2 Replies, 225 Views
Liberals gone wild
Last post by VenomUSMC
Today 06:55 AM
3,794 Replies, 661,538 Views

Old 03-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #81
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

It's in general Chimp, you obviously believe in left leaning positions in general, just admit you're a liberal and we can move on since it's pretty obvious at this point and has been for a long time.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #82
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It's in general Chimp, you obviously believe in left leaning positions in general, just admit you're a liberal and we can move on since it's pretty obvious at this point and has been for a long time.
This has fuckall to do with anything.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #83
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
That's not a denial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
I certainly went to frat parties where girls were getting roofied
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #84
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Thinking your political reasons have fuck all to the positions you support and defend.. The mind of a lefty is something to behold.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 AM   #85
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Thinking your political reasons have fuck all to the positions you support and defend.. The mind of a lefty is something to behold.
What exactly am I supporting or defending, here?

The stuff he "joked" about was awful. I don't think he should have been fired because of it, but he was and handled it about as well as anyone could hope. Disney opted to rehire him and I don't think it was some grand conspiracy. This somehow means I'm supporting leftist ideals?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #86
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Why does it have to be a "grand conspiracy" for them to say "Take a break from Guardians for a while and we''ll get you back onboard when this blows over?" Your portrayal of this as some sort of inconceivable event is puzzling.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #87
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Why does it have to be a "grand conspiracy" for them to say "Take a break from Guardians for a while and we''ll get you back onboard when this blows over?" Your portrayal of this as some sort of inconceivable event is puzzling.
I donít think that was the plan. The head of Disney was the one who brought him in and fired him. If the plan was to just let him ride it out for a few months and then swing back into the saddle, I doubt they would have set up a meeting where it is the big boss who fires you.

Plus, you saw how much the entire staff were campaigning to get him back. If the plan was to let him off with a nod and a wink and then come right back they wouldnít have risked having the entire cast walk off like they almost did.

I think itís just that it was a knee-jerk reaction in the first place and now they are looking at having their Golden Goose going over to the other studio and making a huge splash and the money they are losing is more important than the public relations.

Trust me, if Weinsteinís studios had still been cranking out hits, you wouldnít have seen a 10th of the #MeToo backlash. Most actors would have kept their mouth shut and he would still be making movies if he was making money. This is the same thing.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #88
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I think it makes less sense to be actually fired by the big boss as opposed to the boss telling him he screwed up but they'll handle it when things quiet down. It's better to have something like this be on the down low too so of course the cast wouldn't be in on the decision to do something like this quietly. And we heard that Guardians 3 was pretty much just on hold while this all happened so it's not like the actors were going to walk from an active project. And the rest of your post just adds justification for the studio never having wanted to let him go in the first place.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #89
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I think it makes less sense to be actually fired by the big boss as opposed to the boss telling him he screwed up but they'll handle it when things quiet down. It's better to have something like this be on the down low too so of course the cast wouldn't be in on the decision to do something like this quietly. And we heard that Guardians 3 was pretty much just on hold while this all happened so it's not like the actors were going to walk from an active project. And the rest of your post just adds justification for the studio never having wanted to let him go in the first place.
Again, if they had intended it to be some sort of temporary removal, they would have likely relegated him to some sort of producer role and called it good. Instead, they fired him and ultimately allowed him to sign on to direct a movie for the direct competition; it immediately turned Suicide Squad 2 into a high-profile project, all because WB/DC hired James Gunn. The project went from a sequel to a mediocre movie to something people are actually starting to pay attention to. Suicide Squad 2 will now also directly impact Disney/Marvel Studio's timeline, because they have to wait for that project to be completed before they can tackle GotG3.

If they didn't want to actually fire him, they wouldn't have fired him.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #90
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Well, since none of us know for sure, its all speculation.

However you can apply the same logic you're applying to your own argument to Chimpbot's. If we're going to take the "simplest possible explanation" route.

