Post something good you...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,617 Views

Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

TRON Reboot heading back to the Game Grid

The Hollywood Reporter has news that the TRON Reboot is heading back into development, with Joker actor Jared Leto set to star. The TRON reboot was canceled after George Clooney's Tomorrowland crashed and burned at the box office and Disney acquired the Star Wars property from creator George Lucas.

Quote:
Disney is planning to get back on the grid.

The studio is in the very early stages of development for a new Tron movie, with Oscar-winning actor Jared Leto circling to star, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

No writer has been hired at this exploratory stage, and no filmmaker is involved. Justin Springer, who co-produced Tron: Legacy and executive produced the Tom Cruise sci-fi movie Oblivion, will produce. Leto and his producing partner, Emma Ludbrook, would also be involved in some producing capacity if the project moves forward.

Tron was a 1982 Disney movie set in the fantastic world inside a computer program, a cyberspace called the Grid. Starring Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner, the film wasn’t a hit at the time but was influential with its envelope-pushing special effects. It drew a cult following in the years after its release, due to its imaginative story.

In 2010, Disney revisited the world with Tron: Legacy, which starred Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde and brought back Bridges. Joseph Kosinski directed. The expensive movie made $400 million worldwide — good enough to warrant interest in a sequel.

But it’s been a series of shutdowns and restarts for a sequel, and just as it seemed it was heading toward preproduction, the studio pulled the plug for good in 2015.

But computer programs never die, it seems, they just get upgrades.

Sources say this new project is not a direct sequel and is being built out of the source code of the deleted Tron 3 script. Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared onscreen before, but was a key player in that script.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:50 AM   #2
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

Other than the creepy/fake looking young Jeff Bridges, I though Tron Legacy was kinda cool.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Jesus View Post
Other than the creepy/fake looking young Jeff Bridges, I though Tron Legacy was kinda cool.
I thought the plastic Jeff Bridges was pretty bad, but you can say it should look like a computer program and totally justify it. Heh.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

The manscaping around Jared Lito's eyes makes him look like 'the bearded woman'.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #5
RevXwise
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emabulator View Post
The manscaping around Jared Lito's eyes makes him look like 'the bearded woman'.
I thought something looked off. He looks half child/half adult or something. He has half crow's feet and no creases leading from his eyes or anything around his nose. I don't know enough about wrinkling or aging shit to really comment, but there's a definite uncanny-valley effect going on.
RevXwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Capt_Thad
Evil Dead

I'm all for more TRON. Dunno how I feel about a reboot vs. getting Tron 3, especially since it sounds like they're still using concepts from the Tron 3 script. Wonder if they'll still find a way to include Quorra.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Anenome
Autarchist

I would like to see Leto do more stuff.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I think the problem with TRON: Legacy is they went too far away from what made the original good. The "cutting edge" visuals and the story about the computers being the monsters. Plus I think the cast was pretty much shit across the board. Jeff Bridges was OK but CGI Bridges, not so much. I can't even remember the kids name and Olivia Wilde was just cast because she was the next new hottie at the time. Then they had to ugly her up with that awful hairstyle.

The computer agenda was so... whatever it didn't seem like something a program would care about. Basically it came down to killing Flynn at all costs. It replaced the MCP with a different, more ambitious, but lesser talented and controlled tyrant of the MCP instead of a BETTER more advanced version of the MCP which considering what it had learned at the hand of Flynn should have been much more godlike than the crummy v1 MCP before it.

They replaced a world of logic and programs with stupid and emotion in a world which is still dictated by 1s and 0s tied together with the thinnest plot points and some heavy Yoda level hash baked Jeff Bridges.

Evil Flynn was an idiot and should have easily been overthrown by mo' smarter programs which would have evolved over the "centuries" in Grid time.

Here's hoping they can get back to the impersonal computer villains, which are in a way more scary than those which have reason and emotion behind their actions, a few anomalous good guys as programs and interlopers, and cool special effects which are still as unique today as they were in the 80s. Much copied but never replicated.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tron