Weekend Gamer: What are...
Last post by Mad Max RW
Today 10:34 AM
6 Replies, 530 Views

Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

New Annihilation Trailer: Alex Garland’s Gothic Sci-Fi Film #Annihilation

Paramount Pictures and Skydance have released the all-new trailer for the sci-fi thriller Annihilation, director Alex Garland’s follow-up to his 2015 hit Ex Machina.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

This looks pretty great, at least based on the trailer.

I went from not knowing anything about it to wanting to go grab the first book of the Southern Reach trilogy.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
karaliusbronius
Evil Dead

Looks amazing, opening night for me!
karaliusbronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

The book was incredible. The author is a major liberal douchebag though, so I’ll steal this movie, this book and anything else he writes from now until the end of time.

Important lesson to people who create digital content - don’t be a douche or people will just steal your stuff.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

And I’m mostly kidding, since I purchased the books on iTunes and purchased them again in Hardcover.

I didn’t pay for his new book though, I just coudln’t do it after he was such a major ass during the whole last election season.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #7
MADxMrMike
Evil Dead

I liked the books but I’m not sure this movie will follow them(or the first book) closely. The terminology they used in the trailer for certain things was already wrong.

Xbox - reload in 3
PSN - MADxMrMike
MADxMrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:31 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Not familiar with the writer or the series. Looks like a good movie. I feel pretty decent seeing it with my movie pass since if I see enough movies it'll only be like $2.

I'll see about how to get the books in a way to minimize the income for the writer. Definitely a douche. Which is why I also don't support George R.R. Martin anymore

Entertain, don't preach fuckers.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 AM   #9
Qoz
Evil Dead

Wow.. You are all very sensitive.

Try to separate the work from the individual. It will make your life better!
Qoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:24 AM   #10
Drake_NS
Evil Dead

While I can understand it against a novel and author, a movie has so many other contributors and the author already has their money, pirating a movie always seems more petty and ineffectual (to the goal of not supporting the author) than boycotting the book.

That said, movie looks interesting. Will have to keep an eye out.
Drake_NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:36 AM   #11
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
I didn’t pay for his new book though, I just coudln’t do it after he was such a major ass during the whole last election season.
"Things you said offended my delicate sensibilities, so I'm going to steal your books from now on. I like you enough to read your books, but not enough to pay for them."
Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #12
brandonjclark
Subscriber

This looks cool, but why would the military (or whoever this is) send in four or five women and no burly men on this dangerous mission?
brandonjclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjclark View Post
This looks cool, but why would the military (or whoever this is) send in four or five women and no burly men on this dangerous mission?
The men all die.

The book kinda explains that there are lots of missions, some of them men, some women, some men & women. They were trying to figure out which group would best survive.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
"Things you said offended my delicate sensibilities, so I'm going to steal your books from now on. I like you enough to read your books, but not enough to pay for them."
Pretty much. I just don't see the need to support people with my money who go out of their way to be tremendous asshats on social media. I understand if people feel the same way about me, which is why you have always had the option to read this site for free.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #15
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Pretty much. I just don't see the need to support people with my money who go out of their way to be tremendous asshats on social media.
I dunno...I guess I'm of the mindset where if I decide to boycott something, I don't have anything to do with said thing.

For example, I really want to play Battlefront II, but I'm not going to touch the game because of what EA tried to do with it in terms of microtransactions. I'm not going to buy it used, I'm not going to try to pirate it...I'm simply not going to play it.

Quote:
I understand if people feel the same way about me, which is why you have always had the option to read this site for free.
Oh, sure, you're a giant asshat and I think you're wildly off-base most of the time...but, I still like you, the site and I love contributing when I can. It just kinda tweaked me, seeing you take the stance of so many petulant children who declare they're just going to pirate something because they got a hair across their ass; you're better than that, man.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Oh, sure, you're a giant asshat and I think you're wildly off-base most of the time...but, I still like you, the site and I love contributing when I can. It just kinda tweaked me, seeing you take the stance of so many petulant children who declare they're just going to pirate something because they got a hair across their ass; you're better than that, man.
I went out of my way to purchase those books, when it was easy to just download them for free. I wanted to support that author and support his works and for a long time I followed him on social media and he seemed super cool. Then the election came around and it wasn't just that he is a liberal, I've got a good buddy who is a liberal who I just love and I value his opinion on everything, it was the way Vandermeer was just a giant asshat about the whole thing. Just over the top douche.

I just couldn't give him my money after that. He's a great author and I'll still read his stuff, but he just squelched any desire I had to support him financially.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #17
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
I went out of my way to purchase those books, when it was easy to just download them for free. I wanted to support that author and support his works and for a long time I followed him on social media and he seemed super cool. Then the election came around and it wasn't just that he is a liberal, I've got a good buddy who is a liberal who I just love and I value his opinion on everything, it was the way Vandermeer was just a giant asshat about the whole thing. Just over the top douche.

I just couldn't give him my money after that. He's a great author and I'll still read his stuff, but he just squelched any desire I had to support him financially.
Oh, believe me: I completely understand where you're coming from. I've dropped authors in the past for some of the shit they've spewed in their free time. I haven't touched a book from Orson Scott Card since he went off a few years ago, for example.

The "Imma just steal it" mentality just grinds my gears, is all.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

I remember when it was totally forboden on the site to talk about piracy and and copyright infringement and so on.

For me if I enjoy something I just find ways to minimally support it. I know which KPIs are important to different businesses, and it's not just how much money something makes. Surprisingly even how much something gets stolen or when it shows up as stolen is a valuable KPI in and of itself.

Like how HBO boasts about how Game of Thrones is the most pirated show in history it is actually a selling point for them. Or how some companies use the fact a movie or software showed up on the warez sites only a few days before release as a measure of success for their own process of maintaining security.

So for me it's a time, place, and money thing to send my own message, especially if I have a historical buying pattern with them. I want the company or person to know I value the product but not as much as I used to.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #19
Mojopin
Evil Dead

Quote:
I know right? What a snowflake...
Mojopin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #20
Major Dan
Conductor Dan

But, but.... You don't have to pirate any thing , there is this place, completely legal too, called the Library where you can get BOOKS, CDs and even DVDs to check out and return them. Use them for the allotted time and no one cares. AMAZING I know, but true.

Tags
annihilation