Yesterday 07:49 PM
412 Replies, 111,591 Views

Old 07-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

DC's Next Movie Looks Likely To Be Shazam

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
While Marvel's schedule is packed with future movies, things have been a bit less busy at DC. Justice League and Aquaman are both due out in the next 12 months, but beyond that, it has been unclear what the next movie from the studio will be. It has now been reported that Shazam will go into production early next year for a 2019 release.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Shazam will be directed by David F. Sandberg. Sanberg scored a hit last year with the thriller Lights Out, and his horror sequel Annabelle: Creation arrives next month.

Dwayne Johnson was previously announced in the role of Shazam's nemesis Black Adam and is set to appear in a spinoff movie focusing on that character. However, it is unknown if he will also appear in the Shazam movie.

Although Shazam will be the next DC film to start shooting, the studio has plenty more films in the pipeline. Following the huge success of Wonder Woman, a sequel is likely to be announced soon. War of the Planet of the Apes director Matt Reeves is set to direct the standalone Batman movie, while Suicide Squad director David Ayer is developing Gotham City Sirens, focusing on the female villains of the DC universe. It was also reported last week that The Shallows director Jaume Collet-Serra might helm Suicide Squad 2, replacing the previously rumoured Mel Gibson.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Almost nothing in that list makes me feel good about upcoming DC stuff except WW sequel.

Not even Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam can save the rest of the mess. Though at least between him and the Annabelle director there may be some hope I feel like it's wasted on Shazam unless he isn't in Shazam which they imply.

And that would be dumb.

A Wonder Woman sequel would be welcome but they sort of ended that arc since (spoilers) she killed the god of war so how do they explain more war? or does it spin off JLA? I dunno. Still WW has been the best of all DC movies so hopefully they don't fuck up any sequel.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
...but they sort of ended that arc since (spoilers) she killed the god of war so how do they explain more war? (spoilers)
They explained that in the film, where (spoilers) the god of war said that humanity didn't need him to start their wars, as they were inherently warlike. He just stirred the pot, but it was already full of war. (spoilers)

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eats View Post
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
Rommel
International Playboy

Will this be the first DC movie to include color? Not people of color, just color.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:19 AM   #5
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

News has been breaking the last couple hours Ben Affleck is out as Batman and Justice League will be his last appearance. In other words DC/Warner is about to ruin future solo Batman movies by making them more "kid friendly" like the late 90s shitshow we've already gone through.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Terran
Evil Dead

Alternative interpretation: Affleck is too old, was boring as hell as batman, was taking the story in a convoluted direction folks would enjoy about as much as a dentist's visit, and DC did the right thing and gave him the boot.

Thank you DC. I cannot stand the guy's acting. Terrible.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
"...boys lining up outside a room to take a turn gang raping a woman?...I went to frat parties where shit like this was going down
Old 07-22-2017, 07:07 AM   #7
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

On the contrary, I feel like they should go for an even older Batman and do a proper live action Dark Knight Returns. Cut out the other superheroes and make it as dark and violent as the comics. If Michael Keaton can bulk up and doesn't have an exclusivity contract with Marvel or something I'd love to see him come back.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The new Planet of the Apes movie was boring as all heck, so ditching the Batfleck and bringing in a director whose last two films were only good and then boring isn't a good sign for the franchise at all.

I'm guessing that Batfleck was going to keep going the Snyder direction and do a dark and gritty Batman movie and Warner Bros is realizing that they are getting creamed by Marvel exactly because all their super hero movies are dark and gritty. But, I don't want DC to be Marvel. DC was always the more "adult" of the two companies and the movies should reflect that.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

DC wants their movies to be profitable, not 'gritty' or 'adult' for its own sake. They've made a market-based decision.

I think their gritty films have by and large sucked. BvS was a complete SLOG to get through. It was like wading through muck to get to the credits and be released to go home, lol.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
blackzc
Evil Dead

Ill just watch MST3K reruns or LOTR or cartoons or something. I legit haven't watched a new movie outside of Hacksaw Ridge in years. It seems im not missing anything.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Just got back from Valerian. Do yourself a favor and save your money for a cheap show.

The visuals are worthy of a big screen. Amazing visuals but there is no chemistry between the characters. It's the fact the male lead, Dane DeHaan, is NOT worthy of the title character. He doesn't exude any charisma much less the arrogance necessary to play someone who would ever be the person who could accomplish the feats of daring, much less the sexual exploits claimed in the course of the movie.

Because of his anemic physicality, and his shitty acting not allowing for the character to show much personality, intellectual horsepower, or wit it is difficult to suspend your disbelief to think of this very beta male would actually be successfully wooing a female of Laureline's caliber. He looks like kid who got stuffed into the locker in high school. Of course the female lead, Cara Delevingne, while incredibly good looking only does slightly better in the acting department but I I think much of this can be blamed on the absolute cringe worthy dialog and the fact most of her onscreen time was spent talking with a guy who looks like 15 year old dork trying to play at being Buck Rogers.

Clive Owen was showing up cause he needed beer money or something. The acting from the support staff was sooo much better than any of the leads. Surprisingly enough Rihanna's part was one of the highlights though with the same uneven acting poor acting. Yuck yuck and yuck but PRETTY!

Last edited by vallor; 07-22-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Old 07-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #12
Terran
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
It's the fact the male lead, Dane DeHaan, is NOT worthy of the title character.
Terrible casting.

Quote:
Of course the female lead, Cara Delevingne, is incredibly good looking even with a little overbite
She has the facial features of a twelve year old boy. I find her absolutely repulsive.

Quote:
she actually does a better acting job than expected
Terrible casting. She's a shitty actor. She should stick to modeling pre-adolescent androgynous everyday wear.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and save your money for a cheap show.
This had bomb all over it from the get go.

Don't be that guy:

Quote:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #13
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
They explained that in the film, where (spoilers) the god of war said that humanity didn't need him to start their wars, as they were inherently warlike. He just stirred the pot, but it was already full of war. (spoilers)
Thanks for the reminder. I implied from the context they still needed they still needed the spark rather than than just longer to agitate.

Also I think Cara Delevingne is very attractive, but to each their own. She doesn't hold a candle to Gal Gadot but yeah, I think poor Cara is probably best staying as a model. She hasn't shown the level of the growth in acting other Models turned actors have over the course of their movies. There are models who COULD be actors, she doesn't seem she's one of them.

Quote:
This had bomb all over it from the get go.
Yep, not doing well. I saw a mid-afternood 3D version and the theater was half-empty on opening weekend.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

It would never happen, but if Warner Bros had been smart they would have left Superman out of Justice League and had The Rock play Shazam in that scene with Alfred. That would have just blown people away.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
On the contrary, I feel like they should go for an even older Batman and do a proper live action Dark Knight Returns. Cut out the other superheroes and make it as dark and violent as the comics. If Michael Keaton can bulk up and doesn't have an exclusivity contract with Marvel or something I'd love to see him come back.
I would totally be down for Keaton returning as The Dark Knight. He could pull it off for sure.
Old 07-24-2017, 01:22 AM   #16
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I would totally be down for Keaton returning as The Dark Knight. He could pull it off for sure.
Or... Mickey Rourke in Marv mode. He already has the talking-to-himself-while-getting-beat-up part down. Seriously, I think this could work. :-)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Doing a proper adaptation of that story requires the presence of at least a few of the other superheroes, though. You need Superman for the ending.

I'm okay with the animated two-parter, myself. It's a great adaptation of the story.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #18
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I'm okay with the animated two-parter, myself. It's a great adaptation of the story.
I wish I could say the same. I bought the Blu-rays and was extremely disappointed that there was no inner monologue. Everything else was there, but it's just not the same without Wayne's constant contemplations if this particular death would be good or stupid...
Old 07-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #19
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scherge View Post
I wish I could say the same. I bought the Blu-rays and was extremely disappointed that there was no inner monologue. Everything else was there, but it's just not the same without Wayne's constant contemplations if this particular death would be good or stupid...
For better or worse, inner monologues are one of the things that rarely make the translation from print to screen. I doubt we'd get them in a live-action version, either.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #20
Scherge
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
For better or worse, inner monologues are one of the things that rarely make the translation from print to screen. I doubt we'd get them in a live-action version, either.
Yes, I know. I still think the whole protagonist/narrator thing worked really well in "Sim City" and fairly well in "Watchmen" (Rorschach's journal). Without it, "The Dark Knight Returns" seemed kinda... shallow to me. As in: I wasn't part of Batman's thought process and instead just followed along for the ride, like in every other movie.

Tags
dc comics, shazam