Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 06:22 PM
4 Replies, 230 Views

Old 03-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #101
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Horses aren't the only thing you can ride either.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:39 PM   #102
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
And you're an authoritarian douchebag liar who thinks ancap/libertarianism means "MY WAY" and thinks force is perfectly acceptable if it's "YOUR WAY."

Seriously, you're a gigantic lying douchenozzle perv. Screw off to another part of the ocean.
Hurr durr!
Old 03-05-2017, 06:13 AM   #103
Chief Smash
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I tell him not to roll in the mud with the pigs. Go play your game and enjoy your evening!
You hold grudges like an old lady.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #104
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

This game is pretty incredible. The reviews were not hyperbole. So much to talk about that I almost want to write up a review. I tried to be as critical as I could, and the game does have some minor flaws. The framerate can dip from time to time, but its not disruptive or annoying. It's just a thing that is there, that happens once in a while. It's not so glaring that it disrupts the game. It's too bad its there at all, because it existing means it has to be talked about, and it sounds worse than it is. It's really not nearly as bad or disruptive as i was expecting, but is a thing, and does happen from time to time. That might be the only negative I encountered playing all night.

The greatest surprise to me was that my #1 fear about the game did not come true. When you see the hyrule plains in a screenshot or brief video, you think "well the game looks kind of sparse". I worried the game would be sparse and lifeless. It is very much not. Not only are there creatures of all kinds all around (most of which you can kill for indigence to cook a dish over a fire) but theres so much jammed into this game, its incredible. You get sidetracked from the story, only to get sidetracked from the sidetrack, to get sidetracked from the sidetrack of the sidetrack. But not in a bad way with lame fetch quests and boring collectathons. With exploration and puzzle solving that leads to rewards. Whether in a shrine (think of a shrine as almost like a room in Portal minus the portals and + more physics based puzzles). They take anywhere from 3-4 minutes to 15+ minutes to complete and are a blast, especially when you get past the starting ones and into the more challenging ones. There are things hidden away in every corner of the world, that if you use your tools at your disposal, you just may find a way to get to. Then the survival element has you exploring all the time. At one point i was low on life and had no real (just a few mushrooms) food, but i had flint and wood. I found a small pond with some fish in it, rolled a bomb in, and detonated it. The fish floated to the surface, i grabbed them, built a fire with the wood and flint, then a used a torch to set the wood under a cooking pot on fire, and cooked up the fish, throwing in some rock salt and mushrooms with it to make a dish. The environment and mobs present a pretty constant challenge, but allows you to think ahead, plan, and instead of going in hack and slash, you can mitigate your death chances by using the environment and your tools in clever ways. Another cool surprise that was very "un-zelda" is the armor. Not only does it change your appearance, but they do different things like grant bonuses to sneak or stamina. And they're upgradable, and even have set bonuses. Of course, that's not breaking new ground by any means, but its a nice addition to a game that in a lot of other ways does break new ground.

Anyway, I could go on and on but this game is pretty damn brilliant, even as I look at it as critically as i possibly can. Its immersive, full of puzzle solving, exploration, and filled entirely with fun things to do. Things that are more rich and rewarding than most open world stuff. Everywhere I go theres some hidden thing tucked away somewhere, waiting for me to figure out how to get to it.

So far, it lives up to and exceeds the hype. Even traditionally non-zelda fans would be hard pressed not to be having an absolute blast with this game. In a lot of ways it IS very non-traditional zelda. It's a bit darker, more challenging, more survivally, and laden with strategy and puzzle. I really like the way that they baked puzzle solving into the giant world itself. The environment of the world presents puzzles all the time. From needing to chop a tree down and push the log into the water to ride to an area you couldnt get to, to more complex puzzles to solve in the overworld that require environment manipulation. That's something most open world games don't have.

I will probably be playing or thinking about playing this game for at the very least the next month. Objectively and sincerely - its a game not to be missed by anyone who enjoys an incredibly rich and rewarding adventure game. This is not Zelda as you know it, and is shaping up to be the best Zelda game ever made.

