Yesterday 06:39 PM
18,119 Replies, 2,810,790 Views

Old 01-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Blizzard Wants Overwatch League To Revolutionize Esports

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
There's been much anticipation for the first season of Blizzard Entertainment's Overwatch League. As its first effort at organizing a global competition, the developers behind the popular hero shooter are looking to take things to the next level by thrusting the game into the broader realm of esports. With 12 teams scattered across the world, each with their own unique management and sponsorships, Overwatch League blends together many ideas and practices that are commonplace in traditional sports, but within the esport arena.

Ahead of the kick-off for the first season of Overwatch League, lead producer Jeff Kaplan (who also serves as Overwatch's game director) and league commissioner Nate Nanzer spoke about their somewhat disruptive approach to traditional esports. During our talk, they discussed the importance that community and transparency have in their league and what their hopes are for this season and beyond. While Blizzard Entertainment has deep ties within esports thanks to StarCraft's immeasurable influence over its nearly 20-year history, Overwatch looks to be the start of a new page for the developer and its connection to the growth of its community.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #2
MavenACTG
Lord

I just can't ever see them breaking into the mainstream. I attended the Overwatch World Championships last fall and couldn't follow anything that was going on; it was coldly corporate without a lively atmosphere that I assume are at ball parks.

The criticisms non-gamers have about this game compared to other sports are valid, like how difficult it is to follow and how fragmented the action can be. However, good luck to Blizzard since they must see the success of eSports as critical to the long term health of the company. If anyone is going to make a sport with as much staying power as basketball or football for the non-athletic, it is Blizzard.

What I find interesting is how people will get invested in characters who never change. How do I phrase this? Imagine if every basketball game had a Michael Jordan on one of the teams because the "player" isn't Michael Jordan. eSports are the only sport that would feature avatars.
MavenACTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blizzard, blizzard entertainment, overwatch