Evil Dead

AMD Ryzen Reviews

Anandtech: The AMD Zen and Ryzen 7 Review: A Deep Dive on 1800X, 1700X and 1700

PC World: Ryzen review: AMD is back

Arstechnica: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X review: Good, but not for gamers

Tom's Hardware: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU Review

GURU3D: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Review

Gamers Nexus: AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production

It looks like good news for AMD and consumers.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

So, the value per dollar is still the biggest AMD plus. I can live with that.

With reports of the an overclocked 1700x beating a 6900k, I think the value is enormous.
brandonjclark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Anemone
Evil Dead

I'm satisfied. It does more than well enough for the price. Not perfect, but right up there neck and neck with Intel's best.

Reports of difficulty getting high-frequency memory running are however worrying. One tester said they couldn't get anything above 2400mhz to post at all.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I'm satisfied. It does more than well enough for the price. Not perfect, but right up there neck and neck with Intel's best.

Reports of difficulty getting high-frequency memory running are however worrying. One tester said they couldn't get anything above 2400mhz to post at all.
Motherboards! Fucking motherboards are so shitty.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
So, the value per dollar is still the biggest AMD plus. I can live with that.

With reports of the an overclocked 1700x beating a 6900k, I think the value is enormous.
I wonder how much they'll gain from better firmware for motherboards. I think the value is there for many people, but I'd probably go with a 7700K over a 1700X for gaming if I were in the market.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

I don't just use my PC for gaming though. I use it for, well. personal computing. If I can get 90% of the gaming performance and 150% of the multi-core performance, my purchase is easily going to AMD.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
I don't just use my PC for gaming though. I use it for, well. personal computing. If I can get 90% of the gaming performance and 150% of the multi-core performance, my purchase is easily going to AMD.
Sure, and that's why I noted I would lean towards the 7700K and noted that I believed the value is there for many people.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

And let's suppose AMD set aside a particularly good set of wafers for the .... R9 series!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #9
Anemone
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomUSMC View Post
I'd probably go with a 7700K over a 1700X for gaming if I were in the market.
Maybe if gaming was the major thing you wanted to do on that rig. For someone like me who does a significant amount of multi-core work other than gaming, it's a no-brainer to go with the 1800x. The single-thread performance isn't different enough to overshadow the amazing multi-core performance.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Quote:
Maybe if gaming was the major thing you wanted to do on that rig. For someone like me who does a significant amount of multi-core work other than gaming, it's a no-brainer to go with the 1800x. The single-thread performance isn't different enough to overshadow the amazing multi-core performance.
Maybe if this was a gaming site... oh yeah it is. So Venom's point stands. If you were mostly concerned about gaming, then Intel is still king. It has the better performing gaming CPU at a lower price point.

However if you want to do stuff that would better leverage additional cores and cache, then the new AMD chip might be right for you. Not that hard.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Franjo
Evil Dead

My i5 2500k at 4.8GHZ from 2011 still isn't getting replaced.
Franjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
well said. Although this is where you and I differ. I won't give up 10% performance now and 25% performance over the next few years for 150% multi thread performance now. But I don't think the gaming difference is only 10%. Those benchmarks on arstechna are the $500 1800x vs a host of intel chips, some of which are much cheaper. these still aren't the benchmarks I want. I want to see the 1700 and 1700x compared to similar priced intel chips like the 7700k in gaming. I think you'll find the gap much larger than 10% at the same price point.

I'm a gamer first and foremost and as such a majority of my workload consists of single core performance and the portion of it that does use multithreaded loads will see little to no improvement from AMD. Meanwhile intel has the features that interest me the most and for the same price or less.

I was actually kinda hoping Ryzen would live up to the hype and I could build my first AMD system in, gosh 15 years? give or take. Perhaps I can find a customer who wants an AMD system built. But it looks like I'll be sticking to the 7700k for $350 in my build.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:13 AM   #13
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Maybe if gaming was the major thing you wanted to do on that rig.
Quote:
I think the value is there for many people, but I'd probably go with a 7700K over a 1700X for gaming if I were in the market.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #14
Clancy
Soul Reaper

Overall, not bad at all, they still got best bang for the buck. Much needed competition is back, and that was really needed!
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
brandonjclark
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Overall, not bad at all, they still got best bang for the buck. Much needed competition is back, and that was really needed!
Yeah, and although over clocking doesn't seem to be great atm, when it is enabled it's a pretty fast chip.

So yesterday we would've paid over $1000 for this kind of performance and today we can pay $500. Instant value
Old 03-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

So AMD built a chip specifically to crush benchmarks and smash Handbrake records... but the highest end Ryzen 1800X won't compete with the $150 cheaper intel proc when it comes to gaming. Which is 90% of what I use my home computer for considering it isn't just my hobby it's also part of my job to do competitive analysis.

Minimize and poo-poo "I don't use my rig for just gaming anyway" as much as you want but considering the amazing amount of hype they've tried to build among the early adopters and enthusiasts first it clearly shows where they think they need the support and it's not workstation buyers.

Not only that but it doesn't have the PCIe channels to take advantage of some of the newest tech in a way that boosts it over intel, in particular M.2 stuff, that could make up for some of its other flaws.

I was initially excited by this but, just like DX12, all the "potential" in the world isn't going to make developers spend the extra shekels to code and QA a significantly risky pipeline when the installed base doesn't support the investment.

Hell, many games still don't support DX11 and that's years old; common DX12 adoption is years away. PBR and HDR is just becoming "things" in games and how long have these been floating around?

I r disappoint. Maybe they'll get it right with the Ryzen 2800X?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
BenSkywlkr
Evil Dead

I'm rather confused, so this chip is if you want to perform slower, but kinda close, to a top tier i7 using apps where CUDA decimates CPUs anyway, but just shut that off for..... reasons..... and you demand vastly inferior gaming performance or a huge price premium then this is the chip for you.......?

Seriously?

Well, hats off to AMD- they blew my expectations away, they managed to make Bulldozer look good.
BenSkywlkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #18
screwyluie
Evil Dead

AMD deserves kudos here. If you had asked me last year if AMD would ever have a competent CPU that I would be interested in I would've laugh hysterically and called the psych ward.

These are good CPU's and you would not be disappointed if you bought one and that is something I never saw coming from AMD ever again.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

So then why the FUCK is my stock in the tank?! Jeezus good thing I had a decent stop quote order. Still ended up losing $235 when I had a profit of $3000 just 2 days ago. God damned joke!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Quote:
I wonder how much they'll gain from better firmware for motherboards. I think the value is there for many people, but I'd probably go with a 7700K over a 1700X for gaming if I were in the market.
I agree. Great CPU and there is a much better selection of motherboards for it. I'm ready to ditch my aging 8350 and go Intel.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote