Get Your Heart Racing as...
Last post by brandonjclark
Today 05:50 PM
2 Replies, 172 Views

Old 08-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The Most Memorable Games based on Movies in Recent Times

The movie business and gaming business have bound together in recent times, especially in a modern age where technological growth has enabled our games to look far more advanced and, therefore, nearer in terms of graphics and effects to the movies we see at our local cinemas.

Plenty of excellent movies have found themselves branching out and releasing a game off the back of a filmís success, with gamers seemingly taking to this approach fairly well, especially judging by the amount of games there have been in this particular genre. But there is, of course, some absolute shockers from this genre also, with some creations not going down well at all. Overall, though, itís a genre that is seemingly growing all of the time and, above all else, has plenty of fun games to try out.

With hundreds, if not thousands, of games based on movies being released in recent times, we thought weíd narrow it down to some of the more memorable creations below.

Alienís Versus Predator Classic 2000

There are plenty of games which bear the Aliens vs/versus/v Predator name, but none of them top this one. This tri-protagonist shooter remains a highlight, not only because of itís eerily spooky gameplay which contains endless jumpy moments, but also because it encapsulates the fear and spookiness of the movie perfectly. Youíll be on edge playing this one as you walk through dimly-lit corridors with the knowledge that something lethal could be waiting around any corner.

Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

James Bond fans ask who is the best 007? Roulette gamers always wonder what is the best bet in roulette? American football fans tend to debate around just who is the greatest player of all-time? As do Star Wars fans, who are certainly a dedicated army and regularly scrutinise the franchise, especially when a game is released alongside it. Some simply donít hit the mark, but Stars Wars: Knights of the Old Republic certainly does. A game full of heart and humour, this is a creation for grown-up gamers and is a nod to some of the classic Star Wars films from the past. An RPG, this is a must-have for all fans of the films.

Blade Runner

Everyoneís seen Blade Runner the movie, right? Well the game isnít too shabby either. This 2D/3D mash-up adventure game, in which you can draw your pistol at any point, is a highly entertaining play. With its visual nodís to some scenes from the movie and a sense of being in constant danger as you walk the streets, it feels exactly like a Blade Runner video game should feel like. It does have the odd ridiculous puzzle or the occasion silly story, but overall Blade Runner is a truly epic game based on a movie.

The Thing

A perfectly executed game when it comes to evoking its source material, including the tension, paranoia and brutality, The Thing is just as gripping as the movie is and received excellent reviews at the time of its release. Battling against various aliens and even trying to determine who is an alien and who isnít as you trudge your way through darkness, this game isnít for the faint hearted. With its sparse and sinister music, odd camera angles and the constant feeling of loneliness, this really is a classic.

Mad Max

If you donít know what Mad Max is then you simply havenít lived. Same applies to this game, too. An open-world action game in the desert, Mad Max is highly entertaining, incredibly fun and full of pure unadulterated mayhem which will certainly satisfy your gaming needs.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #2
BeardedSonOfNel
Chaotic Neutral

The Thing was a fun game!
Great list all the way around!
BeardedSonOfNel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I missed Star Wars Pod Racer. That was one of the best of all times.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Heh, that AvP screenshot is from my old mod AvP Redux.

The Wolverine game by Raven was good. It nearly made up for the X Men Origins movie abomination.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Skunk
Evil Dead

Great list.

One of the things that really highlighted AvP 2000 is how incredible the sound was. Not just the jump scare, but also like the Predator's vision-changing effects and the electric roar of the pulse rifle and smart gun. That game is just... such a treasure for it's time.
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
RAV
Evil Dead

oh yeah, good times.

Maybe also Indiana Jones! Think were was cood Adventure games on that.

There are also a couple of edge cases, like the Lord of the Rings type games and such.
Now obviously it's books first it's based on, but the movies is the first thing that comes to mind for most people.

But man, have you guys tried thinking of movies based on games?
Might be a little tougher to find good ones there...
but there's Tomb Raider, Doom, ResidentEvil, Hitman, BloodRyan, Mario.

In the future the goal probably is to develop franchises as a whole, where you can't even make the distinction anymore what was first, cause the basic world building was done for both. There's definitely a number of games where you already think from the start the setting may as well have been developed for a movie.

On a humorous side note, maybe you remember there was this huge video game industry crash back in the 80s/90s where the whole industry just completely collapsed in a chain reaction, especially from Atari. One reason given was the flood of crap games at the time, but specifically the release of the game adaption to the E.T movie. Sometimes that game alone was blamed for ruining Atari and the rest of the industry, but of course it isn't so simple, it was already in deep trouble, and this was just the last little drop that made it all turn belly up.

There is this funny article where the guy responsible for the E.T. game at the time was interviewed, cool dude.
The man who made 'the worst video game in history'
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:13 AM   #7
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

No GoldenEye.

DISAPPOINTED
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

I still have Blade Runner over on my game shelf unopened. I really need to get around to playing that game one day...

As for The Thing, I remember starting that game and spending quite a bit of time in it, but then I needed to shut down for dinner. Apparently it has check-point saves that are few and far between, because when I started it again it put me back at the beginning. I didn't touch it since.

My favorite movie tie-in game has got to be Star Wars Battlefront II (the original). I still play that game to this day.

Also, I got the E.T. game when I was a kid and I actually enjoyed it so PFFFFFTTTT.

Tags
games, movies