Today 06:56 AM
9 Replies, 598 Views

Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Homefront: The Revolution Reviews #Homefront

GamesRadar - 3/5

Quote:
There’s definitely an interesting game here if you fancy a different paced shooter. There’s just a few bits that don't quite click. The pace between the Red and Yellow Zones doesn’t flow as smoothly as it could, for example. The scrappy free roam fighting can deliver some great moments, but just as equally frustrate with loops of dying and respawning (the more restrictive set pieces fights can be especially guilty of this) and guns just don't feel... 'right'. Combined it all keeps Homefront at the level of ‘basically okay’.
VideoGamer - 6/10

Quote:
Despite its problems, Homefront: The Revolution isn't the disaster many would have anticipated, and it gets a lot right. If you're after a Far Cry game this year but don't want to throw sticks at mammoths, then it's worth checking out.

I played Homefront: The Revolution on PC, and apart from a few bugs and some unwanted pausing after saving or completing objectives the game generally ran well (i5, GTX 980 combo). The PlayStation 4 version is a completely different story: while it retains the look and feel of the PC build, it runs terribly, so much so that it is one of the worst-performing games I've ever played on the machine. Much of Homefront takes place outdoors, and the PS4 version simply doesn't cope with it: an early-game raid on a house, which sees the player slip past enemies and into the street, slowed to a crawl in our playthrough, and likewise other exterior gameplay was little better. Texture quality is also worse, but the frame rate is the real killer, so much so that I would struggle to recommend the game to anyone at all (and that is with the day one patch installed). As for the Xbox One version: we haven't played it yet, so tread carefully. If you've got a PC, get it on PC.
IGN - 5.0/10

Quote:
Though its world has some great aesthetic devices and a cool concept, ultimately all of Homefront: The Revolution’s elements feel repetitive, unpolished, or downright unnecessary. Over the length of its campaign it fails to deliver a satisfying - or even fully functional - shooter experience.
HardcoreGamer - 2/5

Quote:
While Homefront: The Revolution had potential to be great, its mediocre gameplay, lackluster story and myriad of technical issues make it one of the biggest disappointments of the generation. The PC’s iteration’s disastrous framerate and texture streaming follies take what could have been a halfway decent game and make it a pure test of patience on the part of the player. Even without all of the bugs and performance issues, Homefront: The Revolution‘s moment-to-moment gameplay feels dated, and in a month where so many dynamic first-person shooters are launching, this stands out even more.
The Jimquisition - 1/10

Quote:
Simply put, Homefront: The Revolution is outclassed in its bracket by every other big-budget game released this generation. And that’s without getting into how shockingly shit the PC version is.

This game made me feel unwell, it bored me to tears, and it irritated the piss out of me.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

I have a press copy of of the PC version. I'll take one for the team and try it out.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

1.3 hours is all I could take for now. Don't buy it at full price. Wait until it's dirt cheap.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Blog
Evil Dead

Ouch. Like, $5 cheap?
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Even if this sequel wasn't a stinker, I'd bet it would struggle anyway. The last game I'd want to compete with is DOOM, especially when folks are so enamored with it right now...and Homefront came out a mere four days after DOOM.

It was going to get destroyed anyway, so I guess the fact it sucks isn't quite as big of a deal.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog View Post
Ouch. Like, $5 cheap?
$20 if they patch it into working order. I'm running a 4.6 GHz AMD, 16GB 1866 MHz DDR3, Samsung SSD (with a WD Black for game storage) and a GTX 980 Ti at 1080p. With everything maxed, except AA which is the medium setting, the game runs great most of the time. Occasionally the frame rate can tank from well over 60fps to like 5fps, after a bit it will start running fine again. I've had it lock for 30 seconds, then go back to running normal. (The game uses Crytek's CryEngine.)

I want to like the game. Dambuster gave it an honest effort to make a good game out of it. But stuff like the guns feeling like pea shooters and numerous bugs make it tough.

You'll quickly notice every woman in the game used the same doctor for their boob job.

The evil blimp.

I'm thinking STDs.

Graffiti is big with the rebels.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Damn, I really wanted this to be good. I love the idea of that setting but it seems this series is doomed to die here.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:30 AM   #8
Mix-Master
Subscriber

Guess the 2 prior failed attempts will bode well when Kim Jong makes it a 3rd time.

Hey if they can put a man on the sun, Those N Koreans can do anything.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
Azrael
Evil Dead

This is what i was expecting... Having said that down the line i'll be happy to play this at $15-20
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dambuster studios, deep silver, homefront: the revolution