. The approach to any given level or area would be entirely different because of it.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #27
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
The general concept of taking over enemies isn't necessarily new...but it does completely change the way the "sandbox" style of Mario games is approached and turns it completely on it's head. The approach to any given level or area would be entirely different because of it.
Except that Mario titles aren't open world sandboxes. They're linear.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #28
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Odyssey is nothing like 3D World. It's not isometric for starters. So spectral trying to leverage 3D world as the example in which Odyssey doesn't matter makes no sense.
It's the most recent game to carry the name of the franchise. It is very fair to compare a GTX 1080 to a GTX 980.

Quote:
He also claimed that Mario has remained the same over the years, when in reality the franchise has evolved as much as a fan could hope for with an IP that is over 30 years old. To have an IP that has been around that long and still has a standard so high that anything short of a brilliant game is a failure says all you need to know about the franchise.
Video game franchises are ubiquitous to the medium. Mario IS one of the older ones, certainly the oldest with current success, but suggesting that success over time is unique in this industry is actually kind of strange.

Quote:
Why are you giving Metal Jesus shit for enjoying the Wii U anyway?
...Is this your first day here? Hello, I'm Rommel. Nice to meet you. I hate you.

Quote:
I'm sure you have impeccable taste and your opinion is the correct one.
Well now fuckface, here's a point I cannot argue you shit.
Quote:
*Not in context
Old 06-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #29
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Not liking isometric platformers is a fair reason to personally discount Mario 3D World to a point (It's 3D World, not 3D Land on the Wii U. More of people talking about shit they have no idea about), and I don't know that many Mario and Nintendo fans would say the game was as grand as Mario 64 or Galaxy or Galaxy 2, but if you like or even don't mind isometric platformers, Super Mario 3D World was a solid entry to the franchise. It's easy to like if you aren't against the genre or the developer/publisher. It does have some fresh ideas, it is a great couch co-op experience, and it presented fairly difficult challenges for more hardcore players and completionists. Collecting all 3 green stars on every level was difficult. I think that's why it has a critic's score of 93 on metacritic.

I've put significant time into the game to get all 3 stars per level, unlock every stamp, and unlock everything else, and I have no difficulty stating that Nintendo made a shitty game when they make a shitty game. 3D World is not a shitty game. It's not perfect, and it's not a "masterpiece". It won't be for everyone, especially if they dislike the isometric platforming, but that goes for every genre. But to say that the game is "bad" having never played it, because you personally don't like the genre of game is absurd, because not every game in a genre is the same. I generally don't like comedy movies. I love a few comedy movies. My opinion of a comedy movie I've never seen is irrelevant to anyone else. I think Metal Jesus's critique of Spectral was fair. I've played thousands of games far worse in quality, controls, mechanics, and "fun factor" than 3D World and I'm only tolerant at best on the genre of platformer. I don't like many of them. But you have to play the game to weigh it's elements and quality vs other games.

Odyssey is nothing like 3D World. It's not isometric for starters. So spectral trying to leverage 3D world as the example in which Odyssey doesn't matter makes no sense. He also claimed that Mario has remained the same over the years, when in reality the franchise has evolved as much as a fan could hope for with an IP that is over 30 years old. To have an IP that has been around that long and still has a standard so high that anything short of a brilliant game is a failure says all you need to know about the franchise.

Why are you giving Metal Jesus shit for enjoying the Wii U anyway? The Wii U was an awesome diversion from AAA Western games, which has become the 2010's movie industry. They're "summer blockbusters". Big and flashy, void of substance and quality, and boring. I highly doubt he's trying to "sell" anyone on anything. I'm sure he's aware the Wii U era has come and gone. Like him, I personally enjoyed Super Mario 3D WORLD and the Wii U. If you didn't - great. good. I'm sure you have impeccable taste and your opinion is the correct one.
I hate platformers period, I've said this multiple upon multiple times now. Going from Isometric to 3d oh so innovative, except the truth is the entire industry went to 3d with advances in hardware, that's kinda how the tech and video game industry has functioned since it's inception, and most of of said industry that Nintendo is a part of was doing 3d long before the suspender wearing plumber. If your best defense to say Nintendo has evolved their unfortunately never ending string of mario platformers is to say "Oh it's 3d so it's not like the older games!" I'm sorry but that's pretty weaksauce. A platformer is a platformer. You can pretty up a pig as much as you want at the end of the day it's still a pig.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #30
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
...Is this your first day here? Hello, I'm Rommel. Nice to meet you. I hate you.
Not enough hugs in your life. I think you're awesome! *googly eyes* Bring it in Roms! Let's play some games together, Buuuuuuddy!

Quote:
Well now fuckface, here's a point I cannot argue, you shit.
Good, good. It's settled then.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 06-15-2017 at 02:31 PM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Except that Mario titles aren't open world sandboxes. They're linear.
I never said they were open-world.

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine had non-linear, sandbox style environments. While there was a certain level of linearity to the overall progression of these games, they was still a level of "sandbox" openness to them and they way they were approached. Each "level" was wide open, served multiple purposes and could be tackled in a variety of ways. Additionally, many of the levels were unlocked simultaneously and could be tackled in any order and many "missions" could be completed before they were technically unlocked through normal progression. The whole design of these two games was about exploring large, open three-dimensional environments in a more-or-less nonlinear fashion.

They're not open world experiences like, GTA...but, the overall design is much more open, nonlinear and "sandbox-like" than, say, Super Mario Bros or any game with a clear, static progression. Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine were not, however, wholly linear games.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 06-15-2017 at 10:39 AM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #32
Dave Pentore
Peon

The last time I played Super Mario was some time in the 90's! Brings back old memories, but this one looks amazing!
Dave Pentore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:13 AM   #33
Scherge
Voice of Reason

I think the game itself looks great, but from the moment Mario took off his cap, the only thing I could think of was

Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 AM   #34
Rommel
International Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I think the game itself looks great, but from the moment Mario took off his cap, the only thing I could think of was

This is now a Sailor Moon thread.

Quote:
*Not in context
Old 06-16-2017, 04:46 AM   #35
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Oh my God, the visuals even look like Sonic '06.

The gameplay actually looks extremely fun. Not unexpected, since this is the first full-scale 3D Mario game since the Galaxy games.
What are you, 13?

I'm so happy the graphics wars are over. Nintendo can now shine.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #36
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Some people dislike isometric platformers, full stop.
I hate them to. 3D world is still very very good. You dont even notice. Stop being a turbo fag and get a wiiu and a pro controller. Its a rock solid console and is in my top 5.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 AM   #37
Capt_Thad
Do a Barrell Roll

They show some co-op in that clip. Player 2 can control Cappy independently of Mario. Seems like an improved version of the "co-op" play from Super Mario Galaxy.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Such a disappointment, game is garbage.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 11:17 AM   #39
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
I'm glad you can determine this nearly 4.5 months prior to it's release.

Last edited by Chimpbot; 06-16-2017 at 12:26 PM..
Chimpbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #40
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by karaliusbronius View Post
Dumbfuck. Stop trying so hard.

Tags
e317, mario, nintendo