Rumor - Red Dead...
Last post by Terran
Today 09:48 AM
0 Replies, 119 Views

Old 05-26-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Pure Evil - Going Solo

Back from Solo: A Star Wars story. In a word, "Meh." While the movie is a big step up from The Last Jedi, it is still mostly dull and lifeless full of average performances. I was pretty bored for most of the film, really until the last chapter you are kinda just waiting for something interesting to happen - and it never does.

Danny Glover is nothing special as Lando, he mostly sits around for the entire film with a smirk on his face like he is the only actor on the set who knows the film is crap and knows he is pulling a scam by getting a huge paycheck for sitting around with a big smirk on his face.

The movie picks up a bit in the last 20 minutes, but it just never adds up to much. If anyone has "Star Wars Fatigue" it would seem to be everyone involved in making the film, not the fans. The music was lifeless, the plot predictable and the characters mostly forgettable, except for a horrendous performance by Phoebe Waller-Bridge as the "woke" female droid. I won't forget that character, only because you had to cringe every moment it was on screen. Thankfully, her time in the film is short.

What should have been an exciting chapter in the series, showing how Han Solo completed the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, ends up being only noteworthy for being slightly less horrible than Last Jedi. That entire sequence felt forced, like they knew they had to include it as fan service, but had no clue how to make it interesting. How many times now have we seen the flying through an asteroid field? Six? Eight? It isn't that impressive any more.

Don't waste money going to see this one in a theater. It's a rental at best. I would recommend you wait till it ends up being free on Netflix.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Don't waste money going to see this one in a theater. It's a rental at best.
Star Wars just isn't special any more. It's not an 'event' because it's annual and because it has far more pop culture competition today than it ever had in the 70s and 80s.

Then you add in the diminished quality, with crappy stories and characters, and you just have an IP trying to exist on the fumes of the past and rapidly exhausting itself and its fans into disinterest.

I'll see it since I have MoviePass and it costs me no more to see it than not, but without MoviePass it would be a hard pass. And MoviePass is in its last days IMO. I doubt it makes it through the summer. I doubt it makes it through June.

Giving people more of their own money...WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS? :D
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Quote:
I would recommend you wait till it ends up being free on Netflix.
Not even that. They are locking all their properties behind a new Disney owned streaming service.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Me: Hey kids, wanna watch Star Wars?

Kids: Which one?

Me, excitedly: ANY one of them!

Kids: Nah.

Star Wars as an IP has issues.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I spent my Saturday night at Deadpool 2; and had a blast! I know Evil has a chip on his shoulder against Star Wars so I have to take the review with a grain of salt however considering Star Wars has evolved too much from what I would have liked to see I am not sure it is an IP that drags me to the theater like it used to.

It has as much draw as any other big budget Sci-fi movie these days, maybe I'll see it just because some movies should be seen on a 100 foot screen and with IMAX and ATMOS and whatever else. Others I'm just as happy watching at home.

I'm certainly done rushing to the theaters to see a "Star Wars" movie opening day, opening weekend, or even opening week. The Last Jedi saw to that. In fact it's becoming almost as bad as some of the other long in the tooth IPs like "James Bond" before the Daniel Craig years or "Harry Potter/The Potterverse". Not long till it becomes cringe worth enough to keep company with "Aliens" or "Predator" spin-offs or "Transformers".
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:14 AM   #6
BalekFekete
Claptrap Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
I spent my Saturday night at Deadpool 2; and had a blast! I know Evil has a chip on his shoulder against Star Wars so I have to take the review with a grain of salt however considering Star Wars has evolved too much from what I would have liked to see I am not sure it is an IP that drags me to the theater like it used to.
Exactly the same way I spent my Saturday for the same reason. I'm going to hold out for some other first hand feedback re: Solo, but don't have any anticipations those will pull me into the theatre to see it.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #7
walstib
Evil Dead

ďwokeĒ female droid.

that statement there is enough to keep me away from this movie, though TLJ was also enough

all i can think of when i watched TLJ was that the men are basically written as Moe Larry and Curly.

i would agree that no matter if these movies were good or not, they are far less special every year. how about give it a few years in between? oh wait. Disney.
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:38 AM   #8
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