Whos to say for sure. I think you could argue either way that one argument is more likely than the other, though. I think it's fine Chimpbot is interpreting it the way he is, because it's at least as likely as the other scenario, in which they pulled him into a meeting to say "we're firing you, but just so you can lay low for a little while".

It's just a matter of what would be more likely i guess, if you want to take a stance or belief on it. Which clearly some people do here. My gut would tell me, as objectively as I can be, that Chimp is right. If the long term plan was to bring him back, they would have just shuffled him somewhere obscure until things blew over.

But who knows.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #91
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

I flat out stated that I don't have any sort of inside information. I'm saying that it's what I believe and my argument against Chimp is that it's not nearly as far flung as he seems to think. The fact that he's back directing AND writing for the movie that he was fired from, mere months after he was fired from it without any new information coming to light that might exonerate him or expand upon the narrative doesn't prove anything. But in my opinion, it's pretty telling.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #92
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
I flat out stated that I don't have any sort of inside information. I'm saying that it's what I believe and my argument against Chimp is that it's not nearly as far flung as he seems to think. The fact that he's back directing AND writing for the movie that he was fired from, mere months after he was fired from it without any new information coming to light that might exonerate him or expand upon the narrative doesn't prove anything. But in my opinion, it's pretty telling.
Common sense and a tiny bit of critical thought would tell you it's absolutely telling in that it's fucking obvious.
Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM   #93
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Things are doubly obvious when you're trying to fit them into an agenda. At that point, they become "crystal clear". Becomes obvious evidence, and the blindness of the rest of the world becomes frustrating. You can't believe their stupidity. They must be sheep.

Imagine if the working class told the oligarchy to build their own houses and make their own coffee...

Useless as **** on a bull.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM   #94
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Things are doubly obvious when you're trying to fit them into an agenda. At that point, they become "crystal clear". Becomes obvious evidence, and the blindness of the rest of the world becomes frustrating. You can't believe their stupidity. They must be sheep.
This entire saga was agenda driven on both sides. To deny this is to deny reality.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM   #95
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Again, if they had intended it to be some sort of temporary removal, they would have likely relegated him to some sort of producer role and called it good. Instead, they fired him and ultimately allowed him to sign on to direct a movie for the direct competition; it immediately turned Suicide Squad 2 into a high-profile project, all because WB/DC hired James Gunn. The project went from a sequel to a mediocre movie to something people are actually starting to pay attention to. Suicide Squad 2 will now also directly impact Disney/Marvel Studio's timeline, because they have to wait for that project to be completed before they can tackle GotG3.

If they didn't want to actually fire him, they wouldn't have fired him.
Exactly. I think it is more about seeing him go on to continue to make stuff that makes money for OTHER people instead of Disney that got him brought back on. He has Brightburn coming up (as producer with his family doing writing & directing) and it was sounding like he was going to turn The Suicide Squad into a success ó first by cutting out all the dead wood like Will Smith that made the first movie crap ó and I doubt Disney wants to see Warner Bros start turning the DC movies into a big success. Right now the Warner stuff is so hit-and-miss that Disney probably doesnít feel any impact. You start bringing in new writers and directors like Gunn and that could change almost overnight.

Overall, I think DC has always had characters with more depth. Marvel has all the ďfunĒ characters, but they are all pretty shallow. DC has the characters for adults and adults is really where the money is.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM   #96
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
DC has the characters for adults and adults is really where the money is.
You're kidding here I assume. Families are where the money is at. If adults were where the money is at, we would see a much different style of movies released today.
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #97
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
You're kidding here I assume. Families are where the money is at. If adults were where the money is at, we would see a much different style of movies released today.
Technically, teens is where the money is at. They are the ones with all the free cash lying around, but I was thinking itís the adult collector who spends the big bucks on shirts, toys, posters, comics, etc.

That is why we get so many crappy PG-13 movies, because no one in Hollywood wants to cut out that big 12 - 18 market.

But, itís the 18 - 24 year olds who really have the cash. They live at home and mostly work full time, which is why I said ďadultsĒ, but I donít mean old guys like me.