Yesterday 06:22 PM
4 Replies, 225 Views

Old 03-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

PSA: Save Data On Nintendo Switch Can't Be Copied Or Transferred

Game Informer has the story.

Quote:
Losing save data for games you've put hours into can be the worst feeling. Nowadays, it's less of a concern when we can back up save files in multiple ways, with external and cloud storage options. However, with the recently launched Nintendo Switch, you can't transfer save files to any other external storage medium or other Switch console.

Nintendo confirmed to Kotaku that, At this time, it is not possible to transfer save data from one Nintendo Switch system to another, and according to the official Nintendo Switch online FAQ "Game save data cannot be saved or copied to a microSD card." We have scoured the console's settings ourselves and haven't come across any possibility for data transfer. Instead, it is only possible to delete save data to make space in the console's 32 GB internal storage.

This is different from both Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, which both had the ability to transfer data, even if the 3DS' save data transfer tool is cumbersome.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Maybe they're hoping to bring cloud saves online? I fucking love Steam games that have cloud saves.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
screwyluie
Evil Dead

While I have never needed to transfer save files in my 30 years of gaming I understand the need especially when it comes to RMA. From a consumer standpoint it's pretty unforgivable but I wonder if they're doing it to prevent hacking as most Nintendo exploits come from altered save data.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Yeah, see...I don't like having my save data stuck in one place. I want to be able to transfer it, if necessary.

What if someone has a hardware failure? I'd hate to lose all of my save data because of something like that.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
screwyluie
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Yeah, see...I don't like having my save data stuck in one place. I want to be able to transfer it, if necessary.

What if someone has a hardware failure? I'd hate to lose all of my save data because of something like that.
I find it odd that it's not on the cart like they've always done. Obviously that's different if you download the game but the physical copies should have the save data on the cart.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
GinRummy
Evil Dead

I look forward to the day where a game install takes up 30 gb and only allows one save with the room left over.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
PatrickRes9
Maker of Babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Maybe they're hoping to bring cloud saves online? I fucking love Steam games that have cloud saves.
They've gotta have a plan. Or this is really lame. Cloud saving would be most ideal. But hardware can fail. Losing all your save files and unlocks would be beyond frustrating. Could ruin someones entire perspective on the console. They need a solution for this.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:47 PM   #8
LostToys
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinRummy View Post
I look forward to the day where a game install takes up 30 gb and only allows one save with the room left over.
Any ports from PS4/Xbox One will likely have this issue. For example, Dragon Quest Heroes III requires 32GB of storage, which exceeds the onboard memory of the Switch.

Not being able to backup the saves is pretty shitty and likely done to prevent rampant piracy that affected exploits in games on the Wii, WiiU and 3DS. It is very anti-consumer in this regard.

I for one am not happy about this, as now I have to bring my switch with me even when I am visiting someone who already has a Switch because my saves are not transferable.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

They are doing this because they are currently trying to figure out how to do it without the console getting hacked. They see it as a security issue right now. The Wii U is 100% hacked now without a hardware mod which is the other reason as to why they stopped physically making them.
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #10
shadow763
Lord of Woe

If the reasoning is because of getting hacked they need to give up that battle or get out of the business. It's fine to DRM your shit or whatever to minimize your average Joe, but if you stop transferring saves or offering a cloud solution to stop hacking, that is retarded. People will always figure out how to hack your stuff, it is a lost battle, so don't punish regular consumers for the small number that will actually hack it.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Terran
Evil Dead

You can't win a lost battle by punishing your legitimate consumers. Your stuff is still going to get exploited and hacked, except now you've just made the experience for folks who buy your products worse than it had to be to prevent something you can't ultimately prevent.

I just don't understand Nintendo sometimes. Their approach to online communities, account-based content (across devices) and the like has been so amazingly archaic and inconvenient, I find myself wondering who the hell makes these decisions, they're so out of touch.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #12
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

My question is how is the space being so limited by design going to affect 3rd party publishers from even wanting to bother? The Switch isn't going to survive on Nintendo alone.
SpectralThundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
kefka95
Lord

I'm loving my Switch so far (which basically means Zelda), but this is concerning. You can easily put 100+ hours into a game like BOTW. So if my system dies, all of my data is just gone, forever? They need to do something about this.
kefka95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
Fubl
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
You can't win a lost battle by punishing your legitimate consumers. Your stuff is still going to get exploited and hacked, except now you've just made the experience for folks who buy your products worse than it had to be to prevent something you can't ultimately prevent.

I just don't understand Nintendo sometimes. Their approach to online communities, account-based content (across devices) and the like has been so amazingly archaic and inconvenient, I find myself wondering who the hell makes these decisions, they're so out of touch.
Nintendo has not made it out of the 90s really is the only thing i can come up with. I was going to say the 80s but Had to give them pokemon. Just seems the decade they are stuck in. They were the juggernaut, 33.6k and Aol where the new hotness, if people wanted to game together it was in a living room or arcade. The only thing i can say is its a wonder how they kept the DS relevant since say 09 is Either Genius or pure Unadulterated Luck
Fubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralThundr View Post
My question is how is the space being so limited by design going to affect 3rd party publishers from even wanting to bother? The Switch isn't going to survive on Nintendo alone.
It natively supports Micro SD cards up to 2TB for storage. Additionally, there's no install if you buy a physical copy of the game; they're all on cards.

The storage space isn't really used for anything other than save files if you don't go digital. With that being said...expanding the storage is pretty necessary; I fully intend to get at least a few games digitally and 32GB ain't gonna cut it.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #16
shadow763
Lord of Woe

But gaming is going all digital. That is the end game. Nintendo has embraced it albeit in their own interesting way. It feels to me they released a system with essentially only enough space to store saves, not games. It is like they released a system with no internal storage in the age of digital.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #17
Anenome
Autarchist

Quote:
But gaming is going all digital.
Not today.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #18
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
It natively supports Micro SD cards up to 2TB for storage. Additionally, there's no install if you buy a physical copy of the game; they're all on cards.

The storage space isn't really used for anything other than save files if you don't go digital. With that being said...expanding the storage is pretty necessary; I fully intend to get at least a few games digitally and 32GB ain't gonna cut it.
Thanks didn't know bout the sd storage. Still it seems really strange alot of the hardware decisions they have made.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #19
SpectralThundr
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anenome View Post
Not today.
It pretty much is though for the entire rest of the industry. It's like nintendo just refuses to move on from the 90's.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #20
Rommel
International Playboy

Of all the problems the community will be unable to fix on the Switch, I feel this is the one most likely to be fixed.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo, nintendo switch