Last edited by PatrickRes9; 03-05-2017 at 08:57 AM..
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #105
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Great write-up man! Thanks. I am leaning toward picking up a Switch for my Daughter in a few weeks (or whenever they start to re-stock) and it is good to know there will be one cool game for her to play that isn't just some kind of a mini-game in disguise.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #106
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
The framerate can dip from time to time, but its not disruptive or annoying
I thought so too until I found the great fairy, it's very annoying there but it's also not a challenging area, you're just picking flowers and talking to the fairy so it's not disruptive to the gameplay just the player.

Quote:
but i had flint and wood
can not for the life of me light a campfire. I can light the grass on fire, weapons, enemies, etc but flint will not light campfires, it's a lie lol

Quote:
very "un-zelda" is the armor. Not only does it change your appearance, but they do different things like grant bonuses to sneak or stamina. And they're upgradable, and even have set bonuses.
my memory has always been shit, but I remember past armor that could be upgraded, changed your appearance, and had special properties or boosts. I don't think it's all that new. The way it's used is though. In the past they've been pieces to a puzzle. You needed this special armor to complete a dungeon or something. In this game the armor can help you everywhere. And I do like all the new styles and the fact you can dye it a bunch of different colors. The armor is fantastic in this game, I'm very happy with it so far.

My biggest issue with the game right now is the horse... it's never there when you want it and as far as I know there's no way of getting it in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully I'm really enjoying just walking around but sometimes it would be nice to magically call the horse.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:58 AM   #107
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:

can not for the life of me light a campfire. I can light the grass on fire, weapons, enemies, etc but flint will not light campfires, it's a lie lol
http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5363-...uses-explained

Not a lie. You can use flint to light to light a campfire.

"First up, you don't necessarily need a cooking pot to cook. All you need is some wood and a piece of flint. To make yourself your own personal campfire, drop wood on the ground and then drop flint on top of it. Hit the pair with a metal weapon such as a sword and the flint will spark and set the wood alight."

Quote:
my memory has always been shit, but I remember past armor that could be upgraded, changed your appearance, and had special properties or boosts. I don't think it's all that new. The way it's used is though. In the past they've been pieces to a puzzle. You needed this special armor to complete a dungeon or something. In this game the armor can help you everywhere. And I do like all the new styles and the fact you can dye it a bunch of different colors. The armor is fantastic in this game, I'm very happy with it so far.
They didnt really have boosts in stats like defense, sneak, or stamina or anything. Take Ocarina for example. It was just ...the red tunic protected you from fire type a thing. Its more expansive than that. And you never could use components to upgrade the armor values. That is new to Zelda. Unless they did this in Skyward Sword. I never finished that game.

Quote:
My biggest issue with the game right now is the horse... it's never there when you want it and as far as I know there's no way of getting it in the middle of nowhere. Thankfully I'm really enjoying just walking around but sometimes it would be nice to magically call the horse.
Yah, it has to be in earshot of your whistle to it. If you stable it, you'll find it at any other stable. You can whistle to call it in earshot, but if you neglected it to go wandering, you can lose track of it.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #108
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
You hold grudges like an old lady.
That's not a grudge, dude, that's a reminder of your excellent advice that you were ignoring at that moment.

And if I want to identify as an old lady, a young man, or some combination thereof, don't be a hater; progressivism says I can be anything I want to be at any time I want to be it.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM   #109
Zeal Returns
Peon

I think this game would probably be a lot better if it had master chief in it.
Zeal Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #110
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeal Returns View Post
I think this game would probably be a lot better if it had master chief in it.
Agreed. Or Jeeps or attack helicopters or aliens or something.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:18 AM   #111
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
Agreed. Or Jeeps or attack helicopters or aliens or something.
Yeah, this Zelda game would be so much better if it was just Call of Duty. With Master Chief.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #112
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

It'd be better if the graphics weren't ass.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #113
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
It'd be better if the graphics weren't ass.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #114
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Hey if your standards are that low in 2017, good for you. I'd almost be willing to give the game a chance with all the positive impressions if visually it didn't give me a headache seeing it in motion. There's only a couple of games that have ever done that to me.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #115
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
Hey if your standards are that low in 2017, good for you. I'd almost be willing to give the game a chance with all the positive impressions if visually it didn't give me a headache seeing it in motion. There's only a couple of games that have ever done that to me.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #116
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
http://www.rpgsite.net/feature/5363-...uses-explained

Not a lie. You can use flint to light to light a campfire.

