Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,591 Views

Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #21
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Meanwhile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Also for fuck's sake, Sony and Microsoft, JOIN FORCES already. Let Sony do the hardware and Microsoft do the networking.
One company is nearly bankrupt and the other has been getting cold feet about their future in console hardware. Sounds like a perfect match.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #22
LostToys
Evil Dead

Everything finally kicked in on PSN just a couple of minutes ago for me.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:33 AM   #23
Suicidal ShiZuru
Mutual Hatred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluvious View Post
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...able-log-back/

FOUND A FIX !!!

Worked for me.. able to see Xur just before he leaves. Good upgrades you dont want to miss
Xur will be around until 10pm PST Monday due to the downtime.

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/87590434

I was able to play last night before I went to sleep but the two ROC Strikes I went through seemed extremely laggy...
Old 12-28-2014, 07:53 AM   #24
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Any network can be a target of a DDoS attack, fool. The bastard hackers just pick video game networks, Xbox Live INCLUDED genius, because they are easy targets. The video game networks are like homeless people, but the banking networks, as an example, are like the 1%. No one gives a shit if the first get murdered, but its headline news and FBI investigations if the latter get murdered. Not rocket science, you dope.
And any large company can have network infrastructure in place to either avoid being affect by said attacks or at the least minimize the downtime. Sony, after multiple hacks and DDOS attacks still hasn't figure this one out. There's a reason Live was down for only hours and there's a reason Steam doesn't go down. It's called knowing what the fuck you're doing when it comes to infrastructure. Sony? No fucking clue and it's obvious.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:41 AM   #25
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PSN is back up and running well now. I'm downloading Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition, which is on sale today for $45.49.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
PSN is back up and running well now. I'm downloading Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition, which is on sale today for $45.49.
I ended up getting this on Origin instead since I didn't know when PSN was coming back up.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #27
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
I ended up getting this on Origin instead since I didn't know when PSN was coming back up.
I'll wait for the $20 GOTY edition. I hate the way they try to scam you out of another $60 in DLC.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #28
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellstorm View Post
One company is nearly bankrupt and the other has been getting cold feet about their future in console hardware. Sounds like a perfect match.
Except that the only part of Sony that is making money is the console division. The PlayStation isn't hurting them, it's the only part of their business that is keeping them alive.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:58 AM   #29
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
Better infrastructure can diminish the problem and speed up recovery time. This is probably the reason MS is down for minutes to hours and Sony is down for hours to days.

Sony should be compensating for PSN outages this month. I have had at least 8 days (including schedules maintenance) in December with no access. I actually returned Far Cry 4 for PS4 today and exchanged for Xbox One so I can actually play it.
Better infrastructure costs money and it isn't always necessary. As the network was coming back up from the DDOS attack, it was still being flooded with people attempting to log in with their new consoles or play their new games. The only surefire way to "prepare" for events like this is to expand the number of servers, many of which would quickly become unused as the volume inevitably drops to nominal levels.

Sony's woes over the past few days were absolutely no different from what Blizzard went through with the Warlords of Draenor launch; an extremely high influx of users coupled with a DDOS attack brought their network to it's knees for a couple days. Sure, installing more servers would have helped alleviate the problem...but they would essentially be wasting money on hardware they simply wouldn't need in a week or two, if that.

As with Blizzard, Sony's issues cleared up within a couple days and all will be forgotten within a day or two. The real issue isn't with Sony, folks. It's with the fuckwits who think it's fun to torment thousands, if not millions, of people simply because they can. I'd be hesitant to such acts terrorism, but I do think these kids need to serve a good year or two in a federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison simply for fucking with thousands of people at a time.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #30
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PSN Status: Intermittent Connectivity

https://support.us.playstation.com/a...tail/a_id/5417
Old 12-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #31
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Better infrastructure costs money and it isn't always necessary. As the network was coming back up from the DDOS attack, it was still being flooded with people attempting to log in with their new consoles or play their new games. The only surefire way to "prepare" for events like this is to expand the number of servers, many of which would quickly become unused as the volume inevitably drops to nominal levels.

