Sega's BIG Announcement...
Last post by Aerol901
Today 07:05 AM
24 Replies, 882 Views

Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Liquidize105
Evil Dead

Into the Rain - Tribute to StarCraft

StarCraft is a name that is synonymous with excellence, quality, a "good game," best RTS ever made, the standard with which other hopefuls are measured - take your pick of the blanket words. They all say the same thing.

That is, StarCraft made the seemly impossible, possible. A whole expansion pack, two beta tests, and a series of patches were devoted to balancing out the three sides. Consequently it's the closest thing to a perfectly balanced real-time strategy game. StarCraft is 99% balanced.

But that's not its only accomplishment. It is one of the first, and the best example of a game driven by an enjoyable storyline as well as a cast of compelling personalities. The game tells a human interest story - a story of love, betrayal, loyalty, perseverance, even self-sacrifice. The range of emotional spectrum is uncharacteristically broad for a RTS game then, and of any games released today.

The third and the final ingredient to StarCraft's breakaway success is the prepackaged commercial-grade map editor: StarEdit. Oh the ease with which to completely redefine the baseline gameplay! Imagine playing real chess in StarCraft. Chess! The longevity of SC (going 9 years now) is entirely through the use of StarEdit. On the singleplayer side, story-based campaigns many times Blizzard's better (I do not exaggerate) were being released at a steady pace. This "custom campaign" community is where I hail from. Regrettably, Blizzard as a company never officially embraced the work of the community. In fact, Blizzard frowned upon the community's use of the word "campaign" to address a series of "interlinked singleplayer missions." Anyway, that's a story for another time.

Getting to the subject, I re-discovered a nice surprise recently. It's something that I made long ago for my personal enjoyment. I still remember when Deception was released back in 2000 as one of Blizzard's "Map of the Month". I loved the crisp trigger work, innovative use of in-game effects, and the custom scoring system. It's the only singleplayer mission to emphasize stealth above all else. The featured story is completely self-contained and canonical. Since then I've enhanced the map in the one area that was lacking: atmosphere. It now boasts a mini soundtrack of its own.

I present to you my tribute to a phenomenal game - Deception: Special Edition (StarCraft and BroodWar required). Try it today! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did so many years ago.

-Liquidize105
Happy New Year Face (@ ^^ @)

Deception:SE Download
Deception:SE Mirror
StarCraft Chess Download for the curious!
Liquidize105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
alleycatsphinx
Dread Lord

What's a commercial grade map editor? Is that like 3dstudio, which crashes consistently whenever I close it? (and inconsistently at random intervals)

Cool deal dude, SC is epic (and still installed). I'll check this out when I get home.
alleycatsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #3
Liquidize105
Evil Dead

An editor you can use to make maps that are commercial grade. Before StarCraft, WarCraft 2 only had a terrain editor.
• Thief Series With Randy Smith: 1/2, 2/2
Old 01-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
BlackPete
Bought & Paid For

Another Starcraft accomplishment that I admired was that they managed to make it balanced using three completely different races.

WC2 was an excellent game, although it's been criticized for keeping the Orcs and Humans too much the same. In Starcraft, each race had its own distinctive flavour.

Since then, very few games has been able to accomplish the same feat.
BlackPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Captain Awesome
When will then be now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPete
Another Starcraft accomplishment that I admired was that they managed to make it balanced using three completely different races.

WC2 was an excellent game, although it's been criticized for keeping the Orcs and Humans too much the same. In Starcraft, each race had its own distinctive flavour.

Since then, very few games has been able to accomplish the same feat.
Didn't it also take Blizzard years after its release to get it to its current balanced state? While I love SC. It takes Blizzard quite a long while to seat their own games in terms of balancing.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Phanto
M cago en tu madre y que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome
Didn't it also take Blizzard years after its release to get it to its current balanced state? While I love SC. It takes Blizzard quite a long while to seat their own games in terms of balancing.
Thats true for every single franchise they have released.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM   #7
BlackPete
Bought & Paid For

Quote:
It came pretty close to being balanced at the time it shipped, so there were no obvious exploits. It wasn't until people started crunching numbers before "flaws" and weak spots showed themselves that balance issues really started cropping up.

It was still good enough that you could win with any race vs any race as far as me and my friends were concerned.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:42 PM   #8
BlackPete
Bought & Paid For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanto
Thats true for every single franchise they have released.
What franchises have they released since SC?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Echani
Æsahættr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidize105
On the singleplayer side, story-based campaigns many times Blizzard's better (I do not exaggerate) were being released at a steady pace. This "custom campaign" community is where I hail from. Regrettably, Blizzard as a company never officially embraced the work of the community. In fact, Blizzard frowned upon the community's use of the word "campaign" to address a series of "interlinked singleplayer missions." Anyway, that's a story for another time.
Any particular recommendations on the SP custom campaigns? I have Starcraft installed on either my laptop or main rig most of the time, and it'd be nice to try something new on the single-player side of things.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Skyelan
Not a freak, just stupid

Hey, looks like I picked a good time to finally get my head out of the sand and buy StarCraft. Battle Chest for only 20 bucks is the best 20 bucks I've ever spent.
Skyelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
Crono
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echani
Any particular recommendations on the SP custom campaigns? I have Starcraft installed on either my laptop or main rig most of the time, and it'd be nice to try something new on the single-player side of things.
OMG YES!!

Ok, first off, visit campaign creations. They have some of the best custom campaigns ever. They went so far as to have their own cinematics done (which are impressive in quality for indy projects).

I would recommend starting with Legacy of the Confederation . This campaign has everything. From compelling story, memorable characters, custom sound(s) and musical scores, custom graphics, sophisticated triggers (sophisticated for the way StarEdit map editor was setup) and great level designs. You will thank me after playing through it. Definitely worth it.

((It appears that LotC uses Brood War version 1.07. To get it, use this link for v1.07 of Brood War. Then uninstall your game, re-install it, and apply the 1.07 patch before playing the campaign.))

After that, choose at your own discretion. Most of the campaigns seem to be missing from years past. I was also going to recommend Reclamation of Auir, but it is one of the missing campaigns. If you can find it though, I would play through it. Its author is Sharandar.

Enjoy!
Crono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
Mav
Moderator & Nerd For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPete
What franchises have they released since SC?
IIRC Diablo 1 came out shortly before SC. And I know for a fact Diablo 2 came out in 2000, with it's expansion LoD coming out in 2001. So not technically a new franchise they did add on to existing franchises after SC and BW were released.
Raptr mavgeek
Twitter @Maverickroll
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
TheHulk
Evil Dead

This is something I haven't played in awhile. Need to break it out again soon.
TheHulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:41 PM   #14
Liquidize105
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echani
I plan to do another post with some recommendations. If you really can't wait, I'd say give LotC's Fall Angel and The Gallantry a try.

Campaign Creations hasn't been itself in the past 3-4 years after Desler turned over admin duties. These days it's simply a repository.
• Thief Series With Randy Smith: 1/2, 2/2
Old 01-16-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Location: In a place where I don't have to engage with folks like you.
Am I the only person who does not feel the Starcraft love as others do.

Sure... it was a very good RTS and perhaps one of the most polished examples of the form as most people know it. It was also horribly derivative; from it's Warhammer 40k inspired visuals to its resource management.

Don't get me wrong, it is an exceptional game but there are plenty of RTS games that trounce it for enjoyment and innovation.

Then again as my mag's supposed 'strategy guy' I spend a lot of time playing RTS games and it is entirely likely that I've played so many traditional RTS games that even the most polished examples of their kind leave me cold.

I am prepared to admit that. :P
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #16
cp#
Evil Dead

I'm sorry El Presidente but I'm going to have to kill you
cp# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #17
jeffbax
Shazbot!

Quote:
I don't think thats entirely accurate. I think the game is generally very balanced since I've first played it... the tweaks I've never noticed personally. I think the important thing, is that Blizzard is still releasing updates 9 years later
jeffbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #18
ElPresidente
Evil Dead

Location: In a place where I don't have to engage with folks like you.
Agreed. The game shipped extremely balanced as far as your average player goes and was praised for its efforts in this area upon release.

It was only those players who became exceptionally good at the game who started to notice slight advantages and it was for these (usually competition players) people the patches balanced things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimpot0k
I'm sorry El Presidente but I'm going to have to kill you
Damn.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #19
Zeal
Scumbag, Thief & Pirate

Yeah, that's right. Get ready for Starcraft 2, biatches.

A storm's comin'.
Zeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #20
Lint of Death

Oddly enough, today I just played Total Annihilation (complete with UTASP) for the first time in a long while.

StarCraft rarely sat well with me. To be more accurate, it bored me often. Several of my friends are/were/secretly still are enthusiastic about it, though.

It can be really fun, though. I was playing with a friend -- he attacked me with a full fleet of carriers. They didn't stand a chance against my defense consisting of 200 marines. I was too incompetent to bring the fight to him, but every attack of his failed (even though I would consider him a very good player - dumb luck on my part?). It was only over when he mind-controlled my (basically obliterated other friend)'s SCV, built up a Terran base of his own, and nuked every last one of my poor marines. They all died at once. Ow

The only times I really enjoyed the game (campaign aside, I guess) were when I either rushed with blinding speed, or zoning out (OK, it wasn't exactly a ball) while filling my own base with missile turrets and 200 marines.

The ridiculous unit variety, physics-based projectiles, and relentless potential for destruction are probably why I prefer Total Annihilation. Not to mention the premise is so simple that I love it; and all of this will be back for Supreme Commander!

...please don't kill me.