The domestic/worldwide total box office projections are nothing less than catastrophic. Solo is turning into a John Carter level of bomb. It's looking very likely that Kathleen Kennedy will lose Disney upwards of $200 million. They need at least $500 million to break even after the enormous production costs, marketing, and however much every region grabs for itself (China is the worst). Domestic total is under $100 million for the extended opening holiday weekend and something like $60 million overseas. When all is said and done they will be lucky to pass $300 million total.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:09 AM   #9
Booda
Beam another Blast

Box Office: 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Struggling to Hit $115M in U.S., Crashes Overseas

ĎStar Warsí Writer Confirms Donald Gloverís Character Is Pansexual In ĎSoloí

Quote:
Thereís so many things to have sex with. I mean, serious. I didnít think that was that weird. Yeah, heís coming on to everybody. I mean, yeah, whatever. Heís like having like a í70s swing ó yeah. It just didnít seem that weird to me ícause I feel like if youíre in space itís kind of like, the door is open! Itís like, no only guys or girls. No, itís anything. This thing is literally a blob. Are you a man or a woman? Like, who cares? Have good time out here.
Guess this was one of those times that presenting Lando Calrissian as someone who likes to get their fuck on with a bucket of slime & be "woke" enough not to care if the slime is male or female was actually a bad idea.
Booda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Johnathan Kasdan didn’t write Solo. So, his opinion on Lando is irrelevant. Solo was re-written by Kasdan, after Disney let Phil Miller and Chris Lord go. Word is that Ron Howard basically used Miller & Lord’s script when he filmed Solo, so Kasdan going around talking about Lando’s sexuality holds no weight. He didn’t create the character or write the script. He just re-wrote a script that was already complete.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:40 AM   #11
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Johnathan Kasdan didnít write Solo. So, his opinion on Lando is irrelevant. Solo was re-written by Kasdan, after Disney let Phil Miller and Chris Lord go. Word is that Ron Howard basically used Miller & Lordís script when he filmed Solo, so Kasdan going around talking about Landoís sexuality holds no weight. He didnít create the character or write the script. He just re-wrote a script that was already complete.
Quote:
Thereís so many things to have sex with. I mean, serious. I didnít think that was that weird. Yeah, heís coming on to everybody. I mean, yeah, whatever. Heís like having like a í70s swing ó yeah. It just didnít seem that weird to me ícause I feel like if youíre in space itís kind of like, the door is open! Itís like, no only guys or girls. No, itís anything. This thing is literally a blob. Are you a man or a woman? Like, who cares? Have good time out here.
That's a quote from Donald Glover. That's how he's playing the character. Apparently he's also gay for Han.

Billy Dee Williams would be proud.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

Didn't really have an issue with the portrayal of any of the characters in this movie actually. For what its worth, I certainly enjoyed it (and had less problems with it) than Last Jedi.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Terran
Evil Dead

Disney pushing perversion? Say it ain't so! I'm...shocked! /s

Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
Exodus
Evil Dead

When they erased the han solo trilogy books I figured this is where it was heading.

The problem with starwars is the only way it evolved is to appeal to liberal ideals. Hey there's a female lead and a token black dude. But our ideas for stories is just a really shitty 80's script because writing doesn't have to be good it's starwars guys you're gonna watch it anyway cuz fuck writing something interesting right?
Old 05-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
The music was lifeless...
Absolutely not true.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #16
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booda View Post
Absolutely not true.

Ermmmm, that's NOT a SW type score. It's not a score at all.

The Prequels had better music, big time!
Old 05-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Ermmmm, that's NOT a SW type score. It's not a score at all.
It's "Kinect Star Wars." You didn't sniff out the sarcasm?

Old 05-27-2018, 12:30 PM   #18
brandonjclark
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
It's "Kinect Star Wars." You didn't sniff out the sarcasm?

See? Thats where we are right now. I actually believed that was the music for this movie FFS.

dAMMIT im DUMB!
Old 05-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Booda
Beam another Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
See? Thats where we are right now. I actually believed that was the music for this movie FFS.

dAMMIT im DUMB!
Lol. You gotta admit, it goes pretty damn good with that trailer.

This is even better.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #20
Exodus
Evil Dead

Think about it. There are kids whose starwars is the last 4 movies.

Do you know how fucking sad that is? I mean yeah rogue is the only one that's at least somewhat faithful but I mean there are kids who's starwars is 1-3, and now this.

It's stomach turning.

Tags
pure evil