World War Z Launches in...
Last post by Robberbaron
Today 01:27 PM
3 Replies, 494 Views

Old 04-02-2018, 07:45 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Ready Player One wins the Easter Egg Hunt for Box-Office Dollars

Steven Spielberg has found his way back to the top of the box office with the action-adventure Ready Player One, landing in the #1 spot with a $53.2 million opening weekend.

Here is the Weekend Boxoffice Chart for the weekend of March 30th to April 1st.
  1. Ready Player One $41.2/$53.2
  2. Tyler Perry's Acrimony $17.1/$17.1
  3. Black Panther $11.2/$650.6
  4. I Can Only Imagine $10.7/$55.5
  5. Pacific Rim Uprising $9.2/$45.6
  6. Sherlock Gnomes $7.0/$22.8
  7. Love, Simon $4.8/$32.1
  8. Tomb Raider $4.7/$50.5
  9. A Wrinkle in Time $4.6/$83.2
  10. Paul, Apostle of Christ $3.5/$11.5
  11. Isle Of Dogs $2.8/$5.9
  12. God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness $2.6/$2.6
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Saw Ready Player One. Was underwhelmed. Really well and truly bored for the first 45 minutes to an hour. Actually told my wife we should have gone to see something else. Paint-by-numbers predictability set in 2045 yet somehow with nary a pop-culture reference from anything 2017-2045, lol (Spielberg running on creative fumes perhaps?).

Home viewing is plenty. See it once, never again.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Paint-by-numbers predictability set in 2045 yet somehow with nary a pop-culture reference from anything 2017-2045, lol (Spielberg running on creative fumes perhaps?).
This is more of a fault with the source material than Spielberg. It's not as if the book referenced anything past the early 00's, either.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 AM   #4
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Saw Ready Player One. Was underwhelmed. Really well and truly bored for the first 45 minutes to an hour. Actually told my wife we should have gone to see something else. Paint-by-numbers predictability set in 2045 yet somehow with nary a pop-culture reference from anything 2017-2045, lol (Spielberg running on creative fumes perhaps?).

Home viewing is plenty. See it once, never again.
Did you read the book? I got a free copy a couple of years back and just read it last week. It’s a quick read and full of pop culture references that appeal to me but I wouldn’t call it well written. The overall idea was okay and it kept me turning pages but the references were shoehorned and the characters were flat. Overall it was fun but extremely shallow. I’m expecting the same from the movie.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #5
Sensei-X
Evil Dead

Pacific Rim Uprising dropped like a rock, ouch. But honestly not really surprising.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
Sammael
Nope, nope. Not this time

I really liked the movie. I thought it was the first movie that actually understood games and applied the knowledge in a way that wasn't embarrassing.
It felt like an 80's movie in formula and execution.
I went and saw it with friends opening night (all gamers), and I am going again with my wife since she wants to see it. We all really enjoyed it.

Biggest Ranger Fan on EA!!!!!!!!
Lets go Rangers!!!!
Sammael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
This is more of a fault with the source material than Spielberg. It's not as if the book referenced anything past the early 00's, either.
This is the whole point of the book, it is only 80's references. It's actually extremely disappointing that there were not MORE 80's references and was instead references to a bunch of current pop culture stuff like Overwatch and Halo.

Jurassic Park and King Kong are hardly 80's references. (1993 and 1976)

There is nothing in the movie about Pac-Man and nothing in the book about Iron Giant. They also really glossed over the Serenity.

We thought it was a really decent movie, I would say the main problem with the movie is that if you have seen the trailers, you have seen the whole movie. I was afraid of that when I watched the trailer. Knowing how expensive CGI is, I just figured that if we are seeing a lot of CGI in the trailers that those are close to 100% of the Oasis scenes... and I was right.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #8
Terran
Evil Dead

The CGI in the film is about as good as I've ever seen, I will say that. I noticed one little hitch in the CGI, during a scene in the (this is not a spoiler) dance bar/hall/whatever...the lady he was walking with looked for a few steps pretty janky in her walking movements.

I have to say, other than that it was amazingly well done on the CGI side. Quite impressive. I just found it intensely...boring and predictable.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I enjoyed the movie, but like the book better. I wish they would have stuck with it a little more. It would have been a lot darker in tone. It was definitely fun to watch on the big screen though. My kids enjoyed it so I am sure it will be a classic for them growing up. Also it seems to be doing well so they will probably create a sequel. I know Cline is writing the sequel now.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Isn’t it sad that a movie about the 80’s has no montage???
Old 04-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #11
Exodus
Evil Dead

Quote:
The CGI in the film is about as good as I've ever seen, I will say that. I noticed one little hitch in the CGI, during a scene in the (this is not a spoiler) dance bar/hall/whatever...the lady he was walking with looked for a few steps pretty janky in her walking movements.

I have to say, other than that it was amazingly well done on the CGI side. Quite impressive. I just found it intensely...boring and predictable.
It is supposed to be a jerk off to the 80's gamer so sounds about right. I mean come on guys don't expect high quality writing here this was never meant to be that and it's a really stupid point to make akin to expecting adult content in a kids movie or country music at a rap concert. Get over it.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #12
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Did you read the book? I got a free copy a couple of years back and just read it last week. It’s a quick read and full of pop culture references that appeal to me but I wouldn’t call it well written. The overall idea was okay and it kept me turning pages but the references were shoehorned and the characters were flat. Overall it was fun but extremely shallow. I’m expecting the same from the movie.
I feel like this is exactly the reaction from 99% of people when the book first came out. But the positive reaction to the book grew over time. Now, with the movie, I keep seeing people saying the book is a “modern classic”.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
...akin to expecting adult content in a kids movie or country music at a rap concert.
Damn, you live under a rock? One of the best things about kids movies/shows is the adult humor they (kids) don't get. It's in all kinds of kids content.

And country and rap together is a thing, dude. You need to live a little, lol.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 PM   #14
Primus
Valar Morghulis

It was formulaic, but if you are any degree of a gamer or pop culture fan it's a lot of fun.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:40 AM   #15
Cranium
Reaper

I groaned inside and rolled my eyes a few times but overall enjoyed it and had a fresh feeling walking out while credits rolled. Could easily have felt more realistic with some clumsy elements taken out. Would rather have a flawed movie on these subjects than none. T.J. Miller was a highlight.
Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:55 AM   #16
Kreigmstr
Evil Dead

I enjoyed Ready Player One. But it was a significant departure from the book. After considering it though, I think the departure was necessary. I can't imagine a movie featuring extended scenes of playing Joust or Pacman would be entertaining at all.

I do feel like they fell short on developing some key parts of the story. Ogden, love interest etc. And T.J. Miller would have been better if the character was actually I-Rock from the book not a stooge for the IOI boss.

I feel like the time limits of modern movies prevented this from being as good as it could be. This probably would have been better as a NetFlix series or something. So they could invest the proper amount of time into character and story development.

While Aech didn't have an Iron Giant in the book, I thought it was mentioned as a participant during the big battle scene.

Tags
weekend boxoffice chart