10 Replies, 423 Views
Weekend Couch Potato -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 06:22 PM
4 Replies, 223 Views

Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

New Xbox One Update Removes Kinect Gesture Support for Dashboard Navigation #XboxOne

Dashboard! Kinect! Dashboard! Kinect! Dashboard! Kinect! GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
The upcoming New Xbox One Experience update completely removes support for gesture-based dashboard navigation through Kinect. Microsoft's Mike Ybarra says in a new interview that the company decided to cut the feature because people barely used it at all.

"On gestures, when we looked at the New Xbox One Experience, we wanted to prioritize features that customers were asking for, plus areas of improvement from the existing Xbox One UI," Ybarra told WindowsCentral. "Then, we wanted to look at the use-case model of features that take a lot of investment and say, 'Is it worth continuing to invest in that area?'"

Gesture support through Kinect could return through a future update if enough fans call for it, but Ybarra made no promises.

"With gestures, the reality was the usage was very, very low," he said. "So for now, we've cut that from the New Xbox One Experience. So when we launch, they won't be in the product. We'll continue to monitor and listen to feedback to see if people want them in."
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Well, it might actually save on processing and memory overhead if they can kill a process or two. Remember when a Kinect 2.0 was essential?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
Rommel
International Playboy

It better benefit performance. If it does not increase performance, why bother removing a feature? Who cares if no one uses it if it's already a drink cost and effort? Instead they seem to have focused cost and effort to patch it out.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

Too bad they can't time travel and cut Kinect entirely. What a waste...

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #5
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
It better benefit performance. If it does not increase performance, why bother removing a feature?
Support. If you can remove a feature you remove dev, integration and support costs.
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:54 PM   #6
MultiTasker
Dread Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
Support. If you can remove a feature you remove dev, integration and support costs.
This. Any changes to the UI and the gestures would have to be tested and possibly modified.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #7
Primus
Valar Morghulis

While I feel the Kinect is a must own if you have a legit home theater setup, the gesture feature was completely useless.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
wildcard
Soul Reaper

Id have to say it most likely a good move. Put that money to improve on voice commands. I think I use voice commands almost every time I use my xbox. It would feel weird not to use it, almost like only having a 1 button mouse.
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
While I feel the Kinect is a must own if you have a legit home theater setup, the gesture feature was completely useless.
Why? I have a legit home theater setup. It's useless except for quick DLC code scanning.

In fact the whole TV TV TV bullshit doesn't even work in a real home theater. My DVR and many others throw up rights errors and won't work if you have a receiver between your Xbox One and your TV. Talk about epic fail.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
Noiz
Subscriber

Good! My 2 year old's random arm flailing is forever getting picked up as gestures! Really, really looking forward to this update.
Noiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:42 AM   #11
Primus
Valar Morghulis

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
Why? I have a legit home theater setup. It's useless except for quick DLC code scanning.

In fact the whole TV TV TV bullshit doesn't even work in a real home theater. My DVR and many others throw up rights errors and won't work if you have a receiver between your Xbox One and your TV. Talk about epic fail.
My receiver works fine It is fully voice controlled at this point, along with everything else hooked up to it. The device has been a boon to my mancave and a bunch of my friends who picked one up after they saw my setup.

PSN: SUPERxJUMPS
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 05:53 AM   #12
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

I have my X1 controlling my Denon receiver, TV and DirecTV box. It is great. No issues.

Full Windows Central Interview: http://www.windowscentral.com/exclus...ad-mike-ybarra

A lot of good platform talk -- Windows 10, Xbox Platform, etc... not a ton of actual gaming talk.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:24 AM   #13
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I'm pretty sure they cut this feature due to some specific gestures people were making at the XBone.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post

Sorry to hear your legit theater doesn't work with the XB1 integration. If you can get it working, it's really nice.

Everyone bitches about the focus they put on TV, and rightfully so. But honestly, I consume a lot of TV and movies. I go weeks without gaming and the XB1 is the center of all of that.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
Sinistar
Subscriber

So, what about that small group of people who needed to use this for accessibility reasons?
Sinistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #16
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
So, what about that small group of people who needed to use this for accessibility reasons?
Well fuck those guys, obviously.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Venkman
Evil Dead

Quote:
Voice control is significantly better than the slow, awkward gestures.

If one can't speak, those users can use a remote or controller.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:13 AM   #18
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
The gestures were terrible.

The X1 dashboard supports -- keyboard, remote control, voice and gamepad navigation. Starting with NXE it has improved keyboard support, high contrast, magnifier and narrator support.

I would suspect the X1 probably leads in accessibility. I also can't really think of a situation where the gestures would have worked well for someone who couldn't use voice, remote or controller.

Yes I understand there are people without hands, etc... Sadly most of the gestures required hands (open close, push, etc...)
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #19
RocketMagnet
Evil Dead

None of the main console manufacturers give a toss about disabled people as they simply don't represent a big enough $ sign.

It's only pretty recently that both the main players even allowed users to redefine the button FFS which from an accessibility point of view is pretty much the easiest and most basic thing you can do to help people.

Yep they don't care unless it makes them money or helps them cut costs (same thing really).. which is presumably the reason for them dropping it.
RocketMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #20
Blackwing
Slacker

So how many gigs of resources does this free up
Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kinect, microsoft, xbone, xbox one