"First up, you don't necessarily need a cooking pot to cook. All you need is some wood and a piece of flint. To make yourself your own personal campfire, drop wood on the ground and then drop flint on top of it. Hit the pair with a metal weapon such as a sword and the flint will spark and set the wood alight."
yeah I know how it's supposed to go, the game does a good job of describing it, yet I've never had it work. been through a dozen flint, not a single fire, it's a lie.
Quote:
They didnt really have boosts in stats like defense, sneak, or stamina or anything. Take Ocarina for example. It was just ...the red tunic protected you from fire type a thing. Its more expansive than that. And you never could use components to upgrade the armor values. That is new to Zelda. Unless they did this in Skyward Sword. I never finished that game.
yeah fire resistance, that's a boost and what I meant. it is different now because it has stuff that helps all the time not just with one puzzle. I feel like I'm repeating myself, perhaps I just wasn't clear enough. As for upgrades I was thinking of the weapon upgrades. I know you can upgrade weapons in previous zeldas and I thought there was armor too but perhaps not.

Quote:
Yah, it has to be in earshot of your whistle to it. If you stable it, you'll find it at any other stable. You can whistle to call it in earshot, but if you neglected it to go wandering, you can lose track of it.
yeah, not a fan of that at all, it really makes the horse pretty useless for adventuring, only good when you have a set destination that's not too far from a stable... which doesn't seem to happen often. It's generally easier to finf whatever horse sized animal happens to be around and bareback that instead of dealing with your own horse.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #117
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Old 03-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #118
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Old 03-05-2017, 05:24 PM   #119
shadow763
Lord of Woe

I would agree it is a good Zelda game so far. Best ever? Too early to tell on that. All I kept thinking was this game would benefit from being on a more powerful system. The draw distance is rough, the jaggies and lack of shit in the environment is a bummer. Right in front of your face is fine, that looks decent, but damn go any further.

The lighting at times can be quite impressive. Gameplay is good. Wish you could remap your controller moreso. It just seems odd. So far the overall environment design has been good. They put enough out there that is intriguing enough to want to go investigate.

Frames shit all over the place in towns. My god.

We shall see how well the open world seems intriguing. I have started to get a bit bored by the enemies in the initial areas, and the stamina is super stingy which is a bummer. The shrines are short and interesting so far.

Naming this best game ever seems crazy.

Going from Horizon directly to this, I just wish this was on a PS4 to see their visual style actually truly be utilized well. This game in a remaster in about 10 years will be pretty sweet to see. Currently the hardware shortcomings are just distracting. I am trying to figure out how the hardware choices of Nintendo at this point make for better gaming experiences since apparently that is their reason for what they do.

I did like the stark as fuck white on black intro to the game. Just stark. Also lacking much in the way of direction is great.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #120
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
All I kept thinking was this game would benefit from being on a more powerful system. The draw distance is rough, the jaggies and lack of shit in the environment is a bummer. Right in front of your face is fine, that looks decent, but damn go any further.
One of the things I noticed from the gameplay videos I watched was how different the visuals looked in enclosed, smaller spaces (great, colorful, sharp) and in larger environments, washed out, empty, jaggy). I've also noticed the environment doesn't exactly seem populated very much...a bit empty.

I'm glad to hear it's a blast, but I agree from my limited observations that the game looks like it is hampered by the hardware's limitations.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breath of the wild, nintendo, zelda