Yesterday 07:58 PM
23 Replies, 2,032 Views

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Four years after it was announced, Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot

Eurogamer has the story.

Quote:
When Dave Jones, one of the chief creators of Lemmings, Grand Theft Auto and the first Crackdown game, took to the stage during Microsoft's 2015 Gamescom media briefing to present pre-alpha in-game footage of Crackdown 3, gamers were promised a competitive multiplayer open-world experience with "100 per cent destructible environments". By connecting to the Microsoft cloud, Crackdown 3 would benefit from 20 times the computational power of the Xbox One, we were told. As virtual buildings blew apart in the most realistic, expansive way we'd ever seen in a video game before, Crackdown fans dared to dream about the kind of game they would eventually play.

As with so much to do with video games, however, dreams rarely turn into reality.

Fast forward to 2018 and Crackdown 3 is in a tough spot. It's suffered multiple delays, met with apathy online and was even rumoured to be cancelled. Behind the scenes, developers - a raft of developers - have worked hard to turn Crackdown 3 into a real video game that will actually come out. They have faced multiple challenges along the way, which, people close to the project speaking with Eurogamer anonymously have indicated, has a lot to do with that pesky cloud-powered multiplayer, its "100 per cent destructible environments" and exactly who is - and isn't - working on the game.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
MadMurdock_0311
Evil Dead

I wanted this game, but the more they push back that release date, the less interested I become. I still want to play it, but constant delays tell me it's a dumpster-fire (Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?).

At least Blizz does the whole "When it's done", like, fuck setting a release date until we know for certain we can meet it. Sure, RockStar has a history of delays, but they're a proven** developer/publishing house, so it's not as worrisome.

I just hope this game delivers, because I enjoyed the first two.

**Let's just forget about Manhunt 2, Table Tennis, and State of Emergency.
MadMurdock_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
LostToys
Evil Dead

The marketing has been attrocious for this title. One of the things about Crackdown was that you were just some nameless cop taking orders and distributing justice to the city. Now they have been pumping Terry Crews as that face for the game, and as much as I love Terry Crews, I do not want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostToys View Post
The marketing has been attrocious for this title. One of the things about Crackdown was that you were just some nameless cop taking orders and distributing justice to the city. Now they have been pumping Terry Crews as that face for the game, and as much as I love Terry Crews, I do not want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown.
Yeah, it kinda works better when you're just Nameless Super Cop.

I fuckin' love Terry Crews, but you're right; I don't necessarily want to play as Terry Crews in Crackdown. Maybe another game, though.

Okay. Definitely another game. Terry Crews is awesome. He should have gotten the sequel to Shaq Fu.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:58 AM   #5
Scherge
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
Terry Crews is awesome. He should have gotten the sequel to Shaq Fu.
That made me chuckle.

As for "Crackdown 3"... It wasn't just the "personal" touch of the marketing campaign that rubbed me the wrong way. The whole project smelled fake from the word go! "The Cloud" is just another computer on the internet. Sure, it might be good for some random background calculations or storing additional data, but haven't people learned anything from the OnLive debacle? To me, the 2015 "gameplay" trailer and presentation were just as ridiculous as the "Milo" demo or the first "Kinect" trailers (remember the skateboard-scanning feature?).

Microsoft seems adamant to produce something that at least resembles the vision from these first trailers, chewing up and spitting out developers left and right. Well, maybe with the added computing power of the X.B.O.X., they will eventually be able to pull it off. I really don't see the point, though. Destruction is nice, but the first game (let's not talk about the second) was about using the environment, not destroying it! Just reduce the scale of the destruction and focus on cool, vertical level design!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 AM   #6
Snipee
Evil Dead

At this point I wouldn’t be upset if it was canceled.0
Snipee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
ministryofwrath
Evil Dead

I wanted this game to come out, loved the first one, hated the second one.

It could have set a new standard for destructible environments, Hopefully it still will...
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #8
Primus
Valar Morghulis

If they can just match the first one with 4 player co-op I will be very happy.

PSN: Leper DCE
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #9
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

The whole cloud mumbo jumbo is a bunch of crap that MS has never been able to get right in all the years since the Xbox One released. It was one of the reasons they felt they could ship the underpowered console to begin with, since they’d push everything off to the cloud.

Now they have the X1X I guess that can cover for the cloud but I’m not sure how they cover for the standard X1. Also, I doubt everything is going to resolve around Terry Crews, I think that’s probably just for marketing purposes.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:03 AM   #10
Wizzkidd
Evil Dead

I just hope all the delays mean it will be good. I always say I'd rather a company delay a game than release it too soon. Hopefully this will be a good example of that.

Go Against the Flow.
Wizzkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crackdown 3