Sony's woes over the past few days were absolutely no different from what Blizzard went through with the Warlords of Draenor launch; an extremely high influx of users coupled with a DDOS attack brought their network to it's knees for a couple days. Sure, installing more servers would have helped alleviate the problem...but they would essentially be wasting money on hardware they simply wouldn't need in a week or two, if that.
That's not good enough when you're operating a paid service used for games, movies, music and TV. You need to invest in infrastructure or people will take their business elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #32
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
That's not good enough when you're operating a paid service used for games, movies, music and TV. You need to invest in infrastructure or people will take their business elsewhere.
Also, when you have a direct competitor that offers a pretty similar service that experiences a near identical attack during the exact same high volume time of the year that recovers in hours when it takes you days... It's not good enough.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #33
Hellstorm
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Except that the only part of Sony that is making money is the console division. The PlayStation isn't hurting them, it's the only part of their business that is keeping them alive.
Yeah, but the profit from the Playstation division is so small it can't keep Sony Corp alive. It barely keeps Playstation alive. But you can relax. The Japanese government will step in like ours did with GM.
Member of the Nintendo Offensive Front
Hellstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #34
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Personally, it's unreasonable to ask any company to invest in excessive infrastructure to protect against the off-chance of a DDOS attack or the all-too-brief surges in activity they would see over the course of a day or two during the holiday season, a new expansion release or whatever example is pertinent to a particular business model.

Is it frustrating to have outages when I want to be using an online service? Yes, especially if it's being caused by dickweeds looking to simply screw with people. It's equally frustrating when I can't use a service because there are simply too many people attempting to access it at the same time.
Of course, it's just as frustrating when someone crashes into a telephone pole and knocks out power/cable/internet service, or a thunderstorm rolls in and disrupts satellite service.

Outages occur and they suck. As a reasonable, informed human being, I also understand that they're sometimes inevitable and any solutions that would be available to technically prevent or alleviate the situation aren't actually necessary most of the time and are rarely financially or infrastructurally feasible.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #35
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Personally, it's unreasonable to ask any company to invest in excessive infrastructure to protect against the off-chance of a DDOS attack or the all-too-brief surges in activity they would see over the course of a day or two during the holiday season, a new expansion release or whatever example is pertinent to a particular business model.
It is if they have decided to take on-line hosting away from players so they can do it themselves for a "better experience". We didn't ask for this Sony-only setup that they don't want to invest in excessive infrastructure in. They forced it on us so they could make more money.

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable at all.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #36
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #37
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Is it off chance at this point? And the holiday surge is, at this point, a predictable occurrence. You think it's unreasonable to expect a company to protect itself from outside attacks or be prepared for increased traffic? Pfft....

That's like saying you think it's unreasonable for a company to lock it's doors at night or haven enough cash registers to ring people out when they know they will be busy.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:55 PM   #38
PSPfreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
It is if they have decided to take on-line hosting away from players so they can do it themselves for a "better experience". We didn't ask for this Sony-only setup that they don't want to invest in excessive infrastructure in. They forced it on us so they could make more money.

So no, I don't think it's unreasonable at all.
There's no such thing as, "unreasonable" when it comes to making sure people's personal info is protected. Although, granted, it's almost impossible to do these days, if ever. If a human can make it, a human can hack it.
PSPfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:44 AM   #39
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPfreak View Post
There's no such thing as, "unreasonable" when it comes to making sure people's personal info is protected.
Actually, there is. There is always a cost analysis involved in any kind of 'insurance' against negative events. The trick is to get the right balance between the cost and the benefit. A company cannot outspend its resources to protect against negative events when those negative events would actually be less costly than the protection.

The trick is to get the balance right, to spend enough to mitigate negative events (like hacks, credit card fraud) but not to overspend the potential loss from those events.

Personally, I think companies go too far in the direction of underspending on these issues. They are leaky sieves when it comes to information and technology.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 AM   #40
Terran
Evil Dead

Haven't had enough coffee today...repeating myself a bit up there.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
playstation network, psn, sony