Thronebreaker: The...
Last post by Exodus
Yesterday 11:39 AM
9 Replies, 1,304 Views

Old 09-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Telltale Games Shutting Down

Multiple developers have taken to social media to announce that studio Telltale Games is shutting down, letting go all but 25 employees -- and only keeping those 25 to finish a single project before the studio closes. Gamasutra has the word.

Quote:
While Telltale Games representatives have not yet responded to our request for comment and further details, word is spreading that the studio maintains only a skeleton crew (25 people out of what was estimated to be a staff size of ~250 people) to complete work on a single project. The rest were let go this week, reportedly without any severance, and it sounds as though all of the company's other ongoing projects are in jeopardy or have been cancelled outright, including The Wolf Among Us 2.
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #2
LostToys
Evil Dead

To be honest this was a long time coming. They continued to use the same game engine across multiple titles and without major updates to it, the storytelling was done similarly across multiple titles, and the overall interactivity was minimal across multiple titles. So it really came down to "Telltale fatigue" as nothing ever seemed "significantly different" whenever they would announce they were working on a new property of a sequel. This can work for big budget movies and games, but not indy games, where the same just means someone else is doing it better or differently somewhere else.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

~300 people?! Are they nuts? The burn-rate for sure was insane there. How in the hell could they justify that headcount when only two of their games were profitable? Let alone based on the types of games they made. Think of it this way Retro Studios has about 150 people and this point and click company had 300?? What the?! How the?!

This is clear mismanagement of not only resources but of the company as a whole. WTF.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
LostToys
Evil Dead

They had a huge burn rate because they were popping out something like two titles a year. They had such a huge, aggressive schedule, likely related to how they signed their contracts for their licensed properties.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:48 AM   #5
NESter the Unlikely
Death Knight

So somebody else can make a new Sam and Max now, right?

Right?
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:15 AM   #6
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

What a shame. I played a couple of their games (Walking Dead Season 1, Game of Thrones), and although they have great writers I think Telltale's engine had the wrong focus from the start. The same controls and over-reliance on quicktime events makes for a chore to play. Quickly mashing the space bar to dodge or hit E to win aren't compelling. Give me point and click to move around and right click to open an interaction wheel. Simple and works. Keep the reflex stuff to a handful of instances at most. I miss the 90s sometimes.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
blackzc
Evil Dead

Its like, if i want to watch a movie i would.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 AM   #8
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I liked TWD when it was new, I really liked A Wolf Among Us and was looking forward to the sequel. I couldn't get into Game of Thrones or Batman, and I bought a pack that had the Borderlands game but I never played it nor TWD one that starred the black katana girl whose name I forget. I still have the Back to the Future game installed on my PS3 but I never played it.

Overall they played themselves out. Even if you like all the properties there's only so many of these we can play per year. Like less than one. I also disliked the episodic formula, and would always wait until all episodes were out if I even was interested in a game of theirs.

I hate for people to lose their jobs, but as others had said they were mismanaged.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #9
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

Sorry to hear it. I enjoyed their games. Casual, easy to play, inexpensive and good stories. Borderlands was hilarious. Wolf Among Us was fun and gritty. Walking Dead was kind of sad all the time, but good stories.

I wouldn't want them to be the only games I played, but sometimes I was in the mood for that kind of experience. They did a lot of things right.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Wolf Among Us was really enjoyable

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Wolf Among Us was really enjoyable
That's because it had a dark and modern twist on it call it once upon a time kind of thing where you're looking for who is a reference to what. It was unique.

All of their games were formulaic. They thought they could be the next lego franchise and be the pop up books video gaming. I feel more sorry for those that worked there that complained that they needed to innovate and had to keep their mouth shut lest they got fired.

On top of hiring way too much and biting off more than they can chew let this be an example of why we always need to keep pushing innovation. It's not just to remain open but it's to keep those 300 people working.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
That's because it had a dark and modern twist on it call it once upon a time kind of thing where you're looking for who is a reference to what. It was unique.

All of their games were formulaic. They thought they could be the next lego franchise and be the pop up books video gaming. I feel more sorry for those that worked there that complained that they needed to innovate and had to keep their mouth shut lest they got fired.

On top of hiring way too much and biting off more than they can chew let this be an example of why we always need to keep pushing innovation. It's not just to remain open but it's to keep those 300 people working.
You bring up the Lego games and they're exactly what I thought about when this closure was announced. The Lego games all feel the same to me but it seems like they continue to thrive. I groan inside a bit when my kids ask me to play any of the Lego games with them because I just don't get the appeal. I guess the brand is just that strong.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
Oddmaker
Developer

I knew a few guys there and I'm good friends with one, he said he hasn't been paid for 4 months and then he knew something was up

Tags
telltale games, the walking dead