Last post by RocketMagnet
Yesterday 10:19 AM
15 Replies, 781 Views

Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
And let's be fair, there was very very very little creativity in Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
I agree. I enjoyed the first one far more than the second.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:22 PM   #22
Terran
Evil Dead

GotG2 wasn't nearly as spontaneous as the first, and the acting at times even felt stilted and unnatural. It wasn't great. It was serviceable.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #23
vivafletcher
Evil Dead

There's definitely a sense of overkill for me. Everybody is in everybody's movie. It's all part of some big master plan (cash grab).
I used to be a Day One movie-goer for these franchises. Then I'd get there in the first couple of weeks. Then I'd get there eventually.
Today, I still haven't seen Guardians 2. I'm glad people are still into them, but there's a definite Law of Diminishing Returns at work for me.
vivafletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #24
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
However, I also think picking a well-known character would be a poor start to someone looking to really try largely different take because it seems there is generally a certain expectation that those characters are bound by certain aspects that often get the movie hammered for straying from.
I think it depends on the property. Something like a book, graphic novel, or other singular source, there has to be some adherence to the source material (you can still argue that a good interpretation is still better than the original, sorta like how I think Blade Runner as a film worked better than the novel). For something that is based on comic books, there have been so many different writers, artists and interpretations of the characters, so a film isn't necessarily tied down to a specific interpretation of the character. For me, I absolutely love the Bruce Timm versions of Batman/Superman and the Tim Burton Batman and Batman Return films.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:11 AM   #25
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

While I think GoG2 ranks pretty high in the list of MCU movies I'll agree it didn't touch the first. They tried too hard which ruined a lot of moments but the great moments it had were very, very good. I admit to some fatigue myself with MCU. They've become very formulaic even for my tastes.

I hope Spiderman mixes it up as much as Guardians did. He's a fresh face to attach to and bring in new things to the MCU which didn't happen as I'd hoped from Dr. Strange. They aren't taking risks like they did earlier because they don't want to fuck up the 15 year plan or whatever.

Unfortunately Logan and Deadpool aren't really ever going to be part of MCU because those were a breath of fresh air into the staleness that is the modern PG comic book movie. Logan had me blubbering and Deadpool had me busting a gut. Both had me buying the blu-ray day one so I could watch them again. I haven't picked up the recent MCU movies.

Two things stopped me from collecting comics.
1) Not enough money and the prices went up and up and up through the 80s.

2) All the intertwining plots. I think someone mentioned a recent plot line required buying 60+ books across 10 or more franchise to get the whole story. We're talking close to $300. That's not easy to come by for a kid who makes their cash mowing lawns in the summer. It wasn't nearly as bad when I was a kid but it was too rich for my blood even back in the day.

Unfortunately all Marvel/Disney seems to care about is that SOMEONE was willing to pay $300 for those books and if it worked for the comics let's do it for the movies and TV too! But I'm about ready to see my last MCU movie in the theater next week unless something changes.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 AM   #26
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMurdock_0311 View Post
I share your sentiments; I'm growing very bored with the MCU. They're too cookie-cutter at this point, and don't really offer anything new and interesting (aside from Guardians of the Galaxy).
I can slightly understand your sentiment. But I would ask the question, "whats' the alternative?"

The Marvel film are, at their core, "action movies". The alternative to what they are doing isn't The Matrix, which is once in a generation film. It was usually some generic cop action film. So, yeah, I'm WAYYY more invested in even the most bland Marvel films than I am in "He killed my partner! So now I'm going to kill HIM."
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marvel, spider-man