blackzc
Evil Dead

risk

Old 10-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #42
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
This box isn't powerful enough to push full HD (neither are today's consoles really, and this is a "today" console)
WRONG. Do a little research.

Quote:
The Wii U hasn't won me over with their online. It's slightly more elegant than the Wii, but not that much better, and no match for PSN or LIVE now, much less what we can expect next gen.
Where can I buy your fortune telling/ESP device?

Quote:

Matter of preference. Plus, people are going to get tired of holding a 2lbs tablet in their hand for multi-hour game sessions with those awesome Wii U specific games. It's equally as tiring as wiggling around a controller after a while.
Again, where can I buy your fortune telling/ESP device? How do you know its 1lb or less?

Quote:
No matter what you say,
Really? No matter WHAT I say? Even potential truth? Translation: I'm not listening to you, I hate Nintendo now... waah waah.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #43
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
GCN> PS2
N64>PS1
SNES>Genesis
NES>Master System

Nintendo doesn't run better specs than the competition for a few years and they are just now catching up to the other 2?

The economy is going to have an effect on the rick sony and MS are going to take. Watch and see.
I'd totally love to know how you quantify your console comparisons.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #44
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
Yes, especially because it is WELL KNOWN that the Master System was more powerful than the NES. That's why I bought it over the NES when I was 9 years old. That fateful decision is why I can't be part of the cool gamer group with all their Mario and Zelda nostalgia.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #45
blackzc
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by see colon View Post
Oops my fault, the master system stomped the nes. Other than that all those are true. Sure they trade wins here on some specs and there but overall nintendo is right near the top or at the top every gen. People throw out this nintendo makes underpowered gimmick and it gets old.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #46
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
WRONG. Do a little research.
You're too blinded by Mario to look at this objectively. Game wise, spec wise, this is a current gen console. Even Nintendo has said as much.

Not hardware, not online, not most games... everything hinges on what they do with the tablet. Very dangerous but with Smartglass (and probably something from Sony) people are taking it seriously... maybe tablet is the next gen piece like motion control defined this gen.

Quote:
Where can I buy your fortune telling/ESP device?
Don't need a crystal ball for this one; just some common sense and grounding in the history of the industry. For a big shot investor I'm surprised you are to ignorant/naive to draw this simple conclusions.

Quote:
1lb device
In this case no crystal ball, but I can't be more specific. Sorry if that twists your nipple. Granted it was a while ago, but that is a beefy tab even in the pictures.

Quote:
Really? No matter WHAT I say? Even potential truth? Translation: I'm not listening to you, I hate Nintendo now... waah waah.
Potential Truth? Meaning that you're also dabbling in potential deception. Your getting a mite zealous; be careful which path you travel down in your enthusiasm for this hardware.

It's sweet that you think anything you say is going to make people who stored a Wii for 5 years want to rush out buy a Wii U. Nintendo loyalists or those that don't feel like they wasted their time with the Wii will buy it no problem with or without you.

Then there are the people like me who have bought Nintendo hardware our whole lives but are saying "Hmm, I probably should have waited until that system showed more so I knew it was a good purchase for me." We're going to wait, with or without you egging us on.

So, yeah, a year 2 (if ever) purchase for me. That is a far cry from "hate Nintendo".
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #47
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's sweet that you think anything you say is going to make people who stored a Wii for 5 years want to rush out buy a Wii U.
Hey dummy (I have to stick in an insult after all of yours), I stored a Wii for 5 years too. Nintendo is my least favorite of the big three, and I have no fond childhood memories of Mario.

However, like I've said numerous times before, the Wii U corrects all the issues with the Wii, and I can tell a runaway success when I see it. Christ, why do you think I invested in GME to begin with? The Wii U!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 PM   #48
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Hey dummy (I have to stick in an insult after all of yours), I stored a Wii for 5 years too. Nintendo is my least favorite of the big three, and I have no fond childhood memories of Mario.

However, like I've said numerous times before, the Wii U corrects all the issues with the Wii, and I can tell a runaway success when I see it. Christ, why do you think I invested in GME to begin with? The Wii U!
The Wii U may make up some ground on the Wii, but it does very little to catch up to the other consoles *in this generation*. That's the point you're missing. Getting 50% further down the road is *better* but it still isn't bringing you home. Especially since the distance to make up will get longer when the other folks announce their consoles.

I hope it pays off for you, I even glanced at GME myself thanks to your evangelizing but I have a feeling that GME is going to start feeling some pressure once the real next gen shows up.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #49
see colon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzc View Post
Oops my fault, the master system stomped the nes. Other than that all those are true. Sure they trade wins here on some specs and there but overall nintendo is right near the top or at the top every gen. People throw out this nintendo makes underpowered gimmick and it gets old.
It's not just that. See, the thing with consoles in general, is that there isn't any real measure of "power". Master System had generally better specs than NES, yeah, so that one is pretty easy. Snes vs Gen was a mixed bag, where SNES had more ram and better graphics and sound hardware, but GEN had a much better CPU. And not by a little, it was a lot better. Most people are surprised to find out that many SNES carts have extra processors in them to supplement the SENS's weak CPU, and I'm not just talking about SuperFX. Even games like Super Mario RPG has one, though it's not really known to be a graphically intensive title. Do these extra processors count? There's one Genesis I know of that uses one (Virtua Racing) so it isn't that Genesis didn't have the capability to use them, it just wasn't needed.

Gamecube vs PS2 is another example, where GC offers very little on paper that it's superior to PS2. PS2, on paper, has more compute, higher geometry throughput with much higher flexability, more fillrate, larger storage medium and higher color depth. But again, it all depends on how you quantify a console's "power".
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
The Wii U may make up some ground on the Wii, but it does very little to catch up to the other consoles *in this generation*. That's the point you're missing. Getting 50% further down the road is *better* but it still isn't bringing you home. Especially since the distance to make up will get longer when the other folks announce their consoles.

I hope it pays off for you, I even glanced at GME myself thanks to your evangelizing but I have a feeling that GME is going to start feeling some pressure once the real next gen shows up.
And the point YOU are missing is that Nintendo still outsold the other consoles 3 to 1 combined even with its vast inferiority. Now that is actually not only caught up, but yes MORE POWERFUL, than the other consoles (though perhaps not by a lot), there is no reason not to think it will be the hottest thing since... well.. the Wii. Sold out pre-orders already speak to this.

As for next gen, MAYBE you have a point, BUT, all account have so far confirmed that those consoles will still have a physical media option. The only thing bad for GS is if one of the console makers gets the audacity to link physical media to your account. In the unlikely event that happens, you can be sure I will selling GME the day the rumour has any ring of truth to it.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #51
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
And the point YOU are missing is that Nintendo still outsold the other consoles 3 to 1 combined even with its vast inferiority. Now that is actually not only caught up, but yes MORE POWERFUL, than the other consoles (though perhaps not by a lot), there is no reason not to think it will be the hottest thing since... well.. the Wii. Sold out pre-orders already speak to this.
...It is only more powerful because it is next gen. Not by much either. Why would a guy with all 3 systems or just the ps3/360 buy onto another gimmick?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #52
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic Pope View Post
...It is only more powerful because it is next gen. Not by much either. Why would a guy with all 3 systems or just the ps3/360 buy onto another gimmick?
It's a huge HD DS on steroids. People called the DS a gimmick too. Look how that turned out.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #53
Syl
Evil Dead

Given that all consoles are basically reaching the point where they're nothing more than crippled computers with overpriced digital goods.

Gimmicks are all they have going for them.
Syl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #54
Agnostic Pope
Evil Dead

Quote:
It's a huge HD DS on steroids. People called the DS a gimmick too. Look how that turned out.
The DS is a dual screen gameboy with an awesome battery life and great 3rd party games. The WiiU is a console that is trying to push tablets on the casuals that seem to masturbate to them.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:29 AM   #55
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
The DS is a gimmick. The second screen never added anything to the gameplay that couldn't be done with a single touch screen.

It was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #56
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
And the point YOU are missing is that Nintendo still outsold the other consoles 3 to 1 combined even with its vast inferiority.
Now that everyone has bought one the other consoles have slowly (but surely) been catching up for several years. Just look at the hardware sales numbers. Wii is seriously declining (taking $225m of Nintendo's war chest along with it just this year) while PS/3 and Xbox have been gaining. And I bet those two see a lot more average use than the Wii. Attach rate also tells a different story, particularly as this is where the other two guys make their bank.

The Wii isn't mana from heaven, and the Wii U isn't going to shake the earth either in the way you're hoping for. No matter how many preorders the Wii U has GME has a long road back to $60. In addition, preorders they aren't any indication of success when the manufacturers cap the number of consoles to artificially inflate the sense of desirability. The Xbox and PS/3 maxed out their preorders too, IIRC and, like you said they got spanked the first few years.

Apple did the same thing with the iPhone 5 and crowed about their numbers and made a big ta-do about how they were out of stock and back-ordered by months; the media took that and ran so fast they beat Bolt. I went in yesterday and bought a new iP5 with no problem.

Nintendo makes 1m Wii U's. There are enough desperate fans to snap those up and give Nintendo a nice bounce in the typical news cycle because of the artificial rarity.

Are you telling me that you haven't been around for any console launch in the last 20 years? How could you miss this standard operating procedure?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #57
31 Flavas
Baskin-Robbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
The DS is a gimmick. The second screen never added anything to the gameplay that couldn't be done with a single touch screen.

It was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
*Blink* ... *Blink* Hello.... *snaps his fingers in front of your face*

I know that you and I had discourse over why the DS wasn't going to be of interest to anyone at all. That Nintendo's farce of a handheld was going to collapse into a quivering pile of Jell-O because *someone* was finally going to take handhelds seriously and not let Nintendo get away with bullshit.

I don't get how, retrospectively now, Sony was "zero competition".
[The DS] was a huge success because it had basically zero competition.
31 Flavas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #58
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Flavas View Post
*Blink* ... *Blink* Hello.... *snaps his fingers in front of your face*

I know that you and I had discourse over why the DS wasn't going to be of interest to anyone at all. That Nintendo's farce of a handheld was going to collapse into a quivering pile of Jell-O because *someone* was finally going to take handhelds seriously and not let Nintendo get away with bullshit.

I don't get how, retrospectively now, Sony was "zero competition".
Thank you! I was wanting to craft some kind of comeback to his absurd statement, but you did it for me, and so eloquently!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #59
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:

Are you telling me that you haven't been around for any console launch in the last 20 years? How could you miss this standard operating procedure?
Of course I have. I was on the front lines of the last one. And if the launch stock limiting is intentional, which I'm not convinced of, its a good move to build media exposure.

But there is a difference between "sold out for a day" and selling, I don't know, a million units, and "sold out for a day" and selling 30 million units. I'm betting on the later.

And the iPhone 5 was a disappointing seller outside the 24 hour launch window, that much is clear to everyone. I'm just betting the Wii U will not be.

Now go out and buy one. He who dies with the most toys wins.

Tags
nintendo, wii u