Today 04:09 PM
3 Replies, 170 Views

Old 05-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Zack Snyder Steps Down From 'Justice League' to Deal With Family Tragedy

The Hollywood Reporter has the story.

Quote:
Snyder tells The Hollywood Reporter he is stepping away from Justice League, Warner Bros.’ all-star DC Comics superhero mega-movie that is in postproduction, in order to deal with the sudden death of his daughter. Snyder's wife, Deborah Snyder, who is a producer on Justice League, also is taking a break to focus on the healing of their family.

Stepping in to shepherd the movie through post and the shooting of some additional scenes will be Joss Whedon, the Avengers filmmaker and creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With Whedon's help, the movie is still on track for its Nov. 17 release date.

Snyder’s daughter Autumn Snyder died by suicide in March at age 20. Her death has been kept private, with only a small inner circle aware of what happened, even as the movie was put on a two-week break for the Snyders to deal with the immediate effects of the tragedy. Zack Snyder says he initially was eager to return to the film, which stars Ben Affleck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller.

“In my mind, I thought it was a cathartic thing to go back to work, to just bury myself and see if that was the way through it,” said an emotional Snyder in an interview Monday in his office on the Warner Bros. lot, with Deborah sitting by his side. “The demands of this job are pretty intense. It is all-consuming. And in the last two months, I’ve come to the realization … I’ve decided to take a step back from the movie to be with my family, be with my kids, who really need me. They are all having a hard time. I’m having a hard time.”
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
Terran
Evil Dead

Wish him the best. Terribly sad for his family. Money doesn't prevent tragedy for sure.

As for Whedon, will he offer us Planned Parenthood promo placements and classy comments on what teen cancer survivors look like on a ten point 'hotness' scale? Right up his alley. What a dick.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Very easy to be insensitive right now but I won't be. Terrible for his family. Some people bury themselves in their work but that is rarely a good outlet for grief.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
Wish him the best. Terribly sad for his family. Money doesn't prevent tragedy for sure.

As for Whedon, will he offer us Planned Parenthood promo placements and classy comments on what teen cancer survivors look like on a ten point 'hotness' scale? Right up his alley. What a dick.
I must have missed all of those references in his two Avengers movies.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

I don't separate the art from the artist when the artist is an exceptionally immense asshole, which Whedon has proven himself to be. My list is quite short, but he's on it. When you score teen cancer victims for their, in your twisted view, lack of attractiveness in order to fling cheap insults against your political opponent, you're an asshole of immense proportions.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #6
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I don't separate the art from the artist when the artist is an exceptionally immense asshole, which Whedon has proven himself to be. My list is quite short, but he's on it. When you score teen cancer victims for their, in your twisted view, lack of attractiveness in order to fling cheap insults against your political opponent, you're an asshole of immense proportions.
Fair enough; I can't fault you for that, at the end of the day.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
Phoenix1985
Subscriber

Huh. I wasn't going to watch this before, but now that someone competent is doing the final work it might have at least a shot.
Phoenix1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #8
ashikenshin
Evil Dead

Will it be equal to the mess that the Avengers movies were? If so, then pass.

Fuck Whedon
ashikenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
walstib
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikenshin View Post
Will it be equal to the mess that the Avengers movies were? If so, then pass.

Fuck Whedon
only whedon i cared about was firefly

and he fucked up the movie by killing off characters for no good reason
walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Such a bummer. I know some people didn't like Batman v Superman, but it worked for me. I can't imagine having a teen child kill themselves, that would just crush you as a parent. I know she was 20, but that is just out of her teens. Blarg.

I hope this film is great, I like most of it but the costume on Flash & Cyborg. I think I can look past those since the Flash actor seems amazing.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Angelus073
Dread Lord

Rather watch a Whedon superhero film than Snyder. BvS was the worst film I saw last year. I fucking hate it, it takes a lot for me to hate a film and this ticked every box. Sorry for his loss but I want him so far away from any other DC film.

Taking four or five DC arcs and trying to squash them into a two hour film is so dumb, it shows a lack of understanding of what make characters and comics enjoyable. The first phase of DCU has been a total disaster. Don't give me box office numbers because that doesn't relate to quality.
Angelus073 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc comics, justice league