12 Replies, 550 Views
Post something good you...
Last post by RAV
Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,617 Views

Old 03-02-2017, 06:23 AM   #1
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Zelda: Breath of the Wild Reviews "Breath of the Wild is Nintendoís Magnum Opus"

Digital Chumps - 5/5

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is Nintendoís Magnum Opus. Itís not only the best Zelda game ever created, itís also one of the very best videogames in the history of the art. Games like this are so rare that it would be impossible to classify it as anything other than a masterpiece. Experience it at all costs.
Giant Bomb - 5/5

Quote:
This sense of wonder is something that I havenít felt so strongly since I played A Link to the Past when I was seven years old. Ocarina of Time was able to capture some of that same magic in my teenage years. Now that Iím in my thirties, I donít think that I expected it to be possible for a game to make me feel like that again.
Game Informer - 10/10

Quote:
I was entranced by this version of Hyrule, and it surprised me at nearly every turn, from its wealth of discoveries to the way it shuns the established tropes of previous Zelda games. It represents a profound new direction for one of gamingís best franchises and a new high point for open-world interactive experiences.
Polygon - 10/10

Quote:
I guess, in the end, itís not just that Breath of the Wild signals that Zelda has finally evolved and moved beyond the structure itís leaned on for so long. Itís that the evolution in question has required Nintendo to finally treat its audience like intelligent people. That newfound respect has led to something big, and different, and exciting. But in an open world full of big changes, Breath of the Wild also almost always feels like a Zelda game ó and establishes itself as the first current, vital-feeling Zelda in almost 20 years.
Gamespot - 10/10

Quote:
Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever delivered.
IGN - 10/10

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is a masterclass in open-world design and a watershed game that reinvents a 30-year-old franchise. It presents a wonderful sandbox full of mystery, dangling dozens upon dozens of tantalizing things in front of you that just beg to be explored. Iíve had so many adventures in Breath of the Wild, and each one has a unique story behind what led me to them, making them stories on top of stories. And even after Iíve spent more than 50 hours searching the far reaches of Hyrule, I still manage to come across things I havenít seen before. Iíll easily spend 50 to 100 more trying to track down its fascinating moments.
EGM - 9.5/10

Quote:
While Breath of the Wild doesnít follow the standard Zelda formula, it may be the quintessential example of the Zelda spirit. With a stunningly beautiful and interactive world, surprising difficulty, and a dizzying amount of riddles and puzzles, thereís no end to the secrets hidden in the vast land of Hyrule.
PatrickRes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Great post! Thanks! I guess you are in line to be our next Mod!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #3
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
Great post! Thanks! I guess you are in line to be our next Mod!
Hah, wish I could take credit. I copied one of the worlds best mods, Emab's format exactly from his last review post for Horizon.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #4
Terran
Evil Dead

I read the EGM review since I wanted a review that wouldn't simply glow and gush (it's the only one not a 100% score listed above). I have to admit this game has me very, very intrigued now. I don't like the visuals, but the game itself sounds like an incredible blast, and I absolutely love open world games. I don't like the weapon-breaking mechanic where you don't know when your weapon will finally give out. I think there should be some kind of meter or durability gauge. Other than that, it sounds amazing.

Man...really don't want a Switch. Thinking, thinking!

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Mozain
Fueled By Tits & Revenge

I want this quite badly, but it's going to have to wait. I have a Wii U, but I know I'll be getting a switch down the road (first price drop/hardware revision, as is the sensible thing to do). As with anything I feel like I cheat myself if I don't go for the "true" higher end experience.
Mozain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Metal Jesus
Evil Dead

...jeez... You don't see those scores across the board very often. Looks like Nintendo has their equivalent of Super Mario 64 during the N64 launch
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I read the EGM review since I wanted a review that wouldn't simply glow and gush (it's the only one not a 100% score listed above). I have to admit this game has me very, very intrigued now. I don't like the visuals, but the game itself sounds like an incredible blast, and I absolutely love open world games. I don't like the weapon-breaking mechanic where you don't know when your weapon will finally give out. I think there should be some kind of meter or durability gauge. Other than that, it sounds amazing.

Man...really don't want a Switch. Thinking, thinking!
Im a little unsure of the weapon-breaking mechanic as well. For one, it can turn out to be annoying, and leave you in a menu too much. They have a counter for how many swings you have with it left I think, or something like that, but I'm not sure if that's visible out of the menu. But otherwise, yah same here, everything sounds amazing. I cant believe the reviews this thing is getting. I canceled my Switch pre-order, and now Im regretting it. I could have been playing this tomorrow.

On not having scores below a 95, that wasn't to be intentionally biased. When posting reviews or threads, objectivity is critical. "News" should be as objective as possible. Unless you're the MSM There simply aren't any notable reviews lower. There are a few more obscure media spots (Everyeye.it) and the foreign Eurogamer Italy that gave it a 9 out of 10, but it has a 98 Metacritc score over 56 critics. Tied for the second highest score across all games on all platforms ever. Legitimately, almost all scores are perfect scores.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #8
Scherge
Evil Dead

I'm honestly surprised to see this many perfect scores (they actually made the headline of a German games business newsletter today). From the short demo I played a few weeks back, I'd have expected some 9/10s (really 8/10s with added launch-title/first-party bonus), with points docked for the storytelling and visuals.

But, hey: This is great news for everyone! For Nintendo, because they (hopefully) have a system seller on their hands; for Switch owners, because they get a brilliant exclusive game right out of the gate; and for everyone else, because three serious competitors are better than two.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Anemone
Evil Dead

Too bad Spectral says the Switch is going to fail guys, pack it in :P

Who can even remember the last time Nintendo launched with a Zelda game, and now this? Incredible. I must have a Switch.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #10
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Who can even remember the last time Nintendo launched with a Zelda game, and now this? Incredible. I must have a Switch.
2006. The Wii launched with Twilight Princess.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
2006. The Wii launched with Twilight Princess.
Heyyyy, we found the guy who remembers--I did not remember. Btw, TP was, to my mind, a pretty terrible game in some ways. Never finished it.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozain View Post
I want this quite badly, but it's going to have to wait. I have a Wii U, but I know I'll be getting a switch down the road (first price drop/hardware revision, as is the sensible thing to do). As with anything I feel like I cheat myself if I don't go for the "true" higher end experience.
Yup, I was going to get it for the Wii U but after I saw some comparison screenshots I think I'm going to wait.

Since this is a single player experience, it won't matter if you wait till it's very cheap to get.
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickRes9 View Post
I canceled my Switch pre-order, and now Im regretting it. I could have been playing this tomorrow.
Get it for the WiiU, I doubt the visuals are that downgraded and I've already seen some review vids saying that the visuals on the switch when it TV mode are kinda bad anyway. Not to mention the switches tendency to lose connection with one of the joy-cons. The WiiU version might be the better experience.
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojopin View Post
Get it for the WiiU, I doubt the visuals are that downgraded and I've already seen some review vids saying that the visuals on the switch when it TV mode are kinda bad anyway. Not to mention the switches tendency to lose connection with one of the joy-cons. The WiiU version might be the better experience.
Hmm interesting. I havent heard that. The Switch is more powerful than the Wii U, but ive also heard the framerates are much improved on the Switch, so is the draw distance and the audio.

The joycon connection issues is on my radar to pay attention to if a legit issue and it goes unresolved, but if the Switch is the better overall experience, I'll have to go with that version and wait. Im going to be buying a Switch regardless anyway. The question is just when. May still get the Wii U version, but it'll probably mean that I buy the game twice :|
Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #15
Chief Smash
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post

Well it's a little premature to call the Switch a success. This certainly bodes well but it's far from certain right now. And besides, for Spectral to relent on that one, the Switch wouldn't just have to make a good profit. It would have to sell ungodly numbers and come with a case of Natty Light and every revision of EA NHL packed in just so we know it's not for babies.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #16
Anemone
Evil Dead

Ah yes, Natty light, king of beers...
Old 03-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #17
screwyluie
Evil Dead

mine shows up tomorrow, not going to read the reviews.

It is crazy to see such high scores. I mean I'm a huge zelda fan but I'll be the first to admit some of the game aren't that great and one or two are pretty bad. I had mentally prepared for this game to be an 80/100. A solid zelda game but with new ideas that weren't fully realized and some issues technically.

But now I'm super excited about getting my system tomorrow.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #18
GodFather
Evil Dead

Nostalgia is a hell of a feeling people crave. Im sure this game gives them their fill of it while delivering a very good game. 10's across the board everywhere? Im sure their nostalgic feeling for the game and characters has a lot to do with it.
GodFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Well it's a little premature to call the Switch a success. This certainly bodes well but it's far from certain right now. And besides, for Spectral to relent on that one, the Switch wouldn't just have to make a good profit. It would have to sell ungodly numbers and come with a case of Natty Light and every revision of EA NHL packed in just so we know it's not for babies.
Natty Light is for tiny baby-men. Natty Daddy is where it's at for real men and their sepia-toned manly man-games.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
Anemone
Evil Dead

I do not think nostalgia alone can produce perfect 10's across the board.

Tags
breath of the wild, nintendo